The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2012, 06:52 PM   #1
LOLERCOASTER

Ballistics Gelatin.

I'm not entirely sure where to put this, so if it needs to be moved, let me know.

As many of you may remember, I have started to reload .25-06. This got me thinking about ways I could test each load's lethality in a more convenient and possibly more humane way than waiting for deer season to roll around. I have tried multiple ratios of plain Knox gel, but when I shoot it with a .308 to test whether it will work or not, it explodes into many chunks of what look like brain matter. The "real" ballistics gel is way too expensive. This problem may also be caused by the size of each chunk, as I only used a 5x7" tupperware container.

So, to the point, is there a place to get cheap ballistic gel, or have one of you found the magic ratio and mold size?
Old August 2, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Creeper

Quote:
I only used a 5x7" tupperware container.
Most deer worthy rifle rounds will blow that size gel block to smithereens. You'll want to go up to about 6-8" square by at least 14-16" long... to prevent it from splitting to the edges.
On large, fast calibers, I've built 10"X10"X20" boxes. I've built hinged wooden boxes lined with plastic to make it easier to remove the brick.

No "cheap" real ballistic gel mixtures... sorry. Knox is fine as a base. There are at least a half dozen "magic mixtures" on the interwebnet. This one is not bad, except for the 32 oz. size description on instruction #6.

YMMV

Cheers,
C
Old August 2, 2012, 09:52 PM   #3
jmortimer

Linebaugh uses "Bone Box" for interesting penetration testing: big bone and wet newspaper. Not sure how useful shooting ballistic gelatin is as you have "enough gun." If it's just for interest, water jugs or wet newpaper are a tougher test and much easier to set-up.