The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
MTG

Ever had a hull stuck in the barrel?

I guess the title pretty much sums it up. Went skeet shooting yesterday and had some issues...first shot fired just fine and I just heard a click on my second shot.

It's an automatic and I didn't realize the shell didn't eject, so I just pulled the bolt handle to manually eject the shell. My second shot fired but also failed to eject.

Decided to call it a day but I couldn't get the shell to eject using the bolt handle...bolt wouldn't move. Ended up taking the gun apart and the hull was still inside the barrel...had to use a cleaning rod to push it out.

I know a lot of handguns can be picky about ammo, but I've never heard of this in a shotgun (aside from the fact that certain types of ammo pattern better out of certain guns). Any experience with shotguns being picky about shells? I was using cheap shells so I'm guessing that's it, but wanted to make sure this doesn't sound like a problem with the gun (that might make it unsafe to fire different shells).

It's a Charles Daly 12 gauge that I inherited...never had a problem with it before but I've also never fired this particular brand of shells.
Old September 5, 2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Good idea to try different loads, you just might find one the gun likes. Not to rain on your parade, but bear in mind that Charles Daly shotguns, the ones made in Turkey, had some real quality problems, also the importer folded and parts are made of unobtanium and when you have one that malfunctions you're mainly SOL. I won't work on them in my shop. GW
Old September 5, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3
BigJimP

Switching ammo ...is your best way to find out what is happening / if its happening with other shells.....

If the problem continues, you have an extractor problem in your gun...

Its not that most shotguns are finnicky on ammo / its more a question of the components in the gun ...but some ammo, especially the cheaper stuff, might have a tendancy to be a little bit out of round...or dished in areas around the crimp ...and they can present cycling issues in some guns. I see a lot of guys shooting the cheap Federal shells at my club...and some of them don't look too good coming out of a box...

I'd try some Remington Gun club shells...or some RIO's as an alternative to whatever you've been shooting - and see how it works.
Old September 5, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4
zippy13

Quote:
...so I just pulled the bolt handle to manually eject the shell.
Since you could manually eject, it seems your problem wasn't a stuck hull but a failure to cycle correctly.
Old September 6, 2012, 11:26 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

When you say that your "hull was still inside the barrel" do you mean that the spent shotshell was still in the chamber? Or do you mean the wad was stuck somewhere in the barrel?

+ for what Zippy says. First rule out a dirty gun and especially a clogged gas port.
Old September 7, 2012, 09:38 AM   #6
MTG

Sorry, I admittedly don't have the best terminology (but I'm trying to learn). The spent shotshell was still in the chamber. The gun was very clean...haven't shot it in over a year but it has a lot of sentimental value, so I've always taken it apart and cleaned/oiled it every 1-2 months.

My first thought was that there was a cycling problem but I think (not sure) the cycling problem may have been caused by the shell being stuck in the barrel. I had to use a small screwdriver to lift the ejector in order to get the barrel off. I THINK the fact that the bolt wouldn't (because the ejector was still holding onto the shell that wouldn't move) was my problem.

It's probably just the shells but I wanted to make sure the problem didn't sound like an obvious problem that might be a safety issue. Thanks for the input and suggestions!
Old September 7, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7
TheKlawMan

Manual

If you don't have an owners manual http://stevespages.com/pdf/charlesda...to_shotgun.pdf
Old September 7, 2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Gunplummer

Could be cheap shells. The shell length of a shotgun shell is determined after firing. (2 3/4, 3", ect.) Some older guns were not too liberal on the chamber length. Some shells are slightly longer than others. I have a single shot (old) I use to slug hunt. I tried buck shot that was allegedly the same length and it got stuck as yours did. The plastic really welds in where the chamber ends. Not the first time I have seen this problem. Not saying it is your problem, but a possibility. Compare a couple different empty shell lengths.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:04 PM   #9
PT-92

Oh Yeah

I bought a brand new Remington 1187 and went to the range and upon my very first shot I had the exact same problem of the OP. The hull became stuck in the chamber and would not budge (extract). I took it home and researched the issue and it turned out that Remington is know to ship their shotguns with chambers that require 'polishing.' It's ridiculous to have that problem when you pay a lot for what is supposed to be something that is subject to a professional QC process ? Nevertheless, once I used a drill with steel wool and polished the chamber mirror-like smooth, Bang, bang, bang every-time thereafter.

However, in your case you have successfully fired the gun previously so it could be the ammo as others suggested. Try again "known to work ammo" and see what she says? Same problem and I think it might be what I described above (perhaps).
Old September 8, 2012, 10:50 PM   #10
hagar

My buddy shot some kind of 2 3/4 magnum in his pump 870, and it got stuck solid. We were quail hunting and did not have any tools handy, so we were stumped for a bit. How did we get it out? Took the barrel off and I shot it out with my Ruger 22 pistol!
Old September 9, 2012, 03:34 PM   #11
BoogieMan

I never had a hull stick in the barrel. BUT, I had a box of RIO shells firing the hulls right out the end of my BPS (I dont think quality can be considered an issue with this gun). I sent the shells back to RIO and they sent me new all on there dollar. I was just ejecting the brass. Your lucky you didnt load another shell with the hull in the barrel.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 11, 2012, 04:55 PM   #12
clemsonbloz

i've had reloads stick in a barrel,, but that was because my resizer on the reloader wasn't adjusted correctly..

try another brand of ammo..