The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 25, 2009, 12:14 AM   #51
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Magazine now seems to be the more accepted term by the knowledgable gun owning public below the age of 50.....I am generalizing the age a bit because I really dont know where to pin point it but here is the point. I know many educated gun owners that are a bit older than me that call handgun magazines, clips.
That's because some of us remember when magazines were called "clip magazines" in all those sporting goods catalogs. Wards was a perfect example with their Western Field rifles. Eventually, they started using "box magazine" though both terms were used interchangeably for quite a while. I would imagine there are many gun owners that haven't bought a new weapon since those days, in fact I know of a few myself. They would more than likely still call them clips.
Old August 25, 2009, 10:12 AM   #52
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't mean to make the thread all about clips and magazines, I was just using that as the most obvious example.
Old August 26, 2009, 11:26 PM   #53
Tom Servo
Staff

Heck, even Elmer Keith made the error:

Quote:
In speed of reloading, the autopistol has its inning, as you simply drop out the old clip and fit in a new one and you are ready to fire again. (Sixguns, p.64)
Old August 27, 2009, 08:39 AM   #54
TRguy

It's firearm......

It's firearm in civilian conversation not weapon.

* Main Entry: 1weap·on
* Pronunciation: \ˈwe-pən\
* Function: noun
* Etymology: Middle English wepen, from Old English wǣpen; akin to Old High German wāffan weapon, Old Norse vāpn
* Date: before 12th century

1 : something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2 : a means of contending against another

The MSM uses the term weapon to demonize and make it sound ominous. We should describe it in proper terms. People come into my office (I typically open carry in my office) they say,"Why are you carrying a weapon?". To which I reply in some form of a question, "To which weapon are you referencing? My Pen, knife, firearm, shoe, .....?"

When I am paper punching, it isn't a weapon it is pistol, rifle, revolver, firearm,.....

When I am instructing it is a pistol, revolver, firearm,.....

Why the need to use the term weapon so much in general civilian conversation?

(Now are you military folks thinking of flaming me, if in the context of military training or duty, of course it is a weapon. See the above definition)
Old August 27, 2009, 08:54 AM   #55
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

The thing in my holster is a weapon. I do not carry it around all day in case a paper target attacks me.
Old August 27, 2009, 08:55 AM   #56
Gbro

And when you are in a bad situation, (someone is trespassing on your private property) that firearm can become a defensive "WEAPON" in the blink of an eye.

I look at those that call their shotgun carried in the field while hunting a weapon, about the same way I do those who call a magazine a clip, or cartridges shells.
Ya the NRA instructors material want us to use less threatening language when training Basic Pistol and such.
I do not subscribe to PC and never will.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:01 AM   #57
TRguy

duh, OP is civilian conversation, range, office, gatherings, matches, training, .....

if you are in the context of a self defense situation and use it of course it's a weapon. (But so is a pencil, pen knife, feet, hand, in that situation.....a weapon is what you have at hand to defend yourself.)

if you are in self defense situation and only have your hands and your gouge the eyeballs out of your attacker or shove your fist down their open mouth to dislocate their jaw...your hand is a weapon.

Referring to something in its correct name in the context of setting and conversation isn't PC and knowing proper use of words. (ie calling a shotgun a weapon in the middle of a dove field....roll eyes)
Old August 27, 2009, 07:57 PM   #58
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
if you are in self defense situation and only have your hands and your gouge the eyeballs out of your attacker or shove your fist down their open mouth to dislocate their jaw...your hand is a weapon.
Referring to something in its correct name in the context of setting and conversation isn't PC and knowing proper use of words. (ie calling a shotgun a weapon in the middle of a dove field....roll eyes)
Alright, if you want to take this road, I'll drive it...

What's the primary reason of firearms manufacture? That's right, it's for use as a weapon. It's used to destroy paper, bowling pins, and other fine targets. It's also designed to stop assailants by means of destroying tissue, body parts, and, if need be, the attacker's life.

In short, if you want to get technical, I think your use of the word firearm may not be correct. The correct term may as well be a "TOOL".

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 27, 2009, 08:50 PM   #59
oneounceload

mag vs. clip doesn't grate on me as bad as "shottie" for shotgun or other similarities. Whether it is a trade name or a generic noun, these "short terms" annoy me as does lazy typing/grammar. Everyone makes typographical errors, understand that.....I guess I grew up knowing the difference between they're, their and there, among others.......
Old August 27, 2009, 09:06 PM   #60
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess I grew up knowing the difference between they're, their and there, among others.......
That does irritate me. Words that have become shorthand don't tend to bother me too much. Seeing that people don't know there from they're is annoying.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:31 PM   #61
Falcon5NZ

Shotty does get to me. However I'm bad with ammo names. e.g. .300 Winchester Magnum becomes .300 Win Mag or .300 Magnum. .300 Winchester Magnum sounds to "clunky" IMHO. At my first job all the Acronymed cartridge names (Winchester Short Magnum, Winchester Super Short Magnum, Remington Ultra Magnum, Short Action Ultra Magnum) were "wordised" e.g WSM was "Wiz-im, WSSM was "Wizz-im", SAUM was "Sarm" and RUM... well that should be obvious. And how hard is it to think "Do I want they're as in they are, their as in possesive or there as in location?"
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Old August 27, 2009, 10:20 PM   #62
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Seeing that people don't know there from they're is annoying.
You can add "than" and "then" in the mix, also. It's a cancer. I'm talking the whole gambit from basic person/person notes to full blown professional publications. This alone is the reason why I just can't let it be when even the basic terms are misused. It infiltrates into our society because of ignorance and lack of accountability.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 27, 2009, 10:23 PM   #63
Falcon5NZ

I remember not long ago I laughed at a friend because she said "LOL" (Laugh out loud for those who don't know) instead of laughing!!!
I'm 19 and have a cellphone. I don't think I've ever used the term in a text let alone a conversation.
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Old August 27, 2009, 10:28 PM   #64
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttle8
It infiltrates into our society because of ignorance and lack of accountability.
I had an English proffesor in college who would talk about these things.... words like "ain't" and similar autrocities. He'd go on a tirade and end with "Lost another one to the heathen, I suppose."

