The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 23, 2006, 09:08 AM   #1
Nigelcorn

Has anybody else noticed...

That a lot of people on this site sound like they spend more time preparing for the remote possibility of an attempted home invasion by a group of foreign operatives than they do spending time preparing for things that likely will kill them? I am fairly new to this site, but I have spent the last few months reading articles every day, and have noticed a trend, particularly on the Tactics and Training forum. The trend is this: people post on this site about how they choose their entire wardrobe, where they will eat out with their families, what activities they will enjoy, etc based on their perceived threat of some random person trying to kill them for no reason. Don't get me wrong, I believe in being prepared; I think CCW is a great idea and will carry as soon as I move to a state not run by liberal tree-hugging hippies. However, I wonder how many of those that spend so much time thinking about and planning tactics for a home invasion are also spending time to exercise so that their blood pressure doesn't get to high. Heart disease kills way more people than crazed lunatics attacking a random home with apparently no motive other than brutal murder. If we were to live our lives in fear of every thing that could possibly kill us like some people profess to on this site, we would never drive in a car (accidents kill more people than random home invasions), we would never eat anything with cholesterol in it (strokes/heart disease) etc., we would exercise every single day to avoid diabetes (kills more people than random home invasions). I guess what I am saying is that it seems that people are letting this irrational fear of getting killed at random run their lives more so than the rational fear that other lifestyle choices really will shorten their lives.
Again, don't take this to mean that I am anti-gun, I am a big fan. I do think that guns and CCW shouldn't be controlling our lives to the extent that they do with some posters on this site.
Old September 23, 2006, 09:14 AM   #2
PythonGuy

Must be hell to live like that, I agree.
Old September 23, 2006, 09:35 AM   #3
garryc

The subject of this forum is self defence tactics. That fact causes a Concentration of thought on that subject. Just like if you went to a site that discusses flower gardens, people on that site would seem obsessed with flowers.

Last edited by garryc; September 23, 2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old September 23, 2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Severian

garryc's right.

This forum is about Tactics and Training. This site is about firearms. Posts about proper diet, excercise regimens, and safety while driving would be off topic. While that information might be good, it would be irrelevant to the site.

Many people may sound "paranoid" or "obsessed," but that's because what they post must be relevant, i.e. T&T and firearms. I've been lurking around enough to know that most people here probably also consider diet, excercise and driving to be just as essential to their well being as CCW and training. This just isn't the place to discuss those other things.

That's the way I understand it, at least...

Severian

Marty Robbins, Patsy Cline, Ernest Tubb and Red Sovine, Jimmie Rodgers, and old Lefty was my friend.
Old September 23, 2006, 10:52 AM   #5
DonR101395

Nigel,
I am guilty as charged. It's probably a carry over from my work. I try to maintain a level of awareness where ever I am at. As for choosing where I eat and recreate, shop it's a personal choice not to do spend my money with businesses who don't support 2A.
Old September 23, 2006, 10:57 AM   #6
atlctyslkr

Most of the T&T posts are overblown but they sure are entertaining.
Old September 23, 2006, 11:11 AM   #7
tony pasley

prepare for the worst, hope for the best, then deal with what comes.
Old September 23, 2006, 11:16 AM   #8
AScorz

Better to have it and not need it, rather need it and not have. Thats what my pops would say.
Old September 23, 2006, 11:22 AM   #9
PinnedAndRecessed

You're right, Nigel. And I won't go into detail how right you are so as not to offend the sensitive.

But I expect you already have observed what I would say.

Many posters on TFL (and her sister site) are obviously juveniles. This is where the whole "mall ninja" comedic routine comes in. I seriously doubt they even own guns. Well, maybe paintball or airsoft.

Many others have apparantly read a great deal about self-defense, but based on an informal poll I recently conducted on this, and other, boards, it's obvious they have little, if any, real world experience in their "area of expertise."

And then there are those with both the training and experience. If one were to anticipate a career in the military or law enforcement, these people are worth listening to.

Whichever case, though, it is like atlantacityslicker said, "It sure is entertaining."
Old September 23, 2006, 12:20 PM   #10
PythonGuy

Garryc said:
Quote:
The subject of this forum is self defence tactics. That fact causes a consitration of thought on that subject. Just like if you went to a site that discusses flower gardens, people on that site would seem obsessed with flowers.
Yes, but I bet they wouldn't discuss taking a hoe into the bathroom, or keeping an eye and the tree next to the rose bush because it looks suspicious. The forum is for obsession with guns, not paranoia of life, not solving every problem with lethel force, not covertly seeking permission to use or flash their guns.
Old September 23, 2006, 12:49 PM   #11
KC135

Survey

Over the past 10 years or so I have asked this question on perhaps 10 gun sites. 'Do you carry all day every day?'

A few answer yes, most qualify their answer with 'except for' or 'when I feel' or 'if I am going' or 'when I am at', or 'I can't because' etc, etc etc.

