The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old January 22, 2014, 11:31 AM   #51
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yeah, I'm more than familiar with the state of education as it pertains to the teaching of history, both in the United States and in Japan.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 22, 2014, 12:32 PM   #52
coldbeer

It doesn't bother me whatsoever, but if it bothers you that much just buy a Ruger American rifle instead. You'll end up paying more for a less accurate rifle, but you won't have to use a word that gives you nightmares as much.
Old January 22, 2014, 12:44 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer

I have Krupp toaster and we did have VW or two in our car histories.

If the modern company has moved on, then so have I. Ford has a less than noble history.

I do understand the Axis connotations. I would be hesitant to use some firm that called itself the Axis group. Just an emotional shudder.
Old January 22, 2014, 12:52 PM   #54
Gunplummer

I strongly suspect that if this Axis rifle was as cheap as the Commi rifles you all bought there would be no problem.
Old January 22, 2014, 01:00 PM   #55
Tom Matiska

It is more remarkable that the name "Savage" gets a pass in this day and age. If Arthur Savage were alive today, he couldn't put his name on an NFL team.
Old January 22, 2014, 01:07 PM   #56
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Matiska
It is more remarkable that the name "Savage" gets a pass in this day and age. If Arthur Savage were alive today, he couldn't put his name on an NFL team.
They don't exactly get a pass, someone is always offended by everything.
Old January 22, 2014, 02:13 PM   #57
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I keep looking for that Constitutional Right to never be offended by anything.

Ain't found it, yet.

I just send folks off to the Chaplain so he can punch their TS Card.
Old January 22, 2014, 02:44 PM   #58
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure I am "offended", more like a little put off. But to argue that one should not be bothered by the use of words is not logical. Words do have meanings and words do have power. As to common words deliberately being given new meanings, I cite the word "gay" which once meant "happy" or "cheerful". When the word is used today, does anyone think of those meanings?

Those who name organizations and legislation often concoct names whose abbreviation (or acronym) can serve to state the purpose of the group or the bill, and be its own advocate, Gov. Cuomo's SAFE law being a case in point. And corporations spend millions of dollars in making sure a new trade name has positive connotations; GM famously goofed with its Chevy Nova - "no va" means "it doesn't go" in Spanish.

But I can see the point of not being "put off" by the association of a trade name with an evil alliance of almost 80 years ago. But I can still wish Savage had chosen some other name.

Jim
Old January 22, 2014, 06:26 PM   #59
BerdanSS

We just live in a very sensitive world these days. I have personally been accosted at the range SEVERAL times, when shooting a certain piece of History I own. It has several VERY well intact markings of an eagle perched atop numbers......the Eagle just happens to be, and has been since LONG before the psychotic rantings of a short, swarthy madman...One of my nations great symbol.

For possessing it, I have been given rotten looks, rude verbal interaction, and one individual 10 years my junior so bold as to say; The police should take it from me and melt it down, and afterwords I should be jailed.

In my experience, most manufactured items are named entirely on the whim of people in glass walled offices....that for the life of them wouldn't know their own product if they were socked upside the head with it.

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 22, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old January 22, 2014, 06:32 PM   #60
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
But to argue that one should not be bothered by the use of words is not logical. Words do have meanings and words do have power. As to common words deliberately being given new meanings, I cite the word "gay" which once meant "happy" or "cheerful". When the word is used today, does anyone think of those meanings?

I don't think anyone is arguing that, though. Of course words have meanings and of course we can be bothered by their usage.

Some words have totally (or nearly) UNambiguous meanings. Al Qaeda, for instance, effectively means one and only one thing in the English world. Using it to name a product might very well be offensive.

"Axis" no more has a singular meaning than "Jim" applies to (or should remind us of) only one person. I truly believe that associating it FIRST and FOREMOST with the Axis Powers of WWII is entirely illogical. The word has nearly a dozen meanings and there is no indicator or inference from Savage or by implication that relates it to WWII.
Old January 22, 2014, 11:10 PM   #61
Mike Irwin
Staff

"But to argue that one should not be bothered by the use of words is not logical."

Oh for...

I don't believe anyone is saying that, Jim.

What we are saying, at least what I'm saying, is that it is somewhat (if not a lot) illogical to be offended by proxy, having first to go through the process of translating the word from its original German to English in order to generate that offense.

Seems to be a rather tortured process.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 23, 2014, 12:11 AM   #62
Againstthewind

Savage history

I didn't know about the history of the Savage name. I probably should have looked it up. That does make a big difference. I do think that it is important to do some extra research into a product name so that people aren't unintentionally offended. WWII is an important time in our history that should be remembered and the feelings about it respected. I am a little embarrassed that I never even gave the names a second thought. I might be too young, but Japanese and German companies don't bother me. The US spend a lot on rebuilding both nations. I almost said reconstruction, but that is a naughty word still in some parts from what I hear. Was that offensive? It can also be hard not to be offensive, and it makes a big difference to me if it is unintentional. In person it seems best just not to say anything if in doubt, but here its no holds barred.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Be..._product_names. Most are not along the same lines, but some are interesting.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/21622...-product-names
some of these are kindof funny.

This is totally off topic, but how did the rebuilding in Germany and Japan differ from what is going on in Iraq and Afganistan?
Old January 23, 2014, 01:27 PM   #63
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let's assume math or Axis deer or some such and quit worrying about what we don't know.
Closed Thread