The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2002, 07:55 PM   #1
Citadel99

Any reason to buy a case when you reload?

Gonna start reloading soon. I have 146 .30-06 Danish surplus rounds right now. Is there any reason for me to buy a case?

Mark
Old October 30, 2002, 09:22 PM   #2
HSMITH

Sure, to have more ammo and more cases. If you shoot at all the 150 cases will not last very long. Here is the deal when you reload: You figure it is a lot cheaper to shoot so you shoot more, cost is close to the same if not more because you shoot more and spend money on lots of components making the per piece price seem a lot better. Reloading has not saved me a dime, in fact I spend a lot more money. Good side is I shoot more and shoot better. You will NEVER EVER have enough components, buy a case now.
Old October 30, 2002, 11:39 PM   #3
tawakoni

Citadel, I'm thinking your Danish '06 is Berdan primed. Good to shoot but VERY difficult to reload...

Best,

tawakoni
Old October 31, 2002, 02:14 AM   #4
CITADELGRAD87

Nothing to add other than NICE NAME.
Old October 31, 2002, 02:47 AM   #5
voilsb
Registration in progress

Quote:
Sure, to have more ammo and more cases. If you shoot at all the 150 cases will not last very long.
that was my thought. you're going to need to replace that brass eventually. as to whether it's berdian or boxer primed; i dunno. never shot the danish stuff.

also, 146 rounds isn't much. i would try to keep 1000 rounds on hand, so you don't have to reload after every session. you can take your time, so that you can forget about it every now and then, and still have plenty of ammo around. also, i tend to lose one or two cases per 3-500 shot, so after a few range sessions, that 146 might turn into 140, etc.

besides, it never hurts to support ammoman
Old October 31, 2002, 07:01 AM   #6
Citadel99

Here's the ammo I bought:
Danish 30-06 Ammunition 150 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Ball Berdan Primed Non-Corrosive

So, what's the deal with Berdan primed brass? Would I be better off just buying new brass?

Mark
Old October 31, 2002, 07:18 AM   #7
Sisco

Yer gonna have to. Berdan cases are not reloadable. Look for Boxer primed cases. Berdan cases have three holes instead of just one in the primer pocket, regular dies cannot decap them (push out the spent primer).
Old October 31, 2002, 09:09 AM   #8
HSMITH

Oops, did not know the danish was berdan.
Old October 31, 2002, 09:31 AM   #9
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Citadel99, you maight want to check the CMP web site. Sometime back they were selling once fired LC brass. That is boxer primed and IIRC it was like less than $40 to have 450 rounds delivered to my doorstep in a brand new USGI ammo can. Good deal if they still have some.

The rounds were fired in the testing of M-1's prior to being shipped to lucky folks.
Old October 31, 2002, 12:47 PM   #10
Bogie

If you're careful with it, you can wear out a rifle barrel with 20 pieces of brass.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 31, 2002, 06:58 PM   #11
Fatelvis

If you buy a case of reloadable brass, you`ll have alot of cases from the same lot. These cases will be very uniform to eachother in case wall thickness, brass elasticity/hardness, and overall case capacity. Your chances of getting good groups just got better over using mixed brass! Its one step towards building accurate handloads. Good shooting!
Old October 31, 2002, 07:10 PM   #12
Citadel99

Thanks guys.

Mark
Old November 1, 2002, 04:35 PM   #13
Desert Pete

Berdan cases can be reloaded. It's just more trouble. You remove the primer with hydraulic pressure. Fill it with water and drive a fitted wooden peg into the case mouth. Primer pops right out, water usually goes on your shirt or in your face. Wife is amused, unless you do it in the house. Reprime as usual with normal primers. I gave up doing this years ago, but it can be done.
Old November 1, 2002, 05:36 PM   #14
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

"Reprime as usual with normal primers."

That wont work unless you reprime with berdan primers. The berdan has an anvil in the center of the primer pocket, while with the boxer the primer is intergal with the primer. I do think that some have expiremented with removing the anvil, but even if that is done the diameter of the pocket is slightly different from berdan to boxer.

Best thing to do is buy boxed primed cases and sell the berdan ones for brass scrap.
Old November 2, 2002, 03:07 AM   #15
BushRat

Let's not forget the crimp on military primers that needs to be removed. Southla1 is right about the difference between berdan and boxer primers. It is a pain to deal with them. Best go with new or once fired cases that are boxer primed. Have fun!
Old November 3, 2002, 08:13 AM   #16
Dave P

I always try to have a few hundred "factory" rounds on hand for those times you can't reload.

I just shot my new (80) danish in a Garand - accuracy is OK, but I can reload better rounds cheaper.