The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 15, 2010, 06:20 PM   #1
BGutzman

Value of a WWII Luger will all serial number matched parts, all origional

My father lives in Michigan and he owns a 9 mm Luger with origional everything, with minimal wear and all the parts have the matching serial numbers.

Where can I tell my father to take it to get a honest appraisal? I know its probably only worth a few hundred to a few thousand dollars but some have gone for big money...

Any ideas on who he could see to get a honest appraisal?
Old June 15, 2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Dobe

Start here:
http://www.lugerforum.com/
Old June 27, 2010, 01:22 AM   #3
jimmythejug

Please send me an IM if he's interested in selling it. I've wanted one for years and finally decided to "pull the trigger."

You might check gunbroker.com to find comparable models. Please consider the fact that a lot of gunbroker auctions are overpriced the sellers (dealers) just list the guns over and over again in the hopes that they'll sell.

From what I've seen, most of the common commercial and military models with matching numbers sell for around $750-$1500, depending upon the condition and whether they come with papers, holster, etc. Rare ones or really mint condition models can be considerably higher.
Old June 27, 2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

A Luger can sell from $400-$500 for a fair condition "shooter" to multiple thousands for various more-collectible models.

(There are Soviet captures that were used by Soviet police for years; these are functional guns, often with mismatched serial numbers [or renumbered side plates, etc.] That's the low end. It just goes up from there. )

Holsters, loading tools, and original mags raise the price. I've had several Lugers, from both categories -- and the "shooter" which I got for $375 some years ago, was a tack driver, despite a pitted barrel. All parts but the side-plate were matching on that one.)

What ever you do, have someone who knows Lugers look at the gun before trying to sell it. You may leave a lot of money on the table, otherwise.

And buyers should exercise similar care. There are probably more "faked" collectible Lugers (with some parts "re-strawed" and others renumbered to enhance their apparent value) than any other gun out there. And one valuable enough to command a higher price probably shouldn't be shot -- as you run the risk of damaging one or more of the "numbered" parts, which, if replaced, degrade the gun's value.

There may be a dealer or two in your area who can help with valuation. Here in NC, Cherry's (in Greensboro) has (or had) a person who knows Lugers.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; June 27, 2010 at 07:26 AM.

Tags
antique , appraisal , luger , pistol , rare