The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2005, 04:48 PM   #1
dm1333

Skeet question

Any one have any good guides or references for shooting clay pigeons? Especially with using clay pigeons to improve your wingshooting skills. I started to shoot clay pigeons to practice for upland bird season and I want to work on my technique. With my pump I don't seem to have any problem shooting some doubles, and with my 20 gauge single shot I probably smoke 20 out of 25 on a consistent basis now. The problem is that I just started shooting without looking into the "fundamentals" of shotgunning, and I don't want to pick up any bad habits. After 21 years in the military I do have a really good grasp of the pistol and rifle. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 31, 2005, 05:38 PM   #2
kudu

I would suggest finding a good trap and skeet shooting club that has either an instructor or someone that would be willing to work with you that others recommend. Also look up in the search function Dave McCracken and 101 threads. He has very good advice in regard to fitting and technique. He is also on www.thehighroad.org

Welcome to the wonderful world of shotguns.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:10 PM   #3
HunterTRW

A comprehensive, basic primer on the shotgun shooting games is The Gun Digest Book of Trap & Skeet Shooting by Chris Christian (the ISBN is 0-87349-163-7). This book also includes complete coverage of sporting clays, and should provide you with the fundamentals.

Kudu's point about seeking out a competent shooting instructor is well-advised. He/she can help you develop a consistent shooting form that will help result in more birds in your game bag. The instructor can also make corrections in the key components of stance, gun-mount, grip on the fore-end, looking at the target and ignoring the barrel, etc., before they become bad habits.

Congratulations on joining the ranks of the scatter-gunners. Ours is a hobby that can literally provide a lifetime of enjoyment.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old May 31, 2005, 07:31 PM   #4
dm1333

let me throw a few more things into the mix

I've been bird hunting for quite a few years with a shotgun, I just recently started shooting clay pigeons for fun and practice. The nearest skeet club is over 1.5 hours away over very windy mountain roads, so an instructor is out. But I will check out what you guys have given me so far. Thanks for your help.
Old June 1, 2005, 04:42 AM   #5
K80Geoff

The Clay Target Handbook by Jerry Meyer. Best source of information. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...06328?v=glance
Old June 6, 2005, 07:39 PM   #6
Skeetin'870

The distance to your range shouldnt affect if you shoot or not at your club there are people who know what they are doing and can help you.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 6, 2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Nnobby45

Get your head down where you want it and ALWYS bring the gun to the face, not the face to the gun. Do your practice with your shotgun down, safety on, just like bird hunting. Or International Skeet style, with butt below the elbow. For informal practice with your own thrower, don't call for the bird---let the thrower surprise you.
Old June 6, 2005, 09:02 PM   #8
sm

Dave McC, yeah I heard of him, read some of his stuff. Seems to be a right nice fellow.

Fred Misseldine wrote two books : Score Better at Skeet and Score Better at Trap

Misseldine writes about gun fit, how to shoot the various stations, and why you miss- among other things. Try www.abebooks.com

Some folks say Misseldine and Brister are "old school" - I disagree. I learned and still shoot skeet low gun, am a pass thru shooter, worked for them, works for me.

Correct Basic Fundamentals, you never stop learning them, never stop practicing them.