The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2011, 04:18 PM   #1
fireman1

9mm Luger equal 380 magnum

Is a 9mm Luger what a 380 ACP magnum might have been? Or am I reading the reload manual all wrong? Strange question I know. I'm just wondering if I reading this right. I guess another question would be, could you fire a 380 ACP in a 9mm Luger? I don't know if I'm even asking that right. Just curious. It's the dumb question of the day time.
Old January 5, 2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Scorch

380 ACP = 9X17mm or 9mm Kurz, 9mm Browning Short
9mm Luger= 9X19mm, or 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Luger (after the famous pistol chambered for it)
Different cartridges with different case dimensions, not just different powder charges.

You should not try to fire a 380 ACP in a 9mm Parabellum chamber for a number of reasons:

1- The 9mm Parabellum chamber is 2mm longer. Since the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth, and teh case mouth supports the case for the firing pin strike, this will make it hard to get a proper firing pin strike.

2- 9mm Parabellum head size is .391", 380 ACP headsize in .374". If you do succeed in actually firing a 380 ACP in a 9mm Parabellum chamber it may split, with all of the unpleasant side-effects of hot gas at high pressure.

3- 9mm Parabellum cannot be fired in a firearm chambered for 380 ACP because it is too long and wil not allow the breech to go into battery. Lucky thing, becasue the 9mm Parabellum is more powerful than the 380 ACP and might cause you some physical discomfort as the gun disassembles in your hand.

4- Lastly and most importantly, if a firearm is marked as being chambered for one cartridge, you don't just shove something else into the hole. This may lead to physical discomfort and possible damage to you, the firearm, and any bystanders that may be hit by flying parts (yours or the firearm's parts).
Old January 5, 2011, 07:16 PM   #3
testuser

Oddly enough, the 9mm (1902) predates in the .380 (1908) by six years. Anyway, they use the same diameter bullet.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:14 PM   #4
David Wile

Hey Fireman,

I would also add that the .380 ACP cartridge is designed to be used in an auto pistol of blowback design, and the 9MM Parabellum/Luger is designed to be used in a much stronger recoil operated design. Then to add a little more mud to the water, there is also a 9MM Makarove cartridge which is designed to be used in blowback auto pistols. If you do not know the difference between blowback and recoil operated designs, you should do a little research on the subject.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile