The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 7, 2009, 09:36 PM   #1
DG45

Anybody know where to get a leather rig like this?

Stasi rig.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought an East German 9x18 mm Makarov when they first came into this country. It was supposedly used by the East German Secret Police - ie., the Stasi. The gun came with a cheap as dirt leather shoulder holster with a yellow oilcloth top flap. It was a very well concieved holster though, and I've never seen one made like it before or since - of course I haven't spent a lot of time looking. But this holster was a cross-draw holster for a righthanded person and the gun rode under my left armpit at about mid-rib heigth. It was very stable and completely concealed under a suit coat. The holster was connected to two fairly wide suspender-type straps that buttoned inside the front belt area of my pants (I had to have the buttons installed). These suspenders went around my neck outside my dress shirt and connected to a sort of harness in the back. There were no rear straps on the suspenders. I know it sounds like the suspenders would ride up on your neck without a back strap that connected to the belt, but they never did, I guess because of the harness design in the back. One of the great things about it was that the front suspenders of this rig kept me aware of standing up straight, and it also kept my pants from slipping down like they do sometimes if you just wear a belt and you have a little bit of a gut - like I did. Anyway, this Stasi-rig made my pants hang right and that in turn made my suits look like I'd had them tailored. I actually got compliments because my suits actually fit like they were supposed to for a change. But the materials that were used in the holster itself were just way too cheap and I was constantly afraid I'd be seen wearing the thing and be HUMILIATED because it looked SO CHEAP - a yellow oilcloth flap!!! It's embarrassing just remembering. So I eventually deep-sixed the Stas-rig. But I never found another one made like it in good leather. I'd still like to have one to fit my Mak if anyone can suggest where I can find a decent rig that works like that one did.Any suggestions?
Old February 8, 2009, 08:47 AM   #2
kirkcdl

Try posting this in the Slim Tim's Makarov Forums on gunboards.net...