The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1
golfnutrlv

Sig P226 Slide Pins

So all,

Thinking of getting my P226 cerakoted by a local custom shop that gets great reviews. However, their shop fees for armoring are a little steep though.

Was hoping I could armor the gun myself. I'm not an expert, but have some experience working on my own guns.

My question is, my reference book says to push out the slide pins, THEN DISCARD, not re-use the pins.

Is this actually the case that I can't re-use the pins???

I don't think there is anywhere around here that would have replacements even. No Sig armorers that I know of.

Thanks all!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

They are roll pins and the usual practice is not to re-use roll pins since the "spring has sprung" and they have lost the tension that holds them in. They are usually so cheap that gunsmiths who work regularly with guns having roll pins will have a bunch of them, and they can be ordered from Brownells or, for a specific gun, from parts places like Gun Parts Corp.

Also, always use a proper roll pin punch; a standard flat end punch can mess up the roll pin and wedge it in place, damaging the gun.

Jim
Old November 5, 2012, 12:04 AM   #3
10-96

Maybe not roll pins. In the past several years, Sig has gone to and from three different types of pins on P series pistols. 1. The typical roll pin within a roll pin. 2. The rolled pin. Which is like a rolled up croisant (sp- funny fench biscuit thing), and looks like a typical roll-pin when viewed from the end while in place. 3. And the splined pin. A regular pin with an enlarged and splined portion on one end.

Sig does not recommend the re-use of any of their pins. My thoughts on that? I don't know, the jury is still out I guess. During the Armorers course, we worked on "factory armorers class designated" firearms with obviously wallowed out holes and abused pins. Would I re-use pins? No- and all because they put that "Liability and Vicarious Liability" bug in my head. Would I re-use one in an emergency situation on MY OWN firearm? I still don't know- it would have to be a pretty serious emergency.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.