The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Deja vu

is it dangerous to rebore a 2 3/4 inch chamber to a 3 inch chamber?

the gun I am thinking is a stouger SXS. There are several reasons I would like to do this.

Unless I am mistaken is not the pressure level in a 3 inch and a 2 3/4 inch the same?

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 5, 2012, 10:02 PM   #2
30-30remchester

Most side by sides are built different than other guns. The chamber area is actually a seperate piece of steel that is welded to the barrels. When 2 3/4" guns are the chamber is very near the barrel welds. When extending the length of a chamber, the lengthened chamber can extend past the reciever block and actually extend into the welded on barrels. Not a safe practice. This advise came from a top gunsmith, and former president of the custom gunmakers guild, so I assume it to be correct.
Old August 6, 2012, 07:56 AM   #3
oneounceload

Where you want to lengthen is one of the weaker parts of the barrel as mentioned above
Old August 6, 2012, 09:42 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

From the Stoeger web site all the SxS 12 and 20 gauge guns come with 3 inch chambers.
The maximum service pressure for the 2 3/4 and 3 inch loads are the same. SAAMI list 11,500 psi for both chamberings.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; August 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:44 AM   #5
PJR

Quote:
Most side by sides are built different than other guns. The chamber area is actually a seperate piece of steel that is welded to the barrels. When 2 3/4" guns are the chamber is very near the barrel welds. When extending the length of a chamber, the lengthened chamber can extend past the reciever block and actually extend into the welded on barrels. Not a safe practice. This advise came from a top gunsmith, and former president of the custom gunmakers guild, so I assume it to be correct.
Most modern sxs and o/u makers use the monobloc barrel making process described above. The barrels are not welded onto the chamber but inserted into the breech, soldered in and then the chamber is cut. The process is also known as sleeving.

Here's a good description of the process.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=nLq3...barrel&f=false

The risk of lengthening a chamber is the same whether monobloc, chopper lump or any other type and that is removing metal where the barrel beings to taper and pressures are high. What matters is how much wall thickness is left after the chamber lengthening is done. Also depending on where you are the gun will be "out of proof" which is not an issue in North America because thare are no proof laws.

Stoegers typically have thick barrels. I doubt lengthening them 1/4" of an inch would reduce the barrels walls below acceptable minimums but would take the final word on the issue from a gunsmith.

Last edited by PJR; August 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM.