The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 9, 2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Coop de Ville

leapers or barska?

Hi All,

Posted this on ar15.com but no replies...

Just a quick question. I wanted to pick up an inexpensive range scope and was looking at the Barska electro and the Leapers golden image.... Both of these mount on the handle and look similar. It'll be on a bush m4 with carry handle.

Is there a clear difference b/n the two? I am more concerned about durability and zero holding than I am about features.

Thanks,

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old April 9, 2009, 08:45 AM   #2
ojibweindian

Quote:
I am more concerned about durability and zero holding than I am about features.
Then you'd be better of getting a Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, Sightron, Burris, or Weaver.

There are affordable product lines in each one of these companies. Leupold's VX1 and VX2, Nikon's Buckmaster and Prostaff, Bushnell's Elite 3200 and Elite 4200, Sightron's SII, Burris's Fullfield 2, and Weaver's Target series. All are roughly $200-$300, maybe a bit less than that if you look around.

Oh, and I've had positive experiences with a Bushnell Legend. The Legend goes for rougly $125.
Old April 9, 2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Coop de Ville

I knew that was coming

I actually don't mind spending the 200 for better glass. What I did like was the integral carry handle mount. I wanted something that would mount as low as possible.

My concern from what I've been reading is that the more connections (pieces) the less stable the scope. I figured the one piece would be more solid.

I will definitely look at your recommendations.

everyone is telling me to get the flat top because the carry handle is no good, but I can't spend for that set up right now.

Thanks,

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old April 9, 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
sholling

Barska, BSA, Leapers, NcStar and others of their ilk are so bad that the stability of the scope mount is likely to be the least of your worries. I don't have experience with carry handle mounts but their are several available from reputable companies. For scopes I'd look at a Weaver V3 1-3x20 for about $150 or a Nikon Team Primos for about $210 at Natchez.
Old April 10, 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
delta58

I bought a Hi-Lux 30mm red dot. It was less than $100 and I have been pleased with it. It is rail mounted but I think you might be able to get an adapter for a carry handle.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Coop de Ville

Ok, Been doing some research and am thinking about saving up and getting an Aimpoint or Eotech.

Most of my coworkers use Eotech and cite preferring them due to the shorter body tube. For some reason I seem to want to go for the Aimpoint (really want the green chevron ACOG but too much $). I do have an astigmatism that makes the Eotech reticle really fuzzy and busy (I hear you can reduce that by lowering the brightness...).

Everyone seems to like the Aimpoint comp m3 and m4.

The real question for me is the red dot that much better than the iron sights for 0-200 yards? Using the irons would "set me free" from being optics dependent and would simplify engagements.

Choices !
Old April 13, 2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Sport45

I don't think it really matters what you mount to a carry handle. It will still be too high to get a good cheek weld. At least that has been my experience. I get better groups with open sights than I do with a carry handle mounted Bushnell or red dot sight.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:49 PM   #8
mikejonestkd

They are both poor choices