The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2011, 11:43 AM   #26
GWS

Quote:
I think the issue was expnading but not belling, thus the need for the powderfunnel.com PTX device, which only bells, leaving expanding to the expander station or the bullet when inserted.
That's true, but the Powderfunnel.com device, which does only bell, is totally worthless if you plan to buy Hornady's new Bullet Feeder. The bullet feeder depends on the PTX expander's "expansion" to stick the bullet in the case with enough friction to hold it there while it rotates to the seating station. Belling only, does not work. I have the bullet feeder, and I know that by experience.

Plus if you are loading softer lead bullets, just belling can deform bullets when seating.

I can attest that the new Hornady improved PTX bells up to, and no further than, .030" over bullet diameter. .030" when pressed to the stop on the expander. Why the .030" over maximum?...because even though thats more flare than normally wanted, that's what is required to use their bullet feeder.