The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 26, 2014, 10:10 PM   #1
chris in va

PAF Junior

Absurdly rare 25acp made in the late 50's, patterned off the Colt 1908.

My friend brought it to the range and tried shooting S&B through it but it simply won't eject the fired case. Not only that but the firing pin dent is way off center. I looked at the FP and its not bent.

Any ideas?
Old March 27, 2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I think I have some literature on the PAF, but it will take a while to dig up. It was almost a copy of a Browning, or looked close. The firing pin is a striker type and in-line with the cartridge, so it should hit close to center on the primer, but being made in S.A., it may have had looser tolerances.

First, check to see if the firing pin will stick out a good distance with the slide when all the way back. If it does not, it could have broken off, and someone rounded over the end, etc. The firing pin nose, in this pistol, is the ejector.

History:

Quote:
The “Junior” was designed by P. Nagel, a Dutch immigrant to South Africa, and was made from 1954 to 1957. The design is almost identical to the Browning FN Model 1906 and Colt Model 1908 vest pocket pistols, minus the grip safety. The three barrel lugs on the Browning are reduced to one, much like the CZ models 1936 and 1945. The disconnector is a vertical projection from the trigger bar like the one on the 1934 Beretta (and other Berettas of the early 1930s). Wood says the only original feature of the PAF is a small pin that is cammed upward by the manual safety to lock the slide. The gun is about the same length as the “Baby” Browning, but has a larger grip. The magazine holds 8 rounds.
Link:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/PAF/paf.html
Old March 28, 2014, 02:05 AM   #3
chris in va

Thank you very much, I'll have him check the firing pin.
Old March 28, 2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Your welcome. Have him check and see, with the slide all the way back until it stops, that the firing pin sticks out a little farther than the front nose of the extractor, when comparing the two from the breech face of the slide.