The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2013, 01:46 AM   #1
schleeb

Reloading .380 Auto

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 Auto and was wondering if it's even worthwhile reloading these small rounds. At the range I've been able to pick up a fair amount of once fired brass. The range officer said people don't bother to pick it up since its not worth reloading. I have a Square Deal B progressive reloader but no dies or plate. Should I even bother?? Does anyone else here reload these things?
Old June 8, 2013, 02:03 AM   #2
teedles915

I reload everything I shoot in 380. When prices are at normal level, I save a lot of money, as they are now I am just happy to find the components to make a few rounds. For me they are definitely worth it.

If you don't reload it save the brass anyway, there are many guys here myself included, who would love the chance to work out a trade with you.
Old June 8, 2013, 03:30 AM   #3
noylj

It's only worth it if it is worth it to you.
Cast lead bullets work well and are comparatively inexpensive. Powder charges are small.
If you don't shoot more than a few hundred at a time, you don't need an expensive press.
Right now, all reloading supplies are about as tight as ammunition, and I haven't seen a lot of .380 ammunition available.
I know where I could buy all the Bullseye powder I would ever need, but the price is too high to even think about it (~$35/lb).
Old June 8, 2013, 04:31 AM   #4
A pause for the COZ

Well, if you can buy .380 rounds for $2.80 per 50. Then no it would not pay to reload them.

I buy a few jacketed bullets once in a while, But that still comes out to about 5 or 6 bucks for 50.

Why pay some one else 10 or 15 bucks just to assemble them for you?

Old June 8, 2013, 05:56 AM   #5
OEF-Vet

Re: Reloading .380 Auto

I load cast bullets for .380 and find it is not difficult and definitely saves me $. We have 6 family members all shooting .380 so the savings add up rather quickly. I never include my time in reloading costs because it is a hobby of mine, something I enjoy.
Old June 8, 2013, 06:02 AM   #6
jwrowland77

Reloading .380 Auto

Oh yeah definitely worth reloading. I reload for my Walther pk380, my dads Bersa Thunder 380 and my moms 380. I was actually able to find a OAL that all three of our guns like and cycle every time, so no need to move the dies around. Not to mention cost savings.

Definitely worth it IMHO.
Old June 8, 2013, 06:03 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

380 lies

Powders that may work great:

Bullseye
W231
Titegroup
Power Pistol
Old June 8, 2013, 06:22 AM   #8
arch308

If you don't want your brass just let me know. If you use lead bullets reloading can save you some money once the initial equipment is bought.
Old June 8, 2013, 07:15 AM   #9
jwrowland77

Reloading .380 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
Powders that may work great:

Bullseye
W231
Titegroup
Power Pistol
And Unique as well. I load my parents rounds with Unique. In the workup, Titegroup was the most accurate in my dad Bersa Thunder, but yours my differ.
Old June 8, 2013, 08:35 AM   #10
superspirit

I Load for my wifes Bersa 380 also and the tightest group I've had was 2.5 grns of 700x pushing a 90 grn XTP. and very mild recoil.
Old June 8, 2013, 09:29 AM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
I have a Bersa Thunder 380 Auto and was wondering if it's even worthwhile reloading these small rounds. At the range I've been able to pick up a fair amount of once fired brass. The range officer said people don't bother to pick it up since its not worth reloading.
???

Of course .380 is worth reloading. .380 ain't cheap.

I have an old steel RCBS .380 die set. I'm keeping an eye out at all the usual places for a Lee carbide set. Time for me to start looking for a .380 mold....
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 8, 2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Clark

380 brass was very hard to find 4 years ago. Many people are switching to the 380 for ease of carry.

I load 380 at 3 levels:

1) The lowest is with 90 gr Gold Dot and Power Pistol, for LCP and P3AT. This is the equivalent of Buffalo Bore +P 380 90 gr advertised performance. I am measuring 1100 fps with the P3AT 2.76" barrel.

2) The medium is with 115 gr JHP and Power Pistol for Kahr P380.

3) The hottest is 158 gr XTP JHP and Power Pistol for M1907
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 9, 2013, 12:40 AM   #13
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
380 brass was very hard to find 4 years ago. Many people are switching to the 380 for ease of carry.

I load 380 at 3 levels:

1) The lowest is with 90 gr Gold Dot and Power Pistol, for LCP and P3AT. This is the equivalent of Buffalo Bore +P 380 90 gr advertised performance. I am measuring 1100 fps with the P3AT 2.76" barrel.

2) The medium is with 115 gr JHP and Power Pistol for Kahr P380.

