The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 9, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
jimbob86

10K round Brass vs. Steel cased ammo test @ Lucky Gunner

I saw this at Oleg's:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

They burned up 40K rounds in 4(sort of) rifles, to quantify what I already knew: cheap ammo runs dirty, and steel jacketed bullets are worse for a barrel than copper jacketed bullets.

Very interesting read, though, with plenty of the "why"s to what happened.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Xfire68

Maybe they should have used a higher end brand of rifle? I know many Bushy's are gtg but as seen here quality control was lacking on 2 of the 3.

The test results did not surprise me. Steel cased ammo just does not function as well as brass. Steel cased = fun cheaper target ammo. I know not everyone reloads but brass cased ammo has the added value that is can be or the brass saved and sold to those that do reload.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Does anyone think the lack of maintenace played a role in the barrel damage?
i.e. a buildup of soft steel in the rifling?
Old January 9, 2013, 02:51 PM   #4
tahunua001

Quote:
They burned up 40K rounds in 4(sort of) rifles, to quantify what I already knew: cheap ammo runs dirty, and steel jacketed bullets are worse for a barrel than copper jacketed bullets.
alright not to nit pick or anything but there are several things wrong with this.

1. every bullet fired out of those rifles are copper jacketed, not steel. the CASINGS are brass and steel but all bullets are copper.
2. Federal brass cased left the most residue and grime making it the dirtiest of the 3 that finished.

however I do find it interesting that while wolf, tula, and brown bear are essentially the same round built by the same manufacturer the Tula had to be removed from testing due to the number of stuck cases, short strokes and failures to feed while the brown bear and wolf all managed to finish the test with an acceptable number of malfunctions for plinking ammo(would never use it for SD myself).

I always have been anti steel cased guy myself but I'm starting to see that it may just be Tula causing most of the problems.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:56 PM   #5
B. Lahey

Quote:
1. every bullet fired out of those rifles are copper jacketed, not steel. the CASINGS are brass and steel but all bullets are copper.
The jackets of the cheap import ammo used here are bimetal. As I understand it, bimetal jackets are copper plated mild steel.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Metal god

What I found to be most interesting was the gas port hole errosion .Sure all the other stuff was cool and I think we all had a basic understanding of what was going to happen . I never new that could happen to the gas port . After reading it , I thought duh that makes sense . Those gases would act just like a torch cutting through the metal .

EDIT : Hey Lahey you better check the gas port on the gun you just hit 13k with

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 9, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:30 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
every bullet fired out of those rifles are copper jacketed, not steel. the CASINGS are brass and steel but all bullets are copper.
Put a magnet to those bullets, tahunua .... might be an eye opener for ya ...... I know the Herter's stuff I bought at Cabela's attracts a magnet.

Quote:
Federal brass cased left the most residue and grime making it the dirtiest of the 3 that finished.
If you read the whole article, they had a theory on why that was......