The vast majority of people who have license/permit/CCP/LCP, do not carrry on a daily basis.

How do I know? Well for 16 years I ran a full line gun store in a mall. I was located in one of the oldest 'must issue' states. Also member of several gun clubs. 90% of my customers [except LEOs on duty] did not carry even tho they has LCPs, and 80% of the members of my primary gun club did not carry[had to have permit to join].

This site is here for us to learn, and enjoy, and yes play TEOTWAWKI, etc.

Then there are those who ask as they get into my vehicle 'Long gun behind the seat?' already knowing my answer will be in the afirmative, and I know they have at least two guns on their person.
Old September 23, 2006, 01:18 PM   #12
pax

I don't know what it is about human nature that causes people to say, "Everyone who doesn't live their lives in exactly the same way I live mine is either insane or stupid."

All I know is that it's really rude and tiresome.

People who don't carry everywhere aren't necessarily "sheeple."

People who do carry everywhere aren't necessarily "paranoid."

And people who get their jollies by insulting each other really don't belong on what used to be the most polite firearms discussion board on the 'net.

pax
Old September 23, 2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Wildalaska

Quote:
I do think that guns and CCW shouldn't be controlling our lives to the extent that they do with some posters on this site.
Bravo!

Quote:
And people who get their jollies by insulting each other really don't belong on what used to be the most polite firearms discussion board on the 'net.
There is a difference between insult and sound critisim (spell check hangover)...If I say to a person who carries a gun while sitting on the potty in his fortress (in a low crime rural area) that he is a paranoid idiot...thats an insult. If I say that there is no rational reason for that type of behavior, thats a sound critism. Politeness is paramount as are impressions to lurkers.

Now its time for my Kevlar meteor helmet to go on

WildbesidesificarryinthepottyilldropmyguninthecanAlaska
Old September 23, 2006, 02:00 PM   #14
Nigelcorn

Pax, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was insulting others, that isn't what it was meant to be. I wanted to see if people other than myself thought that many posters on this site take it past the point of rational concern for one's life and into the realm of paranoia. I've read several posts where people say that they won't go to certain restaurants because they can't sit in a place where they can see all the other customers enter and exit. That, to me, is beyond reasonable caution. I'm sorry if I offfended anyone, again, that wasn't my intent.
Old September 23, 2006, 02:31 PM   #15
Epyon

Wild Alaska...

Don't forget your S(H)TF fabric to protect you from hits to the body too!!

Epwishicouldgetmyhandsonthatliquidarmoryon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old September 23, 2006, 03:54 PM   #16
PinnedAndRecessed

Quote:
I'm sorry if it sounded like I was insulting others,
Don't worry about it. You weren't.
Old September 23, 2006, 03:58 PM   #17
DonR101395

Quote:
I'm sorry if I offfended anyone, again, that wasn't my intent.
Never thought it was meant to be.
Old September 23, 2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Chuck Dye

Nigelcorn,

You are largely on the mark, I think. The problem is exacerbated by the self selecting nature of an internet forum. As you spend time here you will build a short list of those you take seriously and one of those to ignore.

Over two years ago, I began a post which I left in my document folder. Perhaps now is the time to post it.

I am so inadequate! Or I could become convinced I am if I were inclined to grant any weight to many of the posts on The High Road or The Firing Line.

Oregon has open carry and I, by failing to carry openly at every opportunity, am letting down the cause.

Oregon is a shall issue state and I did not file for a permit the instant I established residence. Not only am I letting down the cause, I have willfully endangered myself and those I might defend.

I do not have a plan for killing everyone I meet: what a Darwinian blessing that I have not fathered any children.

I do not own a BOB, a BUG, or a dedicated SHTF vehicle: clearly I have my head in the sand.

I have kept "minor" caliber weapons at the ready: what a wretched, foolish, obstinate, so-and-so I am.

I do not own, and I have declined many opportunities to acquire, legal semi-auto versions of battle rifles: I am, clearly, an idiot, and will be one of the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

I do not worship John Browning, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, Masaad Ayoob, Pondoro Taylor, Marshall & Sanow, or any of dozens of other authors of gospels. I, in my willful ignorance, have just not seen the light.

I have not exhausted any of my resources, physical, fiscal, bandwidth, or political, in haranguing my personal collection of political hacks over second amendment issues: I am at best failing the cause but more likely am a latent anti.

I own only 13 firearms and, with the exception of rimfire, rarely shoot more than 150 rounds in a month: I am a poseur, dismissable by the society of true shootists.

NOT!

What I am is capable of critical thought. I am saddened that anyone should find themselves bullied by this or any forum’s postings into buying, selling, believing, disbelieving, doing or not doing anything, including abandoning this forum.

The only time I have problems with The High Road or The Firing Line is when I discover I have fouled up and offended someone on a very short list of people who have earned my respect by the quality of their posting.