He was a fun guy, one of my favorites.
Old August 27, 2009, 10:35 PM   #65
Uncle Buck

But you guys just don't understand! It is about the user of these terms feeling good about themselves. Does it really matter if there using the wright terms or words when there talking to there friends? What is more important, speeching correctly or appearing to have some sort of inteligance (not intelligence) when talking with there friends? (:barf

I read a note from a teacher that basically said the above. It was in reply to a note one of the parents sent to school with her child. The misspellings were painful, made even more so, knowing she was in charge of these kids education.

That being said, I take no offense to being corrected, but make it corrective criticism. Don't come at me trying to sound all superior and make me look stupid. A Very enjoyable thread.
Old August 27, 2009, 10:38 PM   #66
Skan21

Quote:
Shotty does get to me.
Guilty . When I was in Iraq, my buddy used to call it that. "Hey, grab the shotty, we're going in this door." What, am I supposed to stand around and argue with the guy while we're on a raid? So I picked it up, and haven't gotten rid of it yet. It's probably been mentioned, but I hate the phrase tactical. And I can't stand when anyone calls a rifle a Sniper Rifle. Since when did there become a category of rifles solely for snipers?

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 27, 2009, 11:01 PM   #67
Falcon5NZ

Skan seeing as you served I think you can have a exception. Besides I'm willing to bet terminology was the last thing on you mind. I agree with sniper rifle though. Theres no such thing as a sniper rifle. There is such thing as a Sniper's Rifle as in a rifle belonging to a sniper. Thanks to video games though they have become called that.

Old August 28, 2009, 05:57 AM   #68
PT111

Quote:
I guess I grew up knowing the difference between they're, their and there, among others.......
That does irritate me along with the shotty, winny, remmy, sale for sell and your for you're. However the one that irritates me the most is "Me and a friend went.....". Typo's are a part of life as I am guilty of it and can easily forgive those but .........
Old August 28, 2009, 09:13 AM   #69
Gbro

Back in the early 80's while on standby (EMT) at a murder scene with many state & local LEO's, room had to be made for lighting equipment as the standoff was going into the night.
A state trooper with his smokey the bear hat on so low that I couldn't see his eyes asked me "How are you at moving squads".
When I replied, Are they not a car, he kind of pouted and said, Ya.
This has always reminded me of inflated ego's. Gun owners can have one over their Red Label as well as a trooper with a flashy squad car.
Those that get bent out of shape over a shot gun being called a shotty probably wouldn't care for what I call them on occasion. To me they are more or less a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] pipe.
Old August 28, 2009, 09:19 AM   #70
spodwo

Quote:
And I can't stand when anyone calls a rifle a Sniper Rifle. Since when did there become a category of rifles solely for snipers?
Hmmm...

Hunting rifle.

Target rifle.

Sniping Rifle.

Varmint Rifle.

So - I have to surmise that "sniping rifle" has to be acceptable....

But do a google search and see how the world views it...I used GOOGLE TRENDS analysis and you might as well get used to the term SNIPER RIFLE.

Yep...

Sniping Rifle doesn't even show up...

http://www.google.com/trends?q=snipe...+sniping+rifle

Do a comparison between Hunting Rifle and Sniper Rifle...

http://www.google.com/trends?q=snipe...ate=all&sort=0

Just for giggles -

Comparison of Gun Magazine and Gun Clip

http://www.google.com/trends?q=gun+m...ate=all&sort=0

But consider how many people are searching for reading material versus something which holds "bullets" [I know - it's cartridges but I just HAD to say it...]
Old August 28, 2009, 09:47 AM   #71
roy reali

Yes It Does

Quote:
Sniping Rifle doesn't even show up...
Yes they do show up. At camp after dark. They can be used in conjunction with a sack. Some snipes can be quite aggressive.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:25 PM   #72
oneounceload

Quote:
And I can't stand when anyone calls a rifle a Sniper Rifle. Since when did there become a category of rifles solely for snipers?

Since the advent of video games and the video game commandos.........the wannabees who have to have everything "tacticool" (THERE'S another term).....

Someone has a sig line: "THEY'RE eating THEIR lunch over THERE".......

It really isn't THAT hard...........
Old August 28, 2009, 03:10 PM   #73
Evan Thomas

Quote:
There is such thing as a Sniper's Rifle as in a rifle belonging to a sniper. Thanks to video games though they have become called that.
Oh, video games... of course, silly me.

I was rather wondering where this came from, after reading the thread in the Rifle forum in which the OP wants to know what "sniper rifle" he should get... for hunting bears.

Quote:
It really isn't THAT hard...........
Nope, it ain't hard uh-tall.
Old August 28, 2009, 05:53 PM   #74
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Seeing that people don't know there from they're is annoying.

You can add "than" and "then" in the mix, also. It's a cancer.
Your kidding, right?

That's the one that bugs me! Makes me want to go Nuc-u-lar.
Old August 28, 2009, 09:46 PM   #75
TimT

Quote:
When I am paper punching, it isn't a weapon it is pistol, rifle, revolver, firearm,.....
Whatever.

It's a gun. Guns are, at their core, weapons.

...And actually, if you are punching paper, it sounds like you are using a weapon - your fists, or some other weapon