The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2010, 02:12 PM   #1
coachseeley

EPA and Lead (Pb)

I just got off the phone with a tire shop, and he said that most wheel weights are steel based now (due to the EPA cracking down). Plus, they have "contracts" with recyclers that prohibit them from giving away the old wheel weights.
That being said, does anyone have a good source of cheap lead other than tire shops?
Old August 13, 2010, 02:15 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

I highly doubt that they couldnt have given you some if they wanted to but... I have a brother inlaw that works at a tireshop so Im sort of hooked up. You can get lead ingots from basspro and cabelas...but they arent cheap.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:45 PM   #3
salvadore

If you have anyone in the auto business, parts tires repair, its all incestuous these guys can help you get some wheel weights...I think you'll have better luck in bigger cities.
Old August 13, 2010, 04:06 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Coach if you are in the state of Commiefornia, then what the shop said has some merrit. They have banned lead WW in that state. The thing about the recycler I am not real sure of. The place I get mine from charges a few dollars for a 5gal. bucket full. I also swap a bucket full of ice with a 12 pack of Bud Light so they will have another bucket to put the next batch in. They even put them in the back of my truck for some reason. I usualy show up about 5 minutes till closing time on Friday.
Old August 13, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
coachseeley

Score!

So, I called a Goodyear tire place, and the manager said, "A guy came on Wednesday to pick them up... I think I have maybe 20 weights I can give you." I'm glad I went to get those because I showed up and the manager said he had found some more in the back. After I sorted through them (more on that), the weights and clips weighed in at 23 lbs. That should make me a few.
As for the "sorted" parts. There is about another 10-15lbs. of those square weight strips with the adhesive on the back. Can I throw those into the mix? Or, keep them out?
Should I clean the wheel weights, or will the dirt and gunk make up part of the dross?
Anyhow, I'm stoked about the score.
A couple of other shops I called this afternoon also said that companies are paying for the old wheel weights to get the lead out of circulation. So, it looks like Commiefornia EPA politics are spreading.
So, square adhesive weights or no?
Wash them first? Or, does it matter?
Thanks,
Steven
Old August 13, 2010, 07:20 PM   #6
TXGunNut

Some stick ons are pure lead, some new ones are other stuff. I'll save the lead ones for when I start casting round balls for my ML and C&B revolver.
Scored my first bucket today! I work @ a car dealer that has never really had anyone ask about recycling them. Only took a few weeks to fill it about 40%, about all a homer bucket will safely carry.
You may have better luck in person at auto shops, Coach. They get calls from all sorts of folks trying to sell something and they generally try to move on to a call from a customer asap. Don't overlook dealers, alignment shops and larger general mechanic shops.
Read some of the threads about smelting, great info! Gonna re-read some myself so I'll be ready when it cools off.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:24 PM   #7
zxcvbob

The grease and cigarette butts etc. help flux the melt. The rubber valve stems, not as much as you'd expect and the lead sticks to them. Pick them out.

You can keep the stick-on weights separate for casting soft lead bullets, or mix it in with the hard lead. Just make sure you pick out any weights that say "ZN" because it doesn't take many to poison a big batch of lead. I ruined some with stickon ZN weights because I was just watching out for zinc clip-ons. (there were enough iron weights mixed it that I didnt realize how hot the melt was.)
Old August 13, 2010, 07:34 PM   #8
coachseeley

The pretty painted ones...

I forgot to ask about the ones that seem to be "painted". Will those work? It seems to be a similar color to that pre-tinted garage floor greyish-silver color.
TXGunNut... what part of Tejas are you in? I'm in Dallas.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:40 PM   #9
TXGunNut

Wise, Cooke, Denton or Tarrant county, depends on the day and time.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:44 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

Caoch if you are in D-town try some of the places that sell used tires, like the ones in the somewhat seedy areas, like off of Carroll, and Live Oak, I think there may be one on Gaston. The small places like those will usualy just about give them to you. There are tons of tier shops around you. Also try a few of the places in Garland if I rember correctly there is Pep Boys on centerville, or MW Highway. I used to have to do a lot of driving in that area, and lived there for a brief period of time. Good luck in your search.