The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2007, 05:49 PM   #1
joerockt

Promo Code for midwayusa.com? Buying reload equip.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm about to drop $400 on reloading equipment and was wondering if anyone had a promotion code for midwayusa.com?

And is this the best place? Prices seem reasonable. Any other suggestions?
Old May 29, 2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Vitamin G

I had a positive experience with them.

Just make sure EVERYTHING you order is in-stock. Midway will charge you multiple shipping if you give them a large order and any backordered items come in piecemeal. They don't hold your order until everything is in stock.
Old May 29, 2007, 08:14 PM   #3
CrustyFN

What equipment are you buying?
Rusty
Old May 29, 2007, 09:11 PM   #4
joerockt

All sorts of crap

I've decided on the Lee Pro 1000 as my press for .40S&W. I'll eventually do 7.62x39 on it. Also getting a Frankford Arsenal case tumbler and a bunch of other odds and ends. The press costs $132.99...

I'm going to buy the powder and primers here, as midwayusa charges a $20 hazard fee. Still not really sure as to what powder I should use. Though I have found a lot of useful sites that have formulas as to what works best.
Old May 29, 2007, 09:41 PM   #5
CrustyFN

I was wondering because if it was the classic turret you can buy it cheaper other places. You might want to check into the hazmat fee at Midway. My understanding is they stock the primers and have the powder dropped shipped so you will pay a $20 hazmat on each. These two places ( https://www.grafs.com/index.php, http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/powders.shtml will ship them together and only charge the one $20 hazmat fee. I know somebody that ordered powder from Midway and when they got it, it had a Powder Valley sticker on it.
Rusty
Old May 30, 2007, 11:41 PM   #6
Daniel BOON

keep this in mind

you get what you pay for.
Old June 1, 2007, 06:55 PM   #7
joerockt

^^^ Yea, usually I would agree. It just that I really havent heard too many negative things about the Lee presses?
Old June 1, 2007, 07:08 PM   #8
CrustyFN

I own a Lee Classic Turret and couldn't be happier. I don't have any experience with the pro 1000 but have heard some good things about it. I prefer a four station press because I like to seat and crimp in a seperate operation. Good luck with what ever you decide to buy and welcome to reloading.
Rusty
Old June 2, 2007, 07:12 PM   #9
rein

i have a pro 1000 with around 5000 rounds made with no problems just keep the primers full and you'll be all set...
Old June 21, 2007, 01:32 PM   #10
joerockt

After talking with a few people at the range, I ended up going with the Dillon 550B. A little more then what I wanted to spend, but it should last me quite some time.
Old June 21, 2007, 06:02 PM   #11
CrustyFN

The Dillon 550 is a fine press. I think there are a lot of good presses out there and you would be fine with about any of them. The hard part for a new person is making sure you buy a press with room to grow into so you won't have to upgrade in a month, but also won't be to hard for a new person to learn on. Good luck and load safe.
Rusty