Oh, and for what it may be worth, Pax is on both my "PAY ATTENTION" and "DO NOT OFFEND" lists
Old September 23, 2006, 04:18 PM   #19
orionengnr

Pax doesn't miss the mark

too often, does she?

Certainly hit it this time.

That's why her posts are invariably worthy of reading and further reflection.

There are very few people here that I would make that statement about, and you are free to disagree.
Old September 23, 2006, 04:51 PM   #20
Jason607

One of the best ways to protect yourself from attackers, weather common thugs on the street trying to steel a buck, some home invader, or even a road raging person loosing thier temper, is not to worry about what caliber your firearm is and what it did in some gellitin. No, for one is to stay out of situations that get you involved. Stay out of high crime areas, don't be apart of some hotheads game. Another thing is not to meke your home an easy target. Another thing is to keep a cool head. If you look scared when you end up in a bad area filled with thugs, you make yourself a target. If you don't look afraid, and look confident, they might think twice. Looking like a victom, that increaces your likleyhood of a victom. Kind of like a deer with a limp in front of some presuing wolves.

Don't let everyone and thier cousin know what all you own that is valuable. People talk, word spreads. Even though the people you told may be good, they are at a bar or something, people talk to talk, next thing you know the whole bar knows where valuable are. I know people who have a lot of get-to-geathers, they usually end up getting robbed one time or another. I remember in H.S., people would throw parties, freinds invited freinds. Usually, things got stolen at the party, but so often, thier houses got robbed. People who show off, often get robbed. Don't wear a bullseye and you won't be targed as much.

I generally keep to myself. I stay away from drama. I am very gaurded with people I don't know.
Old September 23, 2006, 05:25 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

I have noticed that there are people who seem to behave as if NOT being prepared for a particular occurrence actually provides some level of protection against that occurrence. As if the idea or act of being preparing for something might actually jinx them and make it happen.

This extends down to things as simple as choosing whether or not to lock doors.

People choose the level of preparedness that they feel comfortable with and then often find it necessary to ridicule those who choose any other level. The difference is that the unprepared tend to be far more vitriolic and passionate in their criticism of the prepared than vice versa. I think that relates back to my previous observation.

Me? I've read too many stories about people who decided it was a good idea to close the gate AFTER the cows had gone out to leave mine open.
Quote:
Many others have apparantly read a great deal about self-defense, but based on an informal poll I recently conducted on this, and other, boards, it's obvious they have little, if any, real world experience in their "area of expertise."
Most people learn by experience. Some by their own, some by the experiences of others. I'm not ashamed to say that when it comes to self-defense, so far I've done all my learning from the experiences of others. But that doesn't mean I am going to demean those who feel that tasting for yourself is the only way to know an egg is rotten.

Last edited by JohnKSa; September 23, 2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old September 23, 2006, 05:28 PM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, I didn't find much fun or arguments on the heart attack forum. Nor was the going bankrupt forum that interesting.

I find arguing about tactics enjoyable. I would rather spend a day at the IDPA match - Shooter Ready - then at the Cholestrol lowering picnic. Heart attack victims ready - draw your salad gun.

I was wondering what round to use on killer spinach. Doug hasn't posted a scenario on it yet.

Yes, most people are living Walter Mitty lives as are those on the Superman forum debating about the Hulk vs. Superman.

However, there are many risks in life - and crime is one. Engaging in conversation is fun. Calling yourself IronBlade1911Warrior and saying the shotgun is the ultimate HD gun - why not?
Old September 23, 2006, 05:36 PM   #23
John28226

Pax, as usual, I am impressed with your logic and wisdom. And, of course I agree. Funny how that works! If I cared about what someone thought about were I eat, why I carry a handgun or when I exercise I might feel differently.

I learned a long time ago that there are enough ways in the world for everybody to have one. It is your life. Do with it what you will but do NOT attempt to control how I live mine.
John
Charlotte, North Carolina

Where all the children are all above average, the women are all beautiful and the criminals have all moved to New York and California.
Old September 23, 2006, 05:44 PM   #24
Wildalaska

Quote:
Where all the children are all above average, the women are all beautiful and the criminals have all moved to New York and California.
O really?

Charlotte, NC New York, NY National

Murder: 8.9 7 5.5
Forcible Rape: 47.14 17.63 32.2
Robbery: 420.9 300.9 136.7
Aggravated Assault: 622.2 361.9 291.1
Burglary: 1816.2 322.2 729.9
Larceny Theft: 4249.8 1530.8 2365.9
Vehicle Theft: 1023.9 260.1 421.3

WildguessthecriminalsstayedAlaska
Old September 23, 2006, 06:28 PM   #25
tydephan

*Takes blood pressure while sitting, blindfolded, in the corner of my safe room and field stripping my Glock with one hand.*

Did someone say something?

Seriously. I agree with Pax.

Can't we all just get along.