The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 24, 2008, 07:00 PM   #26
darkgael

"Did Brian say if they were going to clarify the rules and make a change in the next rule book"
He wrote that the rules committee had discussed this idea just last week (two weeks ago now).
I have a similar view about the helping hand during the rapid strings. I'd really like to see how people go about it.
The big difficulty, Brian wrote, would be in the event that the shooter had alibi; the R.O. might easily see the second hand as an attempt to clear the gun.
Pete
Old October 24, 2008, 08:58 PM   #27
Old Gaffer

NAKing,

Welcome to the deep end of the pool

I've only been shooting BE pistol (or ANY pistol for that matter) for about 20 months, and I've learned a few things - just a few, mind you...

I strongly suggest you take the majority of your budget and buy a quality .22 pistol. My current pistol is a High Standard Victor, made in Texas. The Texas-made guns are reportedly "iffy" as to quality and are notorious for feeding problems, Mine works fine - I've heard that others have guns that won't shoot at all.

I suggest you start out with a Victor (or other military grip High Standard) made in either Hamden, Conn (first choice) or New Haven (2nd choice). Guns made in either location will outshoot you for the rest of your life, just as they have likely out shot their previous owners for theirs.

I made the "mistake", if you will, of starting off with an inexpensive 22 "just to see if I would stick with it". I bought a Browning Buckmark, and after several iterations of polishing this and tweaking that, I had a gun that I managed to shoot an 832/900 with. Not a bad score for someone shooting a year or so, but at that point, I was likely shooting at the upper limit of the gun. I'm now shooting closer to Master scores, and the fact that I don't is NOT my gun's fault, but mine. I trust my gun to hit point of aim every time, something I couldn't do with the Buckmark as I got better. I do keep the Buckmark in the range box for a loaner to new shooters - it's more than good enough for that.

So take the majority of your budget and get a good .22. Take the rest and get ammo and range time. BTW, I'm shooting Fiocchi, Eley Sport, and Federal 714 standard velocity ammo, none if which costs more than $3 a box and it all works great in my gun. You WILL have to go through several different ammos to find which one(s) your pistol likes, and once you do, buy it by the case so you don't have to worry about running out at the range, and I recommend NOT shooting high velocity ammo - the additional speed doesn't do anything for your accuracy, and can actually cause problems with some pistols.

All the best,
Rob
Old October 25, 2008, 04:14 PM   #28
cdrt

darkgael

Brian and the others are also going to have to reconcile this rule for disabled shooters:

Quote:
13.4 Adapted Shooting Position -
(a) In all single arm pistol events the non - shooting arm must be "at rest" on the competitor's lap. The non -shooting arm may not touch any part of the wheelchair. The non - shooting arm may not be used to provide added leverage by bracing against the opposite leg.
Reading this rule, disabled shooters cannot use the non-firing hand to cock the pistol. They probably forgot about this rule when they were discussing it, which is not surprising.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)