The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 22, 2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Homerboy

Shooting birdshot in NE PA

I went to the PA state range yesterday and wanted to fire a few rounds out of my shotgun. I fired some slugs, then switched to bird and buckshot for the hell of it. I got busted by some park ranger for shooting other than slugs. Anywhere located in NE PA that will allow birdshot? I'm not looking to shoot skeet.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:01 AM   #2
B.L.E.

Most public ranges won't let you shoot birdshot or buckshot because it does so much damage to target frames. It's probably not a state law, it's a shooting range ground rule.

Some skeet/trap ranges may have a patterning board to test loads on.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
dalecooper51

I'm not sure where you are in NEPA, but in the Lehigh Valley there are few private ranges that allow other than slugs. Stockertown Rod & Gun Club, East Bath, Easton Fish and Game, and Keystone Rod & Gun are a few where I have shot. I think the membership dues range from $15 - $40 a year. I can't speak on public ranges as I've only ever gone to private clubs.

I know you say that you are not looking to shoot skeet, but I became pretty bored rather quickly just shooting at the pattern board. The clay games really help gaing proficiency with a shotgun. If you can hit a clay moving at 40-50 mph, then there's a much better chance of hitting a 200 lb goblin at 3 mph.

If you change your mind and want to shoot clays, East Bath has a Thursday evening summer trap league. Rural sportsman club has trap, handicap, doubles, wobble, and skeet. They are open weds, sat, and sun. There is also Lehigh Valley Sporting clays.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Homerboy

I'm in Milford, just over the NY border. The park ranger was a bit of a dik. The rule is not posted, and I was aiming high over the targets into the hill behind them. I was just checking for function in the gun. Im a retired cop, and he still took down all my info. Didn't write me a summons, and I'm grateful, but he could have just told me not to do it again and I would have been off.
Old March 22, 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
dalecooper51

Sorry I don't get up that far much. I put a call in to a friend of mine near Stroudsburg. if he gets back to me with any decent suggestions, I'll let you know.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:39 AM   #6
olddrum1

Just curious as to why being a retired cop means you do not have to provide info like the rest of us?
Old March 23, 2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Homerboy

Quote:
Just curious as to why being a retired cop means you do not have to provide info like the rest of us?
Because where I come from, cops don't write other cops for non-criminal offenses. I have no problem being asked for ID. I had no problem providing it. But if he wasn't going to write me, he didn't need to write down my name. He was a rookie who had to ask his training partner what he should do. The rules were not visibly posted, my actions did not cause any problems for anybody else, and simple request for Id to validate my identity and a warning would have sufficed.

Cops expect courtesy from others. i am quite sure this guy would have pulled out his Ranger Rick badge if he got pulled over on the highway, and he wouldn't appreciate being made to wait for 5 minutes.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:04 PM   #8
NovemberWhiskey870

not worth getting in to.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Homerboy

You're right. If you never wore a badge, you'll never get it. I wasn't expecting a free pass on beating my wife or driving drunk. I was expecting professional courtesy for a non-criminal offesne, that, given the fact that the rule wasn't even clearly posted, EVERYONE should have gotten a pass.

Rookies are rookies everywhere you go. He should have made a decision rather than ask his partner.
Old April 5, 2009, 03:02 PM   #10
hangemhigh2000

ignorance is no excuse for the law

I shoot at the same range. Don't bother coming back, hear? Birdshot at a rifle range. You think you wouldn't have to be told. But obviously you didn't learn a thing. There must be 50 signs up, one posted on the table at each post. I mean this is really funny to normal people. lol real hard.
Old April 5, 2009, 04:49 PM   #11
Homerboy

Quote:
I shoot at the same range. Don't bother coming back, hear? Birdshot at a rifle range. You think you wouldn't have to be told. But obviously you didn't learn a thing. There must be 50 signs up, one posted on the table at each post. I mean this is really funny to normal people. lol real hard
I'll come back whenever I want to (next week probably, when I'm off) The cop pointed to the sign on the way down the dirt trail to the range. It's on an 8X10 piece of paper behind some bushes. The table we were shooting at had NO sign on it (the others did, but we weren't at those ones. The cop was a bit embarrased when he told me the signs were at every table and I pointed to the lack of one at mine.) 50 signs, huh? Closer to 15 (counting the pistol range that i was NOT at). I was at a target apart from other shooters, and I deliberately aimed high into the huge mound of dirt so as not to have my spread hit the stands or any other targets. I fired off 10 shots of birdshot, just to check for function in my new shotgun. My infraction hurt nobody, disrupted nobody else's shooting, and was totally harmless. I'm sure the rule is more to generate income from shooters hurting nobody then anything else (just as speeding traps are, I am quite sure of, since I manned one for many years). Either way, when I pulled over a decent citizen just trying to get to work, I never wrote them.

