The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1
murphjup

Minimum amount of space needed to reload?

I'm considering reloading... handgun rounds... .380, .40, .45 maybe some .223and .308's...

How much space would I need to do so? I'm in florida, so I don't have a basement... But might be able to get some garage space...

Is there some equipement that takes up less than others?

Thank you in advance...

Old August 19, 2008, 10:47 PM   #2
croc4

I do mine in a ~14"x6' closet that I built in the garage when I added a pantry, not much room ,but room enough for two presses, ammo, shells, and other reloading related items
Old August 19, 2008, 11:33 PM   #3
DWARREN123

I use a Lee Anniversary Kit and reload 40 S&W. The die sets take up little room and I mount my press on a older computer desk. I keep everything but the press in an old plastic tool box and only use about 1/4 of the desk top when reloading. You can keep it small but it depends on the type press and if you break it down after use or leave it setup.
Old August 20, 2008, 12:02 AM   #4
CraigC

My first reloading "bench" was about 14"x24", quite cozy but it worked. Kept my bullets on the floor under it and everything else on a shelf above it. After moving to TN, I built a new bench in the basement about fourteen feet long so I've got some growing room.
Old August 20, 2008, 05:31 AM   #5
darkgael

space

If you use a hand press, not a high volume process, then everything that you need can be stored in a toolbox and kept in a closet.
When I started using a progressive press, I bolted it to a piece of plywood and kept it behind a sofa and out of sight. When I used it, I would clamp it to the kitchen table with wood clamps.
Pete
Old August 20, 2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Sevens

You might be surprised at how often this question comes up.

When I started at age 17, I had a dedicated room with a bench and a whole clean setup. When I moved away to college at 18, I packed it in to a small box, and much like Pete who posted right before me, I attached it to a wood plank and then attached the wood plank to a surface with clamps. It was a temporary situation and it worked. It wasn't great, comfy, or ideal, but it worked.

Now, I've got a fully equipped man cave and I wouldn't want it any other way.

But if you've got a mid-sized Rubbermaid tub, you've got a portable setup that works effectively well to make good ammo. And you for damn sure don't need to downgrade to a hand-press, though a hand-press is a versatile tool that works quite well on a trip to the range.
Old August 20, 2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Inspector3711

I'm set up on the work bench in my (small) garage. I have a set of used kitchen cabinets with 1" plywood mounted on 8 2X4's bolted to the cabinet for a bench top. I trimmed the edge with baseboard moldings to hide the 2X4's. I cut out the molding out in an area about 1 foot wide where the diswasher should go and mounted my bench vise and reloading press in that area. I shored up the press by mounting 1/2" aluminum plate above and below the benchtop. I then drilled through the aluminum, plywood, and 2x4's, and used wing nuts under the bench. Now I have an easily removeable press that can be stowed when I have big home improvement projects going on..
Old August 20, 2008, 03:51 PM   #8
Loader9

I started out using a heavy wood cabinet that measured 30"x 30" with the press bolted to the butcher block top. I used that for about ten years. Now I have several hundred square feet. My bench is now 3'x 7' with drawers and shelves. There is a cabinet with highly speced ammo and a room with nothing but ammo in cans. Then there is the refrigerated 18 wheeler with cabinets and shelves with powder, components, and ammo. And you thought this was just a hobby. Sorry, but it's a sickness that there is no cure for.
Old August 20, 2008, 03:57 PM   #9
murphjup

Thanks, guys.... I learned alot in 24 hours from all of you...lol

I am considering a Lee Classic Turret setup...

Old August 20, 2008, 07:02 PM   #10
Slamfire

For years mine was a Black and Decker Workmate with a RCBS rocker chucker on it. The Rock Chucker was bolted to the top, and I had 1/2 * 4's clamped across the top to keep it all level.

The problem was, storing all the powder, primers, and bullets.

The more you reload, the more you hoard..
Old August 20, 2008, 07:27 PM   #11
Stagger Lee

I was set up for a while in a coat closet in an apartment when I was in college. Shelves and workbench were made from milk crates and scrap lumber, and to use it I had to pull a kitchen chair up to it but I made thousands of rounds of ammunition there right under the nose of a rental manager who was always telling me that my BOOKS on my bookshelves were a "fire hazard".

It doesn't take too much space if you're creative.
Old August 20, 2008, 09:31 PM   #12
BigJakeJ1s

I bought a heavy duty steel router table leg set, and locking, heavy duty casters from Rockler wood working supply. Added a top and two shelves below. Loaded up with bullets, brass and tools, it is very stable. I store it in the laundry room, and roll it out when I need it. Because it is on casters, I can use all four sides of the bench easily.

Andy
Old August 21, 2008, 08:20 PM   #13
1911_freak

i reload on a 4x4' table!