The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 19, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Ideal Tool

Leather scope lens cover

Hello, I was wondering does anyone know where to purchase leather scope covers..like the ones used in the first half of 20th century?
Old October 20, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Pahoo

WOW,
Sadly, I know exactly what you are talking about and have not seen any for years. If, and that is a big if, there are any being made out there, you will probably have to go out of the country for them.

Won't bother to ask why you want leather as I'm sure you have a good reason but I might suggest that you get a local leather Crafter to make you a set. Any good leather crafter shuld not have a problem, making you a set and to your requirements. Good luck !!

Be Safe !!!
Old October 21, 2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, Pahoo, and thanks for reply. The scope I have is a Zeiss 4X with elevation only, windage is done by drifting front mount in large dovetail on the claw mounts. The rifle is a pre-war German sporter in 7X57. Dealer said it was pre-war..so i'm thinking 1930's perhaps even 1920's. Had it checked by German firearms expert...It's pre-war all right...pre WW1! Gun has bright shiney bore, engraved action & floor plate, both in color-case. Fancy horn t.g. & butplate, dbl. set's. Right now I am working up cast-bullet loads, and she likes e'm heavy!