The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2002, 11:11 AM   #1
Jack Straw

Lee 6 cavity molds -- opinions?

Just wondering about the Lee 6 cavity molds. I'm thinking of getting one to cast .45ACP semiwadcutters. I've used Lee's 2 cavity molds and they work fine, but do the 6'ers work just as well? It seems as if it might be harder to get them and keep them evenly heated. No point in pouring 6 at a time if they all come out different. What's your experience been?

Thanks
Jack
Old January 18, 2002, 01:52 PM   #2
cukrus

I like the Lee 6 cavity molds. They heat evenly, I don't find hot spots and get more quality bullets per pour than with non-aluminum gang molds. The cam operated sprue cutter is a snap; it's quicker and there is less clutter in my small work area without the mallet. The weight is apprecialby less than a 4 cavity non-aluminum mold so I don't need to wear my wrist brace. You can $ave if you only get a few of them.
Old January 18, 2002, 03:17 PM   #3
Jack Straw

Cam operated sprue cutter? What's that? I didn't even know the 6'er was different in that way. So how does it work?

Jack
Old January 18, 2002, 07:17 PM   #4
cukrus

On the Lee 6 cavity molds there is an aditional handle, linked to the sprue plate, which cams against the side of the mold to cut the sprues.
Seems much more efficient than swinging a mallet and it's always right in front of you so you never have to look for it.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:11 AM   #5
KP95DAO

Lee six cavity molds.

I have three of the six cavity molds and they are better than the seven other two cavity Lee molds I have. It takes no time to turn out 1000 bullets.
Old January 19, 2002, 11:25 AM   #6
swifter...

I've had good luck with 'em. My buddy, OTOH, had fits with his. I bought it from him & now can cast 200gr H&G clone a5t a great rate!
I use one for .45 Long Colt > the WFN is GREAT!<, and .41 Mag 240 GR, discontinued since, but a neat bullet in that caliber.

One of Lee's better products, where the engineering and the design came together.
Tom
Old January 19, 2002, 01:51 PM   #7
TEXAS LAWMAN

I Like Mine

Have one which casts 200gr SWC Tumble Lube-type for .45ACP.
Old January 19, 2002, 05:27 PM   #8
dick w. holliday

if i find a bullet i like as in the case of their 125 gr 9mm rntl i buy two molds just alike--now i can cast them almost as fast as i can shoot them--and you have to cast half as often...same with my 44 cal 240 grRN cowboy bullet.....i don't size either one of them tumble-dry-load-shoot.....Dick