The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
DTrain

Extended Magazine Tube Question

I have a 870 EXP Turkey gun that doubles as my HD Shotgun. Thinking about installing a Wilson extended two shot magazine tube, but it sounds like I would have to drill out the indents in the existing tube.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extensio.../SGET-QDS-V-2/

If you do this, can you ever return the shotgun to the normal factory magazine capacity or are you stuck leaving the extended two shot magazine tube on?

Currently i have 4 buckshot in the tube and the gun is ready to rack and fire. I also have 6 more in a butt stock ammo sleeve.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
.22lr

An alternative to drilling

If you want to avoid drilling holes in the magazine tube (not that I think it matters too much) Brownells has a tool for that

This would be more attractive to ther person who would be modifying more than one shotgun.

VR

~Matt
Old January 9, 2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

After modification of the gun to accept an extended magazine, you can easily return it to the standard 4 shot magazine.

All you need to do is buy an old style magazine spring retainer, and use an O-ring or a special washer from Brownell's to prevent the magazine cap from unscrewing.
Install the original 4 shot length spring and use the retainer to hold it in place. Put the O-ring or washer over the magazine tube after you install the barrel and screw the original cap on.
The barrel's mounting ring will cover the holes in the magazine tube where you drilled out the tabs.

The old style magazine retainer is a spring steel split "spring cup". It goes in the end of the magazine cupped side up.

It's part number 38 in this Brownell's schematic:

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...20-sid134.aspx

I think this is the washer, or you can buy a large O-ring at an auto supply store:

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...prod23974.aspx

When removing the tabs in the Express magazine tube, make sure to polish the inside of the area very carefully. Even the slightest burr can cause shells to stick.