The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 27, 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
riggins_83

Savage 10 TR 308

I purchased a Savage 10 TR 308 (20" barrel) which Savage lists as a law enforcement only firearm. My LGS had received a few; not sure under what circumstances they were able to get them. For all intensive purposes it seems like the Savage 10 Precision Carbine with an all black stock. Any love for this rifle?

I'll be mounting a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope on it with Warne rings. We'll see how it shoots!

Old October 27, 2013, 10:51 PM   #2
arizona98tj

As you said, it is a Savage 10 with a 20" barrel. I shoot a Savage 10 FCP but with a longer barrel and a HS-Precision stock. It too is in the Law Enforcement line. I've no idea why. Nothing wrong with the model 10.

Last edited by arizona98tj; October 28, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:48 AM   #3
precision_shooter

My Savage 10 sports a barrel like yours, heavy profile, threaded muzzle, but mine is only 18" long. It's model 10P-SR. I love this rifle!!! I mounted a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on mine using weaver 1-piece picatinny base and Warne steel rings. Also added a JP Enterprises tactical comp to mine.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 28, 2013, 06:22 PM   #4
corky52

I like my Model 10 PC a lot. It shoots really well, if I do my part. At first I wasn't sure about the ACU pattern stock, but it grew on me. I shot the black finish metal flat olive to pick up a color in the digi pattern. The difference in color with the black finish of the metal was quite stark.
Precision Reflex Inc 1913 rail, Weaver 4-12x44 scope, Burris XTR rings, Turner AWS sling also olive.
It hits what I aim at. All I can ask.

Last edited by corky52; October 28, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
TMW89

That was a good choice on the green barrell, looks great
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old October 29, 2013, 05:10 AM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
I purchased a Savage 10 TR 308 (20" barrel) which Savage lists as a law enforcement only firearm. My LGS had received a few; not sure under what circumstances they were able to get them
Savage doesn't restrict their "Law Enforcement" rifles to LEO agencies only. Anyone can buy them. It seems to be a method they use to keep track of certain models within their extensive line. If you notice the Savage website, the Scout rifle is also listed as a Law Enforcement model. Go figure.

They're great rifles, enjoy it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 29, 2013, 05:46 AM   #7
pitbill123

I own a Savage 10FCP LE 308 HS and a Savage 10 Precision Carbine, and trust me you made an awesome decision on the rifle. Both of mine are tack drivers and shoot so well that they have improved my confidence greatly at the range and in the field...enjoy the great rifle.
Old October 29, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Mr.RevolverGuy

3 day range review of the Savage LEO 10TR LEO here http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=3014

I am waiting to hear back from Savage to see if what PawPaw has said is true. I know when I got this one I had to show ID showing I was part of an LEO organization or have federal or state letterhead to purchase.

Savage 10TR Update
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=3085

Savage 10 TR with Yankee Hill Suppressor
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=3103

This one is a 24inch barrel.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:00 PM   #9
PawPaw

Quote:
I am waiting to hear back from Savage to see if what PawPaw has said is true
Unless they've changed something recently. I've bought two of them, and while I am a practicing, full-time LEO, both times I've bought "Law Enforcement" rifles I was in civilian clothes.

For just a little while in 2003 they listed one in 7mm Rem Mag, and I snagged one for my second son who wanted a heavy-barreled 7mm. The other is a Model 10 FLP, a left-handed heavy barreled .308. My youngest son owns that one. Both of them are tack-drivers.

Old October 30, 2013, 07:17 AM   #10
precision_shooter

I'm with Paw Paw on this one. I've bought a model 10-FCP, which is listed on Savage website as Law Enforcement series, but I got mine new from Cabelas. I know plenty of other people who have bought other models listed in the Law Enforcement category as well who are not LEO...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 30, 2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Mr.RevolverGuy

Please know that it was not my intent to call into question PawPaw's integrity he is a well respected member and I hold in high esteem.

I was simply stating my past experience, as a matter of fact it was so difficult that I almost walked out of the shop to sort of say the heck with this. This is the whole reason I went to Savage to inform them they have a dealer out there making it very hard to buy their product.

Here is the story

I went into the shop speifically looking to acquire the 10TR as it was advertised in their flyer. The guy would not even hand me the rifle. I was specifically told that was for LEO only. Before producing documentation I challenged that Savage has no such program and asked when this started. They stated that it was only pertaining to this rifle, saying that Savage's hope was to get this in the hand of law enforcement officers hoping to compete with the Remington 700. I then produced ID, the clerk then took said ID went in the back and came out with his manager they then proceeded to ask was I a direct member of the swat team and could I get a letter from my Lt saying such because they did not want to loose their special program they had with Savage. I then asked to speak to the Savage rep or could they produce documentation on this program. They then actually called the owner of the shop in front me described the situation and he gave the green light. This really ticked me off and I vowed never to go back to this shop again. What is really weird is this is a very large shop in Columbus Ohio that deals a lot with police officers and the Glock trade in program. I went in with $1700 bucks in pocket expecting to buy a scope and possibly 1911 that I was really wanting but I ended up putting those funds back in my bank account.