Busting someone's balls for such an innocuous offense is BS, period. How much is the "fine" anyway? I'm sure it was at least 100 bucks. What a joke. Do you know any other areas that you are allowed to shoot bird or buckshot in NE PA, or are you just gonna try to lecture a grown man? Perhaps you can also tell me the reasoning behind the "6 rounds per pistol" or "3 rounds per rifle rule"? I mean, somebody sighting in their rifle can take several minutes to fire off 3 shots, while the guy with the pistol can fire off 15 in less then 2 minutes. I mean, in in liberal anti-gun NY, you were allowed 1o rounds per mag, and pre-ban mags could be loaded to capacity. Why not just have a ceasfire at a designated time (say sound a horn every 10 minutes) rather then fine a guy who DARES to load more then 6 rounds into his 15 shot magazine or more then 3 rounds into his 20 or 30 round AR or Ruger 10/22? Nothing more than fleecing the public for nonsense fines, and you know it.

Last edited by Homerboy; April 5, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old April 6, 2009, 02:15 PM   #12
old knife buddy

i live in sussex nj just over the boarder which range is this the wma
Old April 6, 2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Homerboy

It's the range on route 6, about 12 miles west of Milford.
Old April 9, 2009, 02:41 PM   #14
the_pragmaticist

I made an left turn off an empty road into an empty (except for an officer waiting patiently in his car) parking lot two years ago. Some distance before the entry point, there was a no-left-turn sign. It didn't hurt anyone and I did it just to save a couple minutes of waiting at a light that takes forever to turn. He wrote me up for that and the grand total was $145 - should I be irritated?
Old April 9, 2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Homerboy

Went back today and read the signs at the tables. NOWHERE written on those signs does it state ANYTHING about limits on magazine capacity or birdshot. So not only did the table I WAS at not even have a sign, but they state nothing about birdshot or mag capacity. So the rule is nothing more than a trap to fleece people out of hard earned money.

And your analogy is stupid. Since you KNEW what you did was illegal, you take the hit. Since i was unaware of it, and the rule isn't even posted, it's total BS. (And this is coming from a retired cop).
Old April 9, 2009, 04:22 PM   #16
eastbank

you should know about fleecing people, glad you got a taste of what most people get from cops when stopped,a load of bs. what makes you any better than any one else in gods green earth? and its nice for you to prove what we have always thought, cops covering up for other cops, flash you badge and walk. i would like to thank that so called rookie for doing to you what he does to all other people. NO ONE BETTER, NO ONE WORSE,ALL THE SAME. suck it up you whinner. EASTBANK.
Old April 9, 2009, 04:59 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

eastbank, I am full aware of the fleecing we get from a percentage of LEO's but "crybaby" is easy to type if you can't spell WHINER... If you wish to discuss LEO fleecing I will discuss a small amount of mine in PM as much does not carry a statute of limitation and I prefer to use my fifth amendment right on much...
Brent
Old April 9, 2009, 05:27 PM   #18
Scubasimmons

A retired cop is not a cop. I don't understand the problem, you're mad because you were inconvienced for a few minutes? Join the crowd.
Old April 9, 2009, 05:49 PM   #19
Homerboy

Quote:
you should know about fleecing people, glad you got a taste of what most people get from cops when stopped,a load of bs. what makes you any better than any one else in gods green earth? and its nice for you to prove what we have always thought, cops covering up for other cops, flash you badge and walk. i would like to thank that so called rookie for doing to you what he does to all other people. NO ONE BETTER, NO ONE WORSE,ALL THE SAME. suck it up you whinner. EASTBANK.
HA Ha! You REALLY have an axe to grind, don't you? Let me educate you. I worked in a high crime ghetto. Those I DID pull over weren't written if they were decent, respectful, people. I saved my summonses for the real dirtbags. As for My incident, take some time to read the whole post. The rules were NOT posted at all, so NOBODY should be written. And I'm not gonna try to defend showing my retired ID to get out of paying a summons. Obviously, YOU have had many dealing with cops (why is that, by the way? Most decent people spend their whole lives with very minimal interactions with cops. I think i have had to deal with 4 or 5 cops in the last ten years). Anybody else would have done the same thing.

And in the end, i did not get written, just like any other time I have been pulled over for speeding or failing to signal. get over it. Cops don't write other cops.
Old April 9, 2009, 05:54 PM   #20
eastbank

thats my point, thanks for making it. eastbank.
Old April 9, 2009, 05:57 PM   #21
armsmaster270

They do if they are Adam Henrey's I have written civilians and cops and I have let civilians and cops go I have even Booked my Lt's Son because he flunked the attitude test.
Old April 9, 2009, 06:16 PM   #22
Homerboy

A cop being a dik deserves to get hooked and booked, no doubt. if you wrote a cop for speeding, you don't deserve to wear a badge. Judging by your webpage, you're a buff, and if you see lights behind you, we all know you''ll be the first to pull out your ID. Don't try to deny it. It's human nature.
Old April 9, 2009, 06:25 PM   #23
Bud Helms

Aaaand this one has pretty much gotten off topic and become an argument.

Closed.
Closed Thread