The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 15, 2001, 05:45 AM   #1
ammo first

shotgun barrel cutting

Recently purchases two Rem. 870's has anyone ever tried cutting a barrel down to 19 inches? Do H.D. shotguns have choke options anyway? Seems I could save alot of cash by going to a good machine shop and having them wack off 7 inches (from 26) Anyone tried it? thanks.

President Reagan,an American Hero

Old August 15, 2001, 05:54 AM   #2
K80Geoff

You might consider going to a gunsmith instead. Just cutting the barrel may leave you with sharp edges and absolutely no choke. Even HD guns usually have some choke in them.
A gunsmith will finish the muzzle and attach a bead or other sight to the end of the barrel. He would also check to see if cutting the barrel is safe, some barrels might not have sufficient wall thickness where you want to cut to be safe.

Why not just look for a shorter barrel, they are out there if you look.

Geoff Ross
Old August 15, 2001, 06:02 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've bobbed a number of bbls in my sordid past. More than half the time,I've regretted same.

Used 18" riot bbls for the 870 are neither scarce nor expensive.I'd get one of those instead of hacking away.....
Old August 15, 2001, 10:22 AM   #4
Echo23TC

Recently did this to my 870 barrel, used a chop saw and made a practice cut on an old, bulged barrel first. The practice cut went perfectly, so I took a deep breath and made the cut on the good barrel. Wonder of wonders, it turned out ok, too. I cleaned up the rough, sharp spots with a wire wheel, then touched it up with some cold blue.
Of course, this was done to an old 870, which was bought with this in mind. It's going in to have a visit with the gun doc to have its shell latch restaked, and some SGT sights installed. Should be a HD/slug huntin' machine!
Old August 16, 2001, 03:43 AM   #5
ammo first

Question for Dave McC or anyone who knows, Where to purchase riot barrel (new or used) for Rem. 870 thanks.

President Reagan,an American Hero

Old August 16, 2001, 08:45 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good sources include range bbs, local gun shops handling police inventories, fellow members of your militia group(G), and even the mail order places like Cabela's.

I see little if any difference in handling between an 18" bbl and the 21" job on Frankenstein (A bob job that worked well), but others do. You may want to check out the Express "Turkey" bbls of that length, set up for tubes and quite good value for the money,IMO.
Old August 16, 2001, 04:44 PM   #7
plateshooter

I have had a couple of barrels cut down by a gunsmith and the muzzle threaded for choke tubes. The one thing that I learned is that many barrels that are shortened will shoot high if you just put a bead on the barrel. My smith welds a small " block" on the barrel and threaded a hole for a bead into the block. I then patterened the gun, and filed the block down till the pattern was dead center at 15 yds. ( remove the bead, lower the block, and reinstall the bead). Sort of like sighting in your shotgun. I have used these guns in competion, (IDPA type) with great results. Pick your choke, pick your range, and site for that. Total cost from my smith was $100.00.
Old August 20, 2001, 02:43 PM   #8
Benjamin

The best source for a cheap 870 riot barrel, that I have found, is from another gun nut. Thus, the question becomes, 'how can I find a lot of gun nuts?'

Try posting a WTB on the gear forums here, at l1a1.com, the newly reformed AK47.net, assaultweb, etc.

I posted an add on assaultweb for 870 stuff, and got a source in under 16 hours. Pretty good, if you ask me.

Best of luck.
Old August 21, 2001, 02:30 AM   #9
DML

Greg:

Drop me an e-mail and I can help you with a cheap 18" barrel. I tried to send you e-mail and it got kicked back.

Dennis