Again I gave this history, because it was not about PawPaw it was about my horrible experience. I was so excited about this Savage but the whole experienced has sort of soured me to the rifle.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; October 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:49 PM   #12
precision_shooter

Mr.RevolverGuy,

No I'll intent meant in my post. Wasn't trying to make it seem like you were picking on pawpaw. Only posted that as a kind of "I second that" statement to give more clarity that the Law Enforcement series is not for LEO only anywhere that I have seen.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the shop in question. Sounds more like the owners policy than Savage's.
Old October 30, 2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Mr.RevolverGuy

I really didn't think that but I figured this is the internet I better try and make this clear. so not to offend anyone.
Old October 30, 2013, 06:47 PM   #14
pitbill123

Although I'm a Ret PO, I bought mine through Buds and no one asked me anything about LE ID, they just shipped it to my FFL dealer. Strange......must be the dealer, cause I don't believe its Savage.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:05 PM   #15
Keg

Quote:
I like my Model 10 PC a lot. It shoots really well, if I do my part. At first I wasn't sure about the ACU pattern stock, but it grew on me. I shot the black finish metal flat olive to pick up a color in the digi pattern. The difference in color with the black finish of the metal was quite stark.
Precision Reflex Inc 1913 rail, Weaver 4-12x44 scope, Burris XTR rings, Turner AWS sling also olive.
It hits what I aim at. All I can ask.
Corky..I likey....If I may ask..How tough is a finish like that? Also if U wanna share what kinda cost of the finish?
Old October 31, 2013, 05:26 PM   #16
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RevolverGuy
Please know that it was not my intent to call into question PawPaw's integrity
No one thought that even for a minute, least of all, me. I do think that the dealer was over-reacting. I don't believe that it was ever Savage's intention to limit the market to LEOs only. Sometimes, dealers take Tacticool to a whole 'nuther level, and it's mostly hogwash.

Some manufacturers market guns trying to precisely target LEOs (Glock, for example, with their blue-tag guns), but again, I think that's hogwash. Of course, I'm one of those old cops who think that the police are the people, and the people are the police. There's no difference between me and another citizen except I get paid to do full-time what any good citizen would do if they saw a crime.

Sorry about the rant, but I don't think that police should be considered any differently than the rest of the civil population. We're civilians that get paid to do a job, nothing more, nothing less.

Old November 3, 2013, 10:05 AM   #17
riggins_83

Rifle is coming along...

Last edited by riggins_83; November 3, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Kleab

Law Enforcement is just the name of the rifle line. No where on their website is anything listed as "LE Only".
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old November 4, 2013, 01:32 PM   #19
Mr.RevolverGuy

Call me thin skinned But I have posted this on many forums and many are saying the same thing so I am going to put the dealer out there.

It is even listed again this month in their flyer as LE Only.
http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/monthlyflyer.cfm

What's interesting is I pointed Savage to this link and explained the horrible experience I had and can't get anyone to answer me. Now keep in mind this is not the only dealer in this area for this specific rifle that has it listed as LE Only ID Required.
Old November 4, 2013, 05:08 PM   #20
wingspar

I’m posting to this thread as the Savage Model 10 is at the top of my list for a long range .308. However, I have always been totally confused by all the letters behind the 10. Below is a list of what is on the Savage Web Site. There is no TR listed at all. No where on the Savage site do they explain what all the letters stand for. All the model 10's below are listed under LE on their web site. Can someone enlighten me on what all the letters stand for? Would any of these models work better for someone that just wants to reach out to maybe 300 yards for groupings, or would all these models shoot the same?

10 BA
10 FCM Scout
10/110 FCP HS Precision
10 FCP-K
10 FCP McMillan
10 FLCP-K
10 FP-SR
10 Precision Carbine
10 FCP-SR
Old November 5, 2013, 08:47 AM   #21
riggins_83

This covers most of them- https://savagearms.zendesk.com/entri...el-names-mean-
Old November 5, 2013, 10:51 AM   #22
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins_83
Thank you. I never would have found that. Even tho it still leaves questions, it helps a lot.

I’ve seen photos of the Model 10 you have with that bolt handle, and it looks nice, however, the close up photo of the bolt handle in Mr.RevolverGuy’s review shows the bolt handle to be huge. Much larger than it looks in any other photo I’ve seen, and I see no pictures of that bolt handle on any of the rifles in the 10 Series on the Savage site with that bolt handle. Is it cumbersome to use?
Old November 5, 2013, 11:34 AM   #23
9x19

I have a 10P-SR as well. (Ellet Bros. exclusive?)

I really like the shorter, threaded, barrel (Daniel Defense comp added by me).

Old November 5, 2013, 11:37 AM   #24
riggins_83

Quote:
I’ve seen photos of the Model 10 you have with that bolt handle, and it looks nice, however, the close up photo of the bolt handle in Mr.RevolverGuy’s review shows the bolt handle to be huge. Much larger than it looks in any other photo I’ve seen, and I see no pictures of that bolt handle on any of the rifles in the 10 Series on the Savage site with that bolt handle. Is it cumbersome to use?
I don't mind the tradeoff; better leverage for long travel. The bolt handle is stipled (for lack of a better word) so it's very easy to work with one hand without slipping.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:46 AM   #25
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins_83
I don't mind the tradeoff; better leverage for long travel. The bolt handle is stipled (for lack of a better word) so it's very easy to work with one hand without slipping.
Do you carry it in a soft case, and is it hard to close the case with the bolt in the gun?

Knurled is probably the word you were looking for, but stippled gets the point across.