The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which one is better
ruger sr22 42 84.00%
walther p22 8 16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 17, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1
LockedanLoaded

Ruger SR22 Vs. Walther P22

ok so obviously they are similar, but they are not the same, which one do you guys think is better?
accuracy wise?
durability?
reliable?
quality?
anything else you want to compare, your free to do so, and pictures are welcome
Old August 17, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2
USMCGrunt

Originally I was looking at a P22 for my son when he's old enough to start to learn a pistol. My selection here was mainly based on it's small size that would work with younger hands. However, the stories about parts breaking, picky about ammo and so on kept me from buying one. When the SR22 came into my local fun store, I decided to go that route. I like the alunimum slide better than the mystery metal used in the P22's construction and Ruger does have a good reputation for standing behind their products so I felt that this was the safer route to take.
Old August 17, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Sixer

I picked up a Ruger SR-22 a few weeks ago... LOVE IT! I can't believe I waited this long to buy a .22LR pistol

I was like a kid in a candy store for almost 2 hours as I ran about 250 rnds through it with no worries of ammo cost, picking up brass, etc.

There were 2 FTF's (Feed) in the first 100 rds... but I'm chalking those up to the ammo. It was flawless with CCI and even the Federal Bulk stuff worked good. I put some "QuickShock" or some kind of crap ammo through it and that's when I had the issues.

I'll probably stick to CCI from now on.

Anyhow, overall very pleased with the gun!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old August 17, 2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Retread7

+1 on the SR22

I've been looking for a 22LR pistol that my wife and I both like. I didn't like the mag release on the P22, she thought it was cute (of course). When I saw the SR22 I loved it right off. Then I read the reviews and found nothing bad, so I bought one. The trigger felt a little gritty, but hey, it came with a two year supply of gun oil already installed :-( . So I cleaned it well and started playing. I use Federal bulk a lot, no problems for me, it just works. Now the wife wants it, so I'll have to get another one.
Old August 17, 2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Woody55

I'm happy with my SR-22 on all counts. It works good on cottonmouths.
Old August 17, 2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

I own a P22, and have been quite happy with it. the Ruger however seems to be an improvement on both the design, and materials.
My vote was Ruger, and I'll probably be getting one of them sometime soon.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 17, 2012, 06:36 PM   #7
chris in va

FWIW, my friend picked up a P22 a few years ago. It ran well through a brick, but he managed to drop it in some dirt on one of ourange outings. The front plastic sight came off, and the flimsy takedown slider on the left snapped. I wasn't impressed with the materials used.

Fun though.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Crosshair

Owned neither, shot both. The Ruger seems to be superior to the Walther in terms of build quality, reliability, and maybe accuracy. Both are inferior to a MKII/III IMHO.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:14 PM   #9
blchandl2

I have never fired the P-22 but I can't believe there is anything it can do significantly better than the SR-22.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:38 PM   #10
ritepath

We love our little SR22....it's been 100% solid so far with 6 different brands of ammo. We've had two under powered duds in 10-15 yo federal ammo, and 600+ rounds without one problem.

It's taken the place as my huntin', hiking, fishing sidearm. Reliable, light and plenty accurate.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:50 PM   #11
CreightonE

I shot both on the same day. The Ruger seemed a little better made, and more accurate than the Walther.

I think the Ruger was cheaper too. Seems like a slam dunk decision to me. Unless you really love a particular brand.

I did have a couple failure to ejects with the Walther, but I think it was just holding the gun too lightly. There isn't a lot of energy to work the slide/eject.
Old August 18, 2012, 06:57 AM   #12
'88Scrat

I to am looking at both these pistols. Mind if I piggyback OP?
Old August 18, 2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Coach Z

I've owned both but sold the p22. The Walther is a fun pistol but it has a couple weak points in the construction. One is that the screws that hold together the subframe come loose and lead to lots of failures that are really tough to diagnose. The second issue is that the trigger spring wears out rapidly. In a little over year that I owned it the Walther had to go back to the factory for service twice. Mind you they have some of the beat customer service going and didn't cost me a dime but still irritating.

The SR 22 is more accurate in my experience and more tolerant of ammo in the 4k-5k rounds I've run through it. I'd highly recommend the Ruger. Oh I also sold my beretta NEOS after ingot the Ruger. Far and away my favorite plinker.
Old August 18, 2012, 10:03 AM   #14
ScotchMan

The Walther is not really a Walther, its made by Umarex. Walther handguns are up there with H&K and Sig, the P22 is not.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old August 20, 2012, 02:45 AM   #15
Marquezj16

I've shot both and both were plenty accurate. However I like the SR22 more. It's what I voted for and what I own.

BTW, I think I have over 5k rounds on mine. As long as I stay away from Winchester bulk ammo, I have no problems.
Old August 20, 2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
The Walther is not really a Walther, its made by Umarex. Walther handguns are up there with H&K and Sig, the P22 is not.
This. ^^^

Tags
p22 , pistol , ruger , sr22 , walther