The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 14, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
bruno diaz

Possibly buying my first SKS

At my LGS, I saw a Type 56 Chinese SKS. It has the blade bayonet and seems to be in decent condition. The stock is in poor shape, but I didn't see any cracks, just a lot of dings. The bluing was nice and the action worked fine. It still had the cleaning rod, but I didn't check to see if it had the buttstock cleaning kit. I saw that SKS's are hot right now and that a shipment of this particular model was just imported and that they're going fast. The store has it listed for 299.99. I passed on a nicer, newer SKS with the original and a Ramline stock for $350 2 years ago and have been kicking myself since. Everything I read says that the Type 56s with the blade were made closest to Russian specs and are one of the more desirable guns. I don't see gun prices going down much (other than ARs) in the future. Is $300 too much for this gun, or should I jump on it?
Old April 14, 2013, 05:26 PM   #2
DnPRK

$300 is a good price for an all-matching Sino-Soviet SKS in good condition.
Old April 14, 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Garycw

Possibly buying my first SKS

Yes that's a good price. I have one listed for sale @$400
Old April 14, 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
bustersmaster

Sounds like a good price these days. In our area, the prices of SKS's have settled down a bit, but still hard to find much below $400.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5
UtahHunting

Personally I feel it is a good price. However I am partial to SKS's and haven't seen many originals I don't like. The price on SKS's is coming down at least here where I live. I was at the gunshow today and there were 2 brand new Norinco's for $399. Last gun show they wanted $600 for them.

I personally like the type 56 you are looking at because it is a rifle used in real battle and that adds character in my opinion. If you hold out you will probably find a cheaper one in the coming months - it really just depends on how bad you want one right now.

Here is mine: $299 at Cabelas