The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 1999, 04:20 PM   #1
Spyderman

Well, after quite a bit of consideration, I finally plunked down the change for a Benelli M1 Super 90. I've been reading about them and they sound great, and from what I can tell, I got a pretty good deal on it. Brand new in the box for $690. Anyway, the particular one I got is marked H&K and comes with no mag tube extension, and a traditional style stock, 18 1/2" barrel with screw in chokes. I do plan to add a mag extension, the Benelli tactical stock, and a surefire (or similar) forearm. I'm also considering a sidesaddle although I have heard that some folks have had problems getting it to cycle properly with it in place. Any advice from those of you who have already tried some of these or some word on the best (cheapest) place to buy these accy's, or even which parts or brands to stay clear of, would be greatly appreciated. I've built pump guns up like this before, but this is my first semi-auto. Thanks in advance...
-Spyderman
Old December 19, 1999, 09:44 PM   #2
Sea Bass

Spyderman,
Excellent choice. My Benelli was also my first foray into the semi 12ga. realm. I got the M-1 tactical M. It took my dealer over 4 months to get mine in the country. Reason is that this particular model is new, and that Benelli was working on a major military contract at the time. My M-1 was 1 of 10 in that particular backorder. I have the surefire light on it. The mounting of it is not as quick as a Rem. 870 model. But otherwise it is the same product. Chk Botach tatical . They have good prices fair market prices. I also have the Giles sling and a ext tube on it. I think it's one of the simplest and quickest scatterguns out there.
Old December 19, 1999, 10:03 PM   #3
Bennett Richards

I like the Benelli a lot. My 870 is my main gun but I REALLY liked the Benelli M3 PUMP/SEMI auto I saw. Great design. Best of both worlds.....
My next shotgun.

Ben
Old December 19, 1999, 10:04 PM   #4
Prichard

n

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited February 07, 2000).]
Old December 19, 1999, 10:59 PM   #5
hksigwalther

From what I understand, Prichard is right. You can have one or the other but not both on post-ban guns.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old December 20, 1999, 03:47 AM   #6
oberkommando

Have shot them with and without pistol and side saddle couldnt tell much differenc between either both funciton well and I like the pistol grip model for hip shooting but about the same for shoulder shooting. I want timer to verify my cycle rate as it seems awfully fast to me. The bolt take down is simplest of guns I own and can't imangine one any better.

As to reliability with added weight remember the M3 weigh about 1 pound more and it will shoot semi just fine. I have shot Winchester tactical in stock gun and they funcitoned fine and this was at high cycle rate. You made a good choice for a semi auto, now if they would offer it in a select fire belt feed?
Old December 20, 1999, 09:33 AM   #7
CMOS

Good choice Spydee. The guys are correct about the pistol grip stock. Bill Klinton said you can't be trusted with a pistol grip - but you may have the mag tube extension. Even IF I could put on a pistol grip stock, I wouldn't. I borrowed a friends M1S that did have the ptitol stock and didn't like it. I was much faster to bring the gun up to the "ready" position with the standard stock.

I personally do not like the side saddle. Too bulky.

I had a Pachmyer Decellarator pad installed and it made a world of differencen on the recoil. As you know, the M1's have nice kick. I have shot 200+ rounds in a single shooting session with no "effects" the next day .

Enjoy.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

Old December 20, 1999, 11:54 AM   #8
Spyderman

Okay, here's a question for ya... How can you tell for sure if the firearm was produced before or after the ban? I know many manufacturers stamp the date of manufacture on the receiver, but this one has no such date. It is stamped with the Heckler & Koch name, so I know it's not the most current production, what else can I look for? On Benelli's web site, they show the brand new M1-M with a pistol grip and a two-shot extension and no mention of any restrictions, and on the same page, show the M1-M "entry" gun with a 14" barrel that states "Special License Required, All NFA Rules Apply", so by this I'm led to believe that the M1-M with the "legal" barrel length is available without restrictions. Anyway, I obviously don't want to get myself in hot water by slapping on some "evil" and making the shotgun "more deadly", so please let me know. I do know that in the new Kalifornia ban, the only mention of semi-shotguns is that any shotgun with a rotating cylinder or detachable box magazine is considered an AW, as well as any semi-auto shotgun with BOTH a pistol grip AND a folding or collapsable stock. I'm not so clear on the "Criminals Protection Act of '94" so, more research is needed before I hit the catalogs for accys. If the particular shotgun I just purchased is in fact Pre-Ban, I'd like to know how to tell. Everything I can see says it might be, but this isn't something I want to guess at.
Old December 20, 1999, 01:51 PM   #9
CMOS

Spydee, you can can guarantee that for $690 yours will be a post ban. Most pre-ban's are going for $900+

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

Old December 21, 1999, 10:58 PM   #10
P-35

Congratulations on the shotgun, I would be leery of adding the sidesaddle since the single screw could pinch the aluminum receiver if you put it on too tight. If it is not tight enough the whole thing will flop and move with a full load of slugs or 00 buck. Just skip the whole thing, my .02. Onthe other hand get the light and a sling, also a buttcuff is handy.