The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Qtiphky

204 Ruger questions and light loads

I recently picked up some Dogtown bullets in 34 grain weight. I couldn't find load data for them so I asked around here and got a couple different answers. Some said to use data for 35 grain Bergers and others said to reduce that by 10% and work up. I compromised.

The starting load for a 35 grain Berger was 28 grains of Varget. I loaded at 26, 26.5, 27, 27.5 and 28.

The most accurate load out of my CZ 527 American was the 27 grain, followed by the 27.5, then the 26.5 and then the 28 grain, (which was the listed minimum for a 35 grain bullet.)

Because the most accurate were below the listed minimum load, my question is this. Can I start loading these in quantity and experience no adverse effects to my gun? None of them showed pressure signs, but will they leave more powder residue in my gun, will they cause problems in the long run, what is the real pressure and is it too low?

I know there are a lot of guys here who know far more than me and that is why I am asking.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Qtiphky

Nobody has any thoughts?

No thoughts or opinions on this?
Old April 22, 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Bitman

If the recommended starting load was 28 grains, why did you start at 26?
I'm no expert, but I've been told reduced loads can be worse than overloads.
Try posting your question here: http://www.204ruger.com/forum/
Old April 22, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Qtiphky

Data not for 34 grainers

I reduced the load because some of the more experienced loaders suggested it due to the fact that the load data was for a 35 grain bullet instead of a 34. I also posted it on the other fourm, but that forum seems much less visited than this one. I haven't even had hardly any views of the thread over there.
Old April 22, 2009, 10:07 AM   #5
mkl

Your 27 grain load will be fine.

The "low charge" kaboom phenomena has to do with very reduced charges (say 10-15 percent of recommended) and very slow burning powders (IMR-4350 and slower). To my knowledge it has never been duplicated under laboratory conditions, but there is a lot of stories of it happening.

In your case, look down the barrel after shooting a couple of the 27 grain loads. If it is as dirty as a sewer pipe, you probably have low pressure. If it is reasonably clean in that it looks the same as after factory loads, you are fine. I really doubt that you could run into a low pressure situation by loading only one grain under suggested minimum.