The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
under_dawg

I need a favor-- 45 long colt

Would someone please measure the shoulder (the widest part closest to the cutter) on a Lee case length guage in 45 Colt and let me know what it is?

I just received a Lee case length gauge from Midway, alonng with 100 pieces of starline brass in 45 colt. I sized 25 of them and then went to trim, and to my surprise, the case length gauge will not fit into the case (past the sholder of the gauge). I know starline brass is kinda thick, but this is ridiculous. Anyway, I measured the inside of a case at.0.446" after being resized. The shoulder on the Lee case length gauge measures 0.449".

The unsized brass measures 0.450" and i can force the case length gauge into the unsized brass.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2
poline

I need a favor-- 45 long colt

Got two of the 45colt case trimers and they measurer 0.447 at the shoulder. I measured the inside of a case at 0.444 after being resized.
I just purchased some starline brass (once fired) at a gun show and
after full lenght sizing them I have 18 cases that need to be trimed.
i can force the case length gauge into the unsized brass.

I,too, have to force the case length gauge into the unsized brass!
Did I say force the case length gauge into the unsized brass! The phase should be pound as with a plastic hammer. I haven't trimed them yet this
will be interesting........A PIB!
Old February 1, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Ozzieman

I’m curious as to why you trim 45LC. I have been loading the same Federal 45 LC (500 for more than 20 years) and Starline I have never trimmed any. And never had any negative effects.
Rifles are another thing entirely.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 2, 2013, 02:39 AM   #4
poline

(POLINE) I trim it because after full length sizeing the 265, once fired brass, I had 18 that according to the Lyman E-ZEE case gauge they are to long!
I know your question was directed to UNDER DAWG, I felt a
need to reply.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:12 AM   #5
under_dawg

Thanks poline for measuring. That tells me buying another case length gauge isn't going to help much. I load several other calibers all with the Lee case length gauges and have not run into this before, and that's why I thought a may have bought an out of spec. case length gauge.

Ozzieman, I usually resize and trim my new brass before my initial loading. It may not be necessary, but I like to start off a new batch as uniform as possible. After I couldn't get the gauge in the brass, I loaded them up anyway and everything seemed to work out fine. Thanks for the help guys.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Ozzieman

But I like to start off a new batch as uniform as possible.
That’s what I thought. It’s not going to hurt that’s for sure but I load so much rifle that HAS to be trimmed I don’t take the time to even measure revolver length.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.