3) The hottest is 158 gr XTP JHP and Power Pistol for M1907
158gr .380!!!!???

Ike
Old June 9, 2013, 01:32 AM   #14
dewcrew8

Just reloaded some today! Anything you shoot you should try to reload it save you money! I've. Used 700x bullseye and now tightgroup.
Old June 9, 2013, 04:04 PM   #15
Clark

In 380, ignore the SAAMI drawing for over all length of 0.984".
One needs to check that the OAL will: 1) feed from the magazine, and 2) eject unfired from the chamber.

The OAL that works may be considerably shorter than the SAAMI drawing max OAL.

Your pistol may vary.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 10, 2013, 10:59 AM   #16
spacecoast

.380 ACP is one of the BEST rounds to reload $-wise.
Old June 10, 2013, 11:37 AM   #17
zxcvbob

Quote:
.380 ACP is one of the BEST rounds to reload $-wise.
...if you can recover most of your brass.

Even with the strongest spring I could find, my P3AT throws the brass about 50 feet (not exaggerating) and I lose most of it. As long as I can buy "once fired" brass, and recover some of my own brass, it makes a lot of sense to reload it. If I had to buy new brass every time, I'm not so sure.
Old June 10, 2013, 02:04 PM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
Even with the strongest spring I could find, my P3AT throws the brass about 50 feet (not exaggerating) and I lose most of it. As long as I can buy "once fired" brass, and recover some of my own brass, it makes a lot of sense to reload it. If I had to buy new brass every time, I'm not so sure.
Fifty feet? What're you shooting?

(My LCP is the least well behaved of anything I have. Ejection is higglety-pigglety, every which way. Not far, but I don't seem to recover much more than half of it.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 10, 2013, 02:31 PM   #19
zxcvbob

Quote:
Fifty feet? What're you shooting?

(My LCP is the least well behaved of anything I have. Ejection is higglety-pigglety, every which way. Not far, but I don't seem to recover much more than half of it.)
Winchester white box, Magtech FMJ's, and my own reloads: 95 grain RNL with either 3.0 grains of International or 4.2 grains of Unique. (the Unique load is pretty hot, the International is a lot tamer)

The empties eject almost straight up and to the rear. No idea how high they go, but I really have found them 50' behind me when shooting outdoors and not under a shelter. It would be nice to know the hang-time

I need to work up some light target loads using Red Dot, Bullseye, or Titegroup, and see what happens.
Old June 10, 2013, 06:48 PM   #20
Clark

At the range I was chronographing my Kel-Tec P3AT 380 90 gr Gold Dot at 1100 fps.

A case bounced off the plywood wall and hit me on the forehead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForeHeadCutEjectingCaseInjuryDSCF0036.jpg (28.3 KB, 53 views)
Old June 11, 2013, 03:18 PM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
At the range I was chronographing my Kel-Tec P3AT 380 90 gr Gold Dot at 1100 fps.
Doing any of your extreme testing on the P3AT?

I know the chamber walls on my LCP are mighty thin, on either side above the feed ramp area. I suspect the KT is going to be the same.
Old June 11, 2013, 03:24 PM   #22
otnman

I have stood behind my kids shooting the p3at and the brass does go about 25' in the air and lands about 10' behind them 80% of the time.
Old June 11, 2013, 03:29 PM   #23
rg1

I reload for a Bersa Thunder and a Colt .380 Gov't. I've had excellent results in both using Hornady 90 gr. XTP's with Accurate Arms #2. AA#2 has given me the best results with the powders I've tested. Use AA's data on-line.
Old June 12, 2013, 02:57 AM   #24
Clark

Quote:
lee n. field
Doing any of your extreme testing on the P3AT?
1100 fps is right at the threshold of case bulge.
The P3AT has case support at .290" over the feed ramp.
The 380 case has a .175" thick.
That leaves .115" of thin unsupported case wall.
It does not take much pressure to blow a bubble in that thin brass over a big hole.
Old June 13, 2013, 05:36 PM   #25
Oldgoat03

Reload your 380 ACP

My family shoots .380ACP frequently. Between us we have a Keltec P3At, Ruger LCP and S&W BG's. The little pistols are just too easy to conceal and everyone likes them. I reload hundreds of rounds on my SDB with ease and it saves a ton of $$. If you could find it the cheapest 380 factory ammo I've seen lately is $15/50 (typically much more). I load Berry's or Rainier plated over HP-38 for less than 1/2 that amount even at today's prices for components.

So the bottom line is Reload your 380 ACP or send me the brass!