The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
enstorm

L&L AP

Finally set up my L&L AP with case feed attachment the past few days. This is the slightly outdated version (I bought it a year ago). It is set up for .40. A few comments: The good is the press is very solid, the primer feed works well and the L&L powder measure seems pretty consistent (Power Pistol).

What I don't like about the press is (1) the L&L bushing that the powder measure screws into will not stay tight in the press but works loose by rotating after not too many rounds. I have used it in different holes and with different bushings, same thing. I think it is too top heavy. Eventually it will in fact work completely loose and the case then just shoves the measure up which prevents it from dispensing powder. This doesn't happen with dies much at all, but the seater die worked loose on me once. (2) The eject wire is constantly hanging up the rounds just long enough to shoot them across the garage and, in the process, shaking enough powder out of the cartridge that just visited the powder measure station so that it has to go through the stages again. (3) I can't use even a new Hornady seater die in the final station because the eject wire is in the way. (4) I think the pawls are correctly set, but it feels as though the right pawl catches a bit hard during the ram's upstroke requiring more force than maybe it should.

I dismantled the auto case feeder for the time being. The feed plate (large and small pistol) consistently jams in just a few seconds. The pivot body/cam mechanism that feeds the cases from the drop tube into the shell plate is maybe ok on paper but is a pita in execution. Endless dicking around with it, poorly thought out means of securing the pivot body to the square tubing, soft steel, and a cam wire that will suddenly and inexplicably bind.

Some of the problems are probably my doing and will get resolved eventually. The press does speed up the process considerably even without the case feeder. I have not used any other progressive so can't say it is overall better or worse than the competition.
Old February 22, 2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Shoney

enstorm

Call Hornady customer service.

1-800-338-3220
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 22, 2009, 08:18 PM   #3
shepherddogs

I never had the problem with mine but try bending the ejector wire until you solve the problem. There are threads out there on this problem. Seems to occur more on smaller rounds. Mine is set up for 45 and works great. Don't know about the bushing problem. I actually use a Lee Auto disc powder measure on mine. To me it's easier to change settings and almost as accurate as the LNL measure.
Old February 22, 2009, 08:40 PM   #4
cgaengineer

Sell the case feeder to me and buy a Dillon!

I have the newer version of the LNL and I have no ejection problems. A new sub plate ($30-$40) will be available to you in March or April that will fix the ejector wire problem so be patient.

As far as the powder drop loosening up I have experienced the same problem. What you need to do is get a thicker O-Ring or use a rubber band to secure the top of the powder drop. What Hornady should have done with the bushings is machine a cam in them so you had to push down and turn and then the would have locked in place. The current setup works well except for the powder drop.

I am in the process of coming up with an idea using a set screw in the powder drop station that you can screw into the bushing to put pressure on it. Since the press is aluminum drilling and tapping should be pretty easy and it wont need a very big screw. I will use the set screw in the two stations most likely to use the powder drop.

Stick with the press because once you upgrade the press to EZJect system it will work like a champ making even a Dillion user jealous!! Whatever you do don't send the press back...it will be a month of Sundays before you get a replacement.
Old February 22, 2009, 11:58 PM   #5
lll Otto lll

Quote:
I have the newer version of the LNL and I have no ejection problems. A new sub plate ($30-$40) will be available to you in March or April that will fix the ejector wire problem so be patient.
Where did you get this information?
I called Hornady two weeks ago and they said they weren't selling the Sub Plates out-right. They require you to pay $100 plus whatever it cost to ship the press back to them for the conversion.
Old February 23, 2009, 06:00 AM   #6
cgaengineer

I read it on Glock talk or 1911 forums. Try calling Hornady again and ask again now and see what they say.
Old February 23, 2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Whisper 300

Cga,

I concur with the LnL advice - have had mine for a bit over 2 years now and would not trade it for the world. True, the wire caused me fits with 9 mm but once I got the wire "bent" and went to a Hornady crimp die all is well. Never did have any problems with other cases although the only other caliber I load on that press is 45 ACP and 38/357 and they all seem to pop out without fail.

Now, to the question at hand, IF Hornady sells the sub-plate like rumored(I, too, called H and they gave me the standard line of send it back and pay shipping and $100. Don't think so!

I would pop for 30 bucks if there is a way to use the "old" shellplates -have access to a complete machine shop(talented friend-definitely not me) who thinks maybe able to machine groove around base of old plate to accommodate new sub base but says he would need a new plate to copy or at least a pretty good drawing of spec's on new plate to set up machinery.
Any ideas to help along these lines?

Thanks,

Gary
Old February 23, 2009, 06:26 AM   #8
cgaengineer

Ok, I found the link that mentioned the $30...it was not either of the links I posted. You will still have to swap out or machine your shell plates if they do not have the slot.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...ic=74931&st=25
Old February 23, 2009, 08:38 AM   #9
cgaengineer

Attached is a photocopy of my .38/.357 shell plate

Diameter of inside of first step is: 2.465"
With of groove is about .250"
Depth is .065"

If you cut the inner circle just so its nearly cutting into the plastic inserts for the detents your groove will be about right. From there cut out .25" at .065-.075 and it should work fine.

Its difficult to measure this with a caliper...especially inside diameters and depth so my depth maybe high, but I am sure its not less.

If you want to machine a plate and send it to me for a test to see if it clears I will be more than happy to try it out and return it, I'll even pay return shipping if you can provide your accurate measurements in this forum for others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20090223080827982_0001.jpg (208.0 KB, 20 views)
Old February 23, 2009, 12:07 PM   #10
buffdriver

Here is a link to the conversion kit on the Hornady website:

Conversion Kit

and here's their FAQ on the subject, which includes info on shellplates:

FAQ

Hope this helps,

BuffDriver
Old February 23, 2009, 12:45 PM   #11
cgaengineer

Thats fantastic buffdriver! Thanks for the link...you may start a new thread with this link for the LNL users that want to get rid of the spring.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:08 PM   #12
buffdriver

Great idea, will do.
Old February 23, 2009, 04:03 PM   #13
lll Otto lll

Apparently Hornady came to their senses...

I just ordered a EZ sub plate conversion but they don't have them in stock yet.
Shipping was reasonable.
Anyway, I'm in que for when they arrive.
Props to buffdriver....