The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 20, 2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Shael

1911 Carry Rigs

I was lucky enough to come into a pair of new Kimber 1911s recently - a vanilla Custom II (5" Gubment size) and an Ultra Carry II (3" chop-job). They make quite a pretty couple sitting next to each other!

Anyway, I recently picked up my CCW license and now I'm nosing around for holsters. I've seen a bunch of 1911 related posts on this site and thought some of you more experienced folks might be able to shed some light on my search.

I think I'm looking for two holsters: an IWB rig fit for daily carry of the 3" and a strong-side type that'll fit both frame sizes for IDPA shoots I'm planning on competing in soon.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Kramer IWB #3 in horsehide for my carry needs, but there are so darn many open-bottom belt-slide style holsters that'd hold both pistols that my mind is boggled.

Two questions:

Anyone here ever use the Kramer IWB #3, and if so what's the verdict?

What belt-slide / yaqui-slide style rigs do you think are worthwhile, knowing the primary use is IDPA but taking into account that I may want to use it for actual carry of a full-size 1911?

Shael
Old February 20, 2006, 09:40 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Ayoob said so but I didn't believe him

I own three Galco Yaqui Slides (for various guns, including my 1911s) that I was using just for IPSC and IDPA, but I thought I'd give them an actual 'street' test.

I found them to be intolerably unsecure in retaining my gun(s); utterly unacceptable. The exposed muzzle allows it to be pushed from the holster during normal activity.

Suggest either a thumb-break or different type.
That's what I do; I use a different type.
Old February 20, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3
l z rifle

Two years with a Kramer.

I have two full size Kimbers, tac custom ll & Polymer target. Both have their own IWB # 3 holsters no problems so far. Also got kramers double thick gun belt, don't get it, hard to get on and way too stiff even after two years. I got an instructor's belt from midway usa works fine. hope this helps.
Old February 20, 2006, 12:00 PM   #4
Shael

WESHOOT2 - I've heard similar comments about the Yaqui slides elsewhere too. Clearly not a direction I want to take. Thanks for the heads-up. A thumb-break isn't something I want ot have to muck with in the heat of the moment, so I think I'll use a differnet type as well.

l z rifle - Apprecite the confirmation on the Kramer rigs, and the warning about their belt. I had been planning to get a belt if I ordered the holster(s) from them.
Old February 20, 2006, 01:28 PM   #5
andyrnokc

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP for CCW. I have that in an IWB from Highnoonholsters.com. I wear the "closing argument" in horsehide. The fit and finish is outstanding, my gun never moves, and I feel confident and comfortable with it on. The more you wear it, the more comfortable it becomes. I would highly recommend these guys.

Good luck,
Andy
Old March 2, 2006, 04:45 PM   #6
ctc

For my Colt Defender I have two primary IWB I use for CCW both from Lou Alessie; CQC/I and W6DT. Here are a couple of in use pictures of both.

-- Chuck

W6DT

CQC/I

Old March 3, 2006, 12:56 PM   #7
dairycreek

Just another dog on Yaqui type holsters. Absolutely the sexiest holster concept on the market. However, there is one small problem. That being they are a lousy, lousy holster for carrying and retention. They just don't work well at all - but they look absolutely mahvelous.

GOOD SHOOTING