The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2006, 11:24 PM   #1
PinnedAndRecessed

7.62 x 39 as a hunting cartridge?

I've got a Ruger Mini 30 Ranch with Bausch and Lomb 2x6 scope.

Does this gun have value as a hunting rifle? Deer? Hogs?

Advice?

thanx.
Old October 14, 2006, 11:53 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

It's in the same general class as the 30-30. It gives up some to the 30-30 in bullet weight, but it has an aerodynamics advantage over most 30-30 ammunition.

Finding good hunting ammo may be an issue, but the caliber itself is a reasonable choice.

I'd say that it's in the range of rifle/ammo combinations that will definitely work if you don't ask too much of them.
Old October 15, 2006, 12:01 AM   #3
Twycross

With a SP bullet, 7.62x39 will be fine for deer out to ~150 yards. I wouldn't take it any farther than that. I don't know much about hog hunting, so I can't comment about 7.62x39 suitability for that.
Old October 15, 2006, 01:47 AM   #4
timothy75

The 762X39 is a first class bullet when loaded with a Barnes X.
Old October 15, 2006, 07:55 AM   #5
dfaugh

With the right bullet---fine for deer out to (relatively) short ranges, say under 100 yards.

Pigs under 200 lbs. OK with the right bullet but shot placement a bit more critcal.

BIG pigs---get more gun!

My .02

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old October 16, 2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Scorch

7.62X39 has about 80% as much muzzle energy as a 30-30, at 200 yds they are about equal, beyond that the 7.62X39 has more. But at 200 yds with a 100 yds zero, 7.62X39 with a 150 gr bullet drops 13 inches, and drops drastically past that, so limit yourself accordingly.
Old October 16, 2006, 09:27 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Corbon and Wolf both offer 150+ gr soft point hunting ammo - not a half bad l'il whitetail round. Agree that on big-ish hogs or elk, get a bigger gun.
Old October 16, 2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Csspecs

Most of the charts I looked up show the 30-30 in a 20 or 24 inch barrel. So depending on the gun 7.62x39 can be better.
Old October 17, 2006, 09:43 AM   #9
john in jax

+1 for the Mini-30

A great little brush gun - hunted with my Mini-30 Ranch Rifle for years. Personally I tried to limit my shots to 100 yards or less, but that's just where I felt comfortable. The 7.62x39 round easily has enough energy out to 150 yards to drop small whitetails or pigs with decent shot placement.

Hunting (soft point) rounds are easy to find at most retailers. Shot placement is critical, make sure you at least some practice with the same round you will be hunting with.
Old October 17, 2006, 04:46 PM   #10
Mannlicher

its close to a 30-30, but keep in mind that the commie round is a lighter bullet in most loadings. About the same velocity, lighter bullet. With a well constucted hand load or commercial hunting round, it will take deer just fine. I would keep ranges under 100 yards though.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 18, 2006, 07:55 AM   #11
Jack O'Conner

My Dad (deceased 2004) hunted mulies and whitetails with a Russian SKS carbine. Plain Winchester SUPER X ammo featuring the 123 grain soft tip did the job. None got away. Watch your distance and you'll do well with this interesting cartridge.

Good hunting to you.
Jack
Old October 25, 2006, 05:17 PM   #12
kjm

I use my father's AK for pigs and I've had mixed results... However, I've used a 30-06 and had similar mixed results. Pigs seem to need good shot placement over caliber. When I hit them right behind the ear, they drop dead in their tracks, whereas when I take a chest or frontal head-shot, they run usually impressive distances and in many cases we don't find them until they begin to stink.

A good friend of mine shot a hog in the head and I found brain matter all over the yoapon bushes but the hog ran further than we could track. To me that is amazing that a hog missing a good chunk of brain could run.

My brother in law's dad kills pigs with a .22 using the same shot placement (behind the ear, where the neck connects to the skull). His results are mixed, but if they're smaller pigs, he's somewhat successful.

I personally prefer buckshot and a 12 gage, but I hunt very thick brush where most of my shots will be less than 30 yards. The shotgun isn't great for the big sows and boars, but when they have 4 or 5 pigs with them, it does wonderfully at controlling the population.

I'd say keep your range low and your shot-placement good, and you can take your SKS or AK.
Old October 25, 2006, 05:23 PM   #13
UniversalFrost

Why all these redundant threads on the 7.62X39 as a hunting round. next time, just do a quick search and you will find at least a dozen exact threads on the same flipp'n topic. you can only beat a dead horse so much.

Oh and by the way 7.62X39 (soft point not FMJ) will do the job on pig, deer, etc.. out to about a couple hundred yards with a good rifle and sights as long as the shooter does his job.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green