The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 10, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
rmartin6821

WTB 2nd Gen or Uberti Walker Colt

Looking for a Uberti Walker Colt or maybe a 2nd Gen one if I can afford it.
Old February 10, 2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Check Gunbroker. There are always a few Walkers listed for sale there.

Here are some:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=273385306
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=272692184
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=272969392
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=272251151
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=273055408
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 11, 2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Beagle333

Uberti is a nice one.

Cabelas has it on sale for $399
This is the one I've had for 21 years. Can't say they're all this good, but mine has never had any problems after a few hundred balls through it.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ubert...h-All+Products
Old February 11, 2012, 10:03 AM   #4
rmartin6821

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I have been eyeballing the Cabelas site, but also looking around for a used one. May go ahead a pull the trigger on a new one, though.
Old February 11, 2012, 10:21 AM   #5
rodent.22

My experience was the used ones run right up with the new ones, the Walker is so imposing a weapon that I think the used prices reflect that. one shot a lot and nicked a little will go for $300-$350.I've seen a couple go cheaper, but seldom.
Old February 11, 2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Beagle333

I have never dealt with these folks, but saw this ad while looking around for other stuff.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RFT500A
Old February 11, 2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

S&S is a good bunch of folks to deal with. Have bought a few things from them with no problems.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 11, 2012, 12:45 PM   #8
rodent.22

Beagle they may not actually have them on hand. I know Cabelas has had them posted as backordered for months. I was in Lehi, Utah on vacation last year and bought their well-handled display model for $349.00. One HUGE benefit for buying Cabelas is their return policy, one of the few places a firearm is actually stood behind by the seller.
Old February 11, 2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Beagle333

Quote:
Beagle they may not actually have them on hand. One HUGE benefit for buying Cabelas is their return policy, one of the few places a firearm is actually stood behind by the seller.
I don't know anything about them. I just saw the ad.

I'm with you about Cabela's though. I had to return a London Navy this week. It arrived with the triggerguard misaligned with the frame. I didn't know if it was poor machining or bumped in shipping, and I was going to try to straighten it up, but the screws were cross threaded, so I sent it back. I don't want to have to work on one right out of the box.
Old February 11, 2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Willie Sutton

"It arrived with the triggerguard misaligned with the frame."

This is why my rule is "Never Buy Pietta Anything", including "Traditions" etc. Stick to Uberti imported by Taylor's or Stoeger. Stay away from Cimarron for your BP Pistols... I experienced a TERRIBLE customer service episode there and am still waiting for a nearly $1000 refund.

MOST of the stuff sold by Cabelas is Pietta. VERY LITTLE of it is Uberti. And what they list from Uberti is usually out of stock. There's a shortage of Uberti black powder revolvers available right now. Production cannot keep up with demand. On the other hand, there are tons of Piettas... because by comparison they are crap.

Beware the "Colt Second Generation Walker" now being sold on Gunbroker from Annapolis MD. It's an estate gun being sold by someone who does not know that "Colt Second Generation" and "Italian Copy of Colt" are two different things. I recieved some detailed pics and it's likely a ASM repro, not a Colt.

Uberti's are available on Gunbroker if you can wait a week... they pop up almost daily. Prices vary. Just grabbed a Uberti Remington 1851 this AM with the antique finish from there, at $225, which is about $200 off retail, so if you know what you are looking for you can do OK.

Willie

Old February 11, 2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Hawg

Pietta's are not crap. I've had quite a few of them over the years, most from Cabella's. I personally never had to send one back.

Last edited by Hawg; February 11, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old February 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #12
Beagle333

This was the first one I ever had to send back. The first 4 Piettas I got from Cabelas were great. They are really good about exchanging them. I'm not going to start knocking Piettas based on one experience.
Old February 11, 2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Hawg

Back to the original question, I think Hardy has a second gen for sale.
Old February 11, 2012, 10:26 PM   #14
rmartin6821

Thanks for the advice!

Thank everyone for the advice and links to various locations. Decided to purchase new from Cabelas. I have had excellent experiences with them and know they will back their products. Looking forward to owning my first black powder revolver.
Old February 11, 2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Beagle333

And welcome to the forum. Check back with us often and discuss your new Walker, and post pics!
Old February 12, 2012, 12:56 AM   #16
Willie Sutton

I second the above... Welcome! You're among friends!

Let me temper my Pietta bias comment as well... for a few dollars more than a Pietta, you can get a classier pistol that does not have garish "Made in Italy" and all other sorts of markings on the sides of the barrel. To me... that's a deal breaker. For others... well, maybe not. You pays yer dime and you gets yer ride and as long as you're happy, you are happy. Uberti's do seem to always be "just" a little nicer than Piettas, at "just" a few bucks more. No offense intended, and if they revised their barrel marking scheme I might actually consider them.

You'll love your Walker. They are a hoot to shoot.

