The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Tuvlo

Magnum primers in 40sw

I bought some primers the other day and when i got home i noticed that they were small pistol magnum primers, when i went back they would not exchange them because of store policy.
My question is would it be safe to use magnum primers in 40sw with a 180gr bullet and power pistol powder?
I know i should work back up from the starting load but with a heavy bullet could it cause spikes even at starting loads?
Old February 19, 2009, 04:32 PM   #2
ShootingNut

Tuvlo
Personally I would not use a magnum primer in the .40, or any other for that matter if not called for.
But, my advice would be to email the powder manufacturer, and go with their advice to be safe.
Regards,
SN
Old February 19, 2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Inspector3711

I agree with the advice above. .40 S&W has a very narrow pressure window. I wouldn't use magnum primers.
Old February 22, 2009, 08:52 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

I have, and do

But I have my reasons.

Can you provide more details, such as specific primer / bullet / powder and charge weight / launch platform(s)?
Old February 22, 2009, 09:17 AM   #5
madmo44mag

I have had to go the mag primer route a few times due to no STD primers available.
Each gun is different but I started at the boittom load and worked up.
Now that said, I did find a very happy medium that was very accurate and safe.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Jim243

Do not over load the 40 S&W. Primers are cheaper than Hospital Bills or new guns.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Tuvlo

Weshoot2, i would be be using rem 5 1/2 primers, 180gr fmj, using power pistol starting at 6.1 gr and would be loading up to a mild target load, nothing hot.

Last edited by Tuvlo; February 23, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 23, 2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Tuzo

There is always a fine and delicate balance of primer, powder, and bullet that can be personally determined by trial and error or by consulting various references.

The safest bet for most reloaders is to adhere to reloading manuals. The powder and bullet companies have taken the hazardous risk in determining what is acceptable. But if you must use magnum primers for non-magnum applications, then carefully experiment but please be aware of the dangers dealing with things that go boom. Then again, some of our modern cartridges were developed by risk takers.
Old February 23, 2009, 02:39 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

Thank you

Recommend:

-OAL 1.130"+/-.005"
-size all cases
-start load 5.6g Power Pistol (make ten test ten)
-ensure sufficient case neck tension

An excellent addition is crimping separately using the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die, but understand crimp does not secure the bullet; case neck tension, as determined by your sizing and flare die, secures the bullet. Too much crimp can bulge the case slightly, relieving neck tension.

Hope this helps.
Old February 23, 2009, 02:42 PM   #10
kraigwy

I just called CCI, asking about this question. Their Tec Support told me that CCI mag primers are 10% hotter then their regular primers.

Sierra says reduce the charge by 5% if you switch from standard primers to mag primers.

THEREFORE: If you are (like me) stuck to using Mag primers because of the shortage of reg primers, you have to start all over in develolping your loads.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; February 23, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old February 23, 2009, 02:50 PM   #11
WESHOOT2

finger count

When I change ANY lot, or component, or tooling, I start low and work up.
Old February 23, 2009, 11:45 PM   #12
MASTERSPYDOG

mag primer use

I too have had to start using mag primers because ALL the std primers are GONE and all the shops on/offline don't know when/ if they will get any within the next 4-6 months. From the info i've recieved is that the load for 40s&w starts at 4.8grns - 5.3grns for W231 using std primers; to use the mag primers I was told you should reduce the loads by one (1)grn. I have loaded 5 rounds to test with 4.3 grns, 4.1grns, and 3.9grns.

anyone else heard using this rule of reducing by 1 grn?

thanks and good luck