The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
ZVP

Tatical is popular!

For Fathers Day I got a copy of the 2013 Gun Digest and it has an excellent article on Tatical Shotguns in it!
I duno, it;s just me and I am an older Gentleman and I prefer the simple looks of Wood, a short BBL and no acessories.
Some of the new guns look like an undersea creature with lights and holo sights rails and acessory shell carriers. Their stocks are a cold plastic with metal parts showing all over and most all have pistol grips.
I guess I am behind the times but my Mossberg M550AD is plain, warm with wood, and filled with "00"Buck, it works.
BPDave
Old June 18, 2013, 12:59 PM   #2
DMZX

Most of that bling is after market stuff, but tactical shotguns with synthetic furniture are cool and selling very well right now.

My Mossberg 590A1 is plain, rugged and filled with "00" buck, it works.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Chief Brody

You're not alone. I'm not an old man, my shotgun does have a light on it, but it's got walnut furniture on it that I'd never remove.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Hawg

Tactical crap is just another way of getting money out of the video game crowd.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:06 AM   #5
336A

IMHO tactical is all about mind set not equipment. My Mossberg 500A will keep it's wood furniture as well. No extra bling just a reliable working shotgun.
Old June 19, 2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Skarekrow88

There's a fine line between tactical and absurdity. Anything more than ~3 bells or whistles including optics is crossing the line IMO. I believe you misspelled absurdity in the title of your post.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Jim243

Quote:
Tactical crap is just another way of getting money out of the video game crowd.
I am 70 this year and far from the video game crowd. Being old fashion is one thing, but being retro is something else. My feeling is you buy equipment for function not for looks. If you want a fine piece of furniture, go to an estate sale. (LOL)

Like they always told Charlie, they want tuna that tastes good, not tuna with good taste. (LOL)

Jim

As far as the light on the bottom of the mag tube, if you can't see what you are shooting at, you shouldn't have a gun in your hand.

Last edited by Jim243; June 19, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old June 19, 2013, 11:09 AM   #8
g.willikers

Now, can you honestly say you don't really want one of these:
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/c...acticality.jpg
Old June 19, 2013, 11:34 AM   #9
BigJimP

No, I don't want one of those....

If I wanted a tactical shotgun, I'd buy a Benelli M-4...
Old June 19, 2013, 04:18 PM   #10
WV_gunner

My guns get some sort of shell holder on the stock but my Mossberg has a side saddle. All of my shotguns have a wood stock. My favorite is a Marlin Goosegun. It has a 3 foot barrel, full choke, bolt action, detachable 2+1 magazine, and a wood stock. Only thing I'd like to do to it is get the barrel threaded and an 8 inch super full choke. Just because I think it's nifty. And having a giant gun just seems cool. It's probably my least practical gun but its far cooler than what some call tactical guns. If I ever get the chance I'm taking it turkey hunting. It's not practical because of its size, comes to my under arm, but why not?
Old June 20, 2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Boomer58cal

Here's a tacticool dodad I hadn't thought of...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SkHi2B-Tky...-photos-92.jpg

Maybe he can hold you light for you.

Boomer
Old June 20, 2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Doug S

I was recently shopping for a defensive shotgun. They were tough to find in my local area I suppose because of the current gun buying climate (politcally), and when I finally did find some, all I had to choose from was a Chinese H&R with pistol grip and fancy sites, or a basic Maverick 88 Security. I went with the Maverick, and I like it's simplicity. It does have the black stock, but if it had been available in wood, I would have bought it. Otherwise, it has none of the usual "tactical" features (no extended tube, simple blued finish, bead front site).

Of course, now that I've purchased one, the local shop just recently got a variety batch of 500s in. Oh well, I like my Maverick.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old June 20, 2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Hawg

This is all the tactical I need.

Old June 20, 2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Jim243

Quote:
I'd buy a Benelli M-4...
They had one on display for sale at Cabela's when I bought my Weatherby, but at $1,500.00 plus tax, It was out of my pay class.

Jim

Nice shotgun though.
Old June 22, 2013, 05:54 PM   #15
ZVP

Personalise it!

I have always looked at most things as I look at cars, there;s the crowd who'll drive a 4 door with Hubcaps and then there are the Hot Rodders who want individualisation.
I for one have been a Hot Rodder all my life and even if it's just a set of "Wheels" I change my vehicles! My guns too!
I can't get a picture up but my Tatical H/D gun is a Mossberg/Wards 550 with a chopped bbl and a sli[ pn recoil pad. Nothing extra just fast handlinng with a cylinder bore for shot spread. KISS.
There is seeminglly no end to the add-ons I could buy though! You may take it as far as your heart desires!
JMHO

BPDave
Old June 23, 2013, 07:44 AM   #16
GTOne

I recently bought my first defensive shotgun. I tried to imagine I wanted all the tacticool stuff, until I went and fingered up a few shotguns.

