The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Tuzo

Lee Safety Prime & Louisiana coffee

My Lee Safety Prime mounted on a Lee Classic Cast press has a mystifying quirk. No matter the type or size of primer the final two primers will not load the ram. Is this a common problem or a deliberate design feature? Otherwise the Safety Prime works fine. Solutions, suggestions, tricks of the trade are all welcome.

Last edited by Tuzo; April 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old April 26, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Fire_Moose

Re: Lee Safety Prime

Mine too.

I pop them into my hand and into the lever....or dump in more primers
Old April 26, 2013, 12:59 AM   #3
david_r

Mount your press on a lazy susan and spin it when you get to the last two primers It is the way it is. The last two primers are horizontal in the feed groove so there is nothing pushing them.

Best solution is dump another box of primers in there and keep loading.
Old April 26, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Tuzo

I am relieved to know that this condition is a true "feature" of the Safety Prime.

The lazy Susan idea is great but it needs tweaking. I envision a variable speed record turntable mount with rails. Paint it black and call it tactical.

In reality, I also remove the last two primers and hand feed them.
Old April 28, 2013, 11:04 PM   #5
dickttx

Why get down to the last two primers. I try to always end up with at least a half box in the magazine. Lift it off and store it in a Folgers coffee plastic(can?).
Old April 29, 2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Tuzo

Here in southeast Louisiana we imbibe Community coffee. Folgers is for the rest of the country. Saying this, I have no Folgers cans to store primers.

To avoid mix ups I use 100 primers at a time in the Safety Prime tray and return any unused primers to the original container. No need to write notes to myself or rely on memory.

Coffee story:

A married couple from Texas were passing through Louisiana on their way to Florida. Stopping in Lafayette for breakfast they asked the counter cook if he had real Louisiana coffee. "Of course," replied the cook and served each a steaming freshly brewed cup. One sip and the Texas couple revoltingly rejected the coffee as "horrible." Cook reached under the counter for his handgun and pointed at the couple saying "Drink it all." They did.

Cook then poured himself a cup, handed the gun to either the wife or husband (can't remember which), and said "Point this at me while I have my cup of morning coffee."
Old April 29, 2013, 10:14 AM   #7
dickttx

I counted primers until I got the LCT and Safety Prime. I soon realized the only reason to do so was so you would not run out and have an unprimed case. Therefore, when I notice that I am down to about a 1/3 full magazine I dump in a new box. Since they are stored flat in the magazine I just slip it off and put it in the can. Those Community coffee sacks wouldn't provide much protection. And you would have to buy the large size at Sam's.

My overflow--most are in use.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Tuzo

Impressive stockpile of Folgers flavored primers! But not a coffee cup in sight.

Folgers dark roasts are very good. Spent 3 months in NJ volunteering after hurricane Sandy, froze my toes into Popsicles, and enjoyed Folgers coffee. NJ gun regulations are nowhere near as enjoyable - slingshots are illegal!