The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 13, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1
John S

Remington Model 12 .22 pump: won't "LOCK-UP" after dry firing it. Was just CLEANED

I have taken this gun apart & reassembled before, this time I can not get it to lockup/stay closed.

It will fire if manually loaded & extract them perfectly.
PROBLEMS:
THE WEAPON WILL NOT LOCKUP.
THE SHELLS ARE NOT LOADING FROM MAGAZINE HIGH ENOUGH FOR THE BOLT TO PRESS THEM INTO THE CHAMBER.

Magazine/Bolt Part. The shells in the magazine tube will not move up high enough on the Carriage Bolt FACE and are not pointed directly & correctly in line with the chamber & be loaded.

The part below & behind the shell is not pushing them up the front of the carriage bolt.
The other "part" is not getting shell in line with the chamber.

I have pulled gun apart again, removed the magazine tube, removed the bolt, verified Magazine carrier is it's position, and reassembled. The carriage bolt is quickly and correctly mateing with the attachment on the end of the magazine tube.
When I take gun apart to clean it I only remove firing pin and clean hole & replace it in the carriage bolt. I always leave the extractor parts intact and just brush out the powder and debris under the extractor.

Receiver Part: On the trigger/receiver side I pin the spring and then punch out the spring pin and the hammer pin/tube so I can tear down the hammer assembly, clean, oil and reaaemble it. I verify all is ok by pulling the trigger while holding the hammer, recocking it, and doing again. The temporary pin behind the spring is removed.

I them put the two halves back together and cycle the action, dry fire and it won't lockup!!

CONFUSED & WORRIED

John S

Last edited by John S; August 13, 2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: confusion on a sentance