Willie

Old February 12, 2012, 03:45 AM   #17
radom

Me I will deal with the markings on the things vs the Uberti issues such as the arbors being too short. Prety dont make a better working gun.
Old February 12, 2012, 07:36 AM   #18
Hawg

I wish Pietta would move their markings too but Uberti to me isn't worth the extra bucks. Close to 100 isn't what I call a few.
Old February 12, 2012, 12:18 PM   #19
Willie Sutton

Hmmm: Show me a $100 difference in advertised price between a Uberti "x" and a Pietta "x" from mainstream sellers please?

Bearing in mind that there is no such thing as a "Brass framed 1860 Army" other than Italian copies", let's stick with steel frame 1860 Army copies as a comparison:

We all know that Cabelas is pretty much a price leader in all of this stuff... try this: They sell Pietta 1860 Army Frame revolvers for $240

S$S sells Uberti (imported by Taylor's) Steel Frame 1860 Army Revolvers for $280.

Uhh... <sigh>... that's $40 more for the Uberti. That's a no-brainer decision for me to make to not have markings on the gun that shout out "replica".

Do not confuse anything with a brass frame with any of the steel frame stuff. You will see both brass and steel frame "versions" of the same pistol being offered at different prices, sometimes by the same vendor. NOTE that there were NO brass frame "1860 Army" revolvers manufactured by Colt. This is purely a Farb-Fantasy Gun, but... to compare prices:

Midway: Pietta Brass frame "1860 Army Farb-Fantasy": $259

Midway: Pietta Steel frame 1860 Army: $299

So... if you compare BRASS Pietta and STEEL Uberti it's $80... and it's not a fair comparison.

You can find "Traditions" marked Pietta BRASS FRAME 1860 Army Farb-Fantasy revolvers for about $220.. and you can find Uberti steel frame 1860 Army's from Cimarron for over $400 if you REALLY try. But you are comparing apples and applesauce... for any actual one-on-one comparison there is no $100 difference in what a sensible shopper will pay for the same description of an item between Uberti and Pietta.

To me, I'd gladly pay $100 for no markings, as I hate Farb-Anything and truthfully I'm not terribly price sensitive, but... I don't see that as the average difference in price.

I've never had a bad experience with any of the modern (IE: not 1960's) Uberti's and I've owned (and own) a big-box-o-them. I've opened up Piettas and looked at the internals and.... uhh.... <sigh>... well, it's the difference between Colt and H&R. Both work. Different corporate view of "quality". There is a reason for any price difference.

Sensible shopping really closes the price gap between the manufacturers.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old February 12, 2012, 02:51 PM   #20
Hawg

Well to me most of the brass framers don't exist including all the .44's. Some of the .36's do have some historical connections. Usually Cabela's has a sale on and if they don't you can wait awhile and get Pietta's for 179.00 and free shipping. To me that's a no brainer.
Old February 12, 2012, 04:40 PM   #21
Willie Sutton

"you can wait awhile and get Pietta's for 179.00"

Not to doubt, but: I'd sure appreciate a note next time you find steel frame 1860 Army copies made by *anyone* for $179.00

You might be right, but in my gut I 'spect it'll be a long while before I get a note...

I'd still pay more (and always do) to not have those stupid markings. Why can't Pietta figure this out?

Willie

Old February 12, 2012, 07:10 PM   #22
mykeal

Quote:
I'd still pay more (and always do) to not have those stupid markings. Why can't Pietta figure this out?
Willie - I think you're missing something here. Pietta has figured it out, and they don't care. And they keep selling them, hand over fist, frequently selling out. That should tell you that you're in the minority.

There's a whole lotta people out there who understand perfectly well that they aren't buying an authentic Colt black powder pistol, so the lettering on the barrel isn't an issue; they'd rather spend less money. They know they aren't going to fool anyone into thinking that they're shooting an authentic Colt so why get all worked up about a few letters stamped on the barrel? And apparently there's enough of them that Pietta manages to stay in business, in fact, more than just staying in business.

Seems to me they've got it figured out; it's someone else that hasn't.
Old February 12, 2012, 07:33 PM   #23
Hawg

I bought a 51 Navy for 179.00 a few months ago. The 60 was the same price, both steel frames. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=179+0
Old February 12, 2012, 10:23 PM   #24
Willie Sutton

Cool...

For that, I'd buy the 1851 with the octagonal barrel, de-blue it, and use a flat file to take off the markings and then antique it. be a good defarb and cheap enough to experiment with.

Willie

Old February 12, 2012, 10:27 PM   #25
Willie Sutton

"Seems to me they've got it figured out; it's someone else that hasn't"

No need to offend, I pay my money to the vendors that offer me what I want.

Uberti has about $7K of my cash and Pietta has zero... and that's what makes a horse race.

Have any idea how many people pay good money to have markings removed from replicas? It makes a difference to people who do historical reinactments.. and they pay for accuracy. Uberti has their market sewn up. Pietta could obtain the market with a simple change of location of their stamps.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

Tags
44 caliber , uberti , walker colt