The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2000, 08:01 PM   #1
Sisco

Got my first deer today, not much to brag about except that it was the first one. It was a small 3x3 Mulie buck, maybe with time I'll develop more patience and wait for the big one to come along!
It was about 200yds, moving quickly away (not running but that would make for a better story!) dropped it with one shot from a Ruger M77 in 243. Worst part is now I have to wait a whole year to do it again.
Old December 2, 2000, 08:06 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Not sure what you wouldn't brag about. A good kill at two hundred yards on a moving target looks like bragging rights to me.

Giz
Old December 2, 2000, 08:13 PM   #3
capnrik

Congratulations on the first of many! As you get more experience, you will meet hunters that will tell you that your.243 just isn't enough gun.

Just smile and nod, and remember watching that first buck hit the ground with one well placed shot.

Congratulations SK, hunter and rifleman!
Old December 2, 2000, 10:12 PM   #4
BadMedicine

I agree, I would rather deer hunt with a .243 or 6mm rather than a 30-06 anyday. This probably stems from the fact that my 30-06 is a springfield 1903 that wieghs an approximate 73.6 some-odd lbs!! In the West where I've hunted deer anyways, out east with closer shots, and maybe the need for a brush-busting bullet I may reconsider.

SK, don't talk yourself down. A little 3x3? That's a trophy! When I shot my blacktaildoe I was excstatic for a few days,I kept rubbing it in how my guns was off my shoulder and they deer was toast before my brother could even find it in his scope.
Old December 2, 2000, 10:17 PM   #5
tatters

PETA would be proud! lol really-------Congrats!!!!
Old December 3, 2000, 12:37 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, well, every time you sit down to eat some of that deer, you can remember the day and the shot, all over again. And every time you look at the horns, you'll remember. Non-hunters will never know such good fortune, such good memories.

That deer will be immortal throughout your lifetime. And, I hope, you'll immortalize many, many more...

, Art
Old December 3, 2000, 07:58 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on your trophy, and yes, it IS a trophy.

Art, Amen.....
Old December 3, 2000, 09:23 AM   #8
muleshoe

SK, is that Garden City KS you're from? If so I have an old high school/hunting buddy that lives there. He has several mulies in the state record books. We used to hunt up in the Pawnee area, that's where he finds them. Congrats on your first deer! I'm sure there will be many more.
Old December 3, 2000, 10:45 AM   #9
Sisco

Muleshoe- As a matter of fact.. I've lived in GC for about 20 years now, got the deer near the Pawnee, on the Finney/Lane Co. line.
Old December 3, 2000, 07:48 PM   #10
Jay Baker

SK, you put good venison in the freezer, and did it fairly. Congratulations! It ain't about killing the biggest rack, it's about hunting and hunting fairly.

There's an old saying, "Big horns make mighty thin soup."

Enjoy those steaks and roasts. J.B.
Old December 3, 2000, 08:13 PM   #11
PJR

Although it was years ago, I can remember seeing the crosshairs on the chest of the first whitetail I shot like it was yesterday.

Congratulations.
Old December 5, 2000, 10:45 AM   #12
Coolray

SK
I grew up and hunted in South Eastern Montana,If you have never hunted there, Big Muleys are abundant. I had my sights on a large 4-5 Point when a Buck got up and was walking away from me, I could not see how many points this guy had but the spread was insane and this was from nearly 200 Yards so I shifted my aim and harvested myself what I fully expected to be a Boone and Crocket sized Deer(my brother shot a B&C deer a year or to back) well I went to check out my kill. My 1903 Springfield almost would not hang in the rack of my HUGE 3 point his antlers were average diameter but only 3 point So any time you harvest a nice buck enjoy it you never really know what you get until you put your hands on it.
Old December 5, 2000, 11:08 AM   #13
CD1

You'll be able to recall every minute detail from that hunt until the day you die. The memories from that first deer never fade. You'll also be dreaming about it till next year when you get another chance to do it again. Congrats.