I ended up with a marine finish shotgun and put a shell holder on the stock. I will put a light on it eventually.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:53 AM   #17
kutz

Gonna stay with my M590A1!
Old June 23, 2013, 09:26 AM   #18
amd6547

I really don't understand why somebody who likes their shotgun in a certain configuration feels the need to criticize somebody else's choice.
I guess, at 56, I am also an "older gentleman".
In my case, I own a Beretta 1201FP semi auto...one of the Detroit Police surplus 20" barrel riot guns.
I wanted a short length of pull stock, and a better recoil pad. All I could find was a Choate pistol grip stock. While I normally would prefer a standard, sporting configuration PG, I bought the Choate. And, I have found it works great for MY purposes. That it is made of "cold" plastic matters not one whit.
Old June 25, 2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
I really don't understand why somebody who likes their shotgun in a certain configuration feels the need to criticize somebody else's choice.
I believe much of it has to do with the fact that guys with tacticool shotguns showing up on clay fields tend to pay little attention to rules of safety and etiquette. For example, the guy this last week who pointed his barrel down the line when loading and the idiots that fully load their magazines instead of only inserting a single shell. There is always a few using hunting loads exceeding maximum target range ammo.

I know that there are plenty of responsible shooters with black guns (I have a Remington 870 security model), but stuff like that doesn't endear the tacticool crowd to a lot of folk.

The other part of the story is that many people go on forums like FTF to get advice and many people interested in getting their first shotgun solicit that advice. The fact is that many experienced shooters thing that so-called tactical accessories are a waste of money or worse and so they voice their opinion. That opinion, right or wrong, is often one is better off spending the money they would drop on special sights, bayonets, extended magazines, weapon lights, adjustable stocks, and sidesaddles on range fees, ammunition, and lessons - clays or combat.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:14 AM   #20
okiewita40

My only tactical anthing is my shotgun. It is a Rock Island Armory M5. 20" barrel. Came with a plastic speedfeed stock. And a heat shield. It is still the way it came out of the box.

I see no reason to hang a bunch of stuff of of it.
Old June 27, 2013, 08:01 AM   #21
amd6547

My point is that I don't criticize others for their choices. If they feel comfortable with a PG, a lazer, a light and a red dot on their plastic stocked shotgun, then I'm happy for them.
I also don't get the supposed moral or taste superiority of wood stocks.
I can be be as old school as they come...I kept a 1920's Remington Model 11 as my shotgun for decades. And, when I got a Mossberg 500, it was a used, beat up ex security riot gun with wood...scratched, scarred wood.
With the Mossberg, I eventually saw the superiority of the Hogue over molded stock (for ME). Particularly the great grip and feel of the fore grip.
That was a big step, since the stock cost almost as much as I had paid for the whole shotgun, LOL.
The Beretta 1201FP is fine as is...I love it, and it really shoots great. I probably won't do anything to it...though I think it would be good candidate for one of those really small red dot sights. I would have to get a base drilled and tapped on the receiver for that.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:17 AM   #22
g.willikers

The only tactical accessory that really matters is the person behind the gun.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Waspinator

Quote:
I believe much of it has to do with the fact that guys with tacticool shotguns showing up on clay fields tend to pay little attention to rules of safety and etiquette.
Way to generalize people for what they shoot with. It is the person behind the weapon, not what the weapon looks like.... Thinking like that is why there are so many banned "assault type" weapons in many states today.

If you do a search for range accidents, I think you will find that the VAST majority of range accidents involve either the very young (a small child who steps into a firing lane) or the older 55+ crowd (who probably have those non-taticool, wood furniture weapons). I'm not trying to say something about older people, it is just that most of the times I see range accident reports, they usually involve someone who has been shooting for years and is up there in age. Is this due to experience complacency , diminished mental capacity, causing forgetfulness or just the law of averages seeing how they have been shooting for so long? who knows, but it is true.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:10 PM   #24
g.willikers

Hey, watch it, you young....er, you young.....
Oh yes, "Whippersnapper!"
Old June 28, 2013, 09:20 PM   #25
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
Way to generalize people for what they shoot with. It is the person behind the weapon, not what the weapon looks like....
I don't read range reports, but I know what I see. The serious incidents I have witnessed all involved shooters with tacticool or at least short barreled black shotguns. As for small children being a problem, everyplace I go their parents supervise them extremely well. There is nothing wrong with generalizing if the facts support a conclusion.

BTW, while my clays gun is an o/u wearing walnut, my other 12 gauge is a black 870 express that wears a short barrel with an extended magazine around the house. Once in a while it even makes its way to the clay's club sporting a 28" field barrel.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; June 28, 2013 at 09:38 PM.