The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 10, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
X_shooter

Savage 11 trophy hunter xp

I have been kicking around the need or perhaps the want of a mid quality left handed bolt action rifle for deer, hogs, and other tasty things. I looked at all of the comps and maybe settled on the Savage 11 trophy hunter xp. I can get it for a little over $500 out the door. I like the accutrigger, the Nikon that comes with, and the fact I can find it in left hand.

Do any of you own this particular rifle? Would you buy it again if given the choice? Do you have any warnings of issues that may pop up? Is the quality/package worth around $500?

Lots of questions, but any guidance would be helpful. Thanks.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
taylorce1

My only suggestion is try to get your hands on one before you order. If you don't happen to like the way the Savage fits you, you might wish you had bought a different rifle. The Pro-staff is a decent scope but I'd rather have something different. I don't like the BDC's all that much, and would pay the money to get the scope that I'd want.

Other than that I'd say buy with confidence if that is the rifle you want.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Grant1110

I have owned a few Savage Rifles and shot a lot more. I have never had any malfunctions with them. My personal favorite is the 110 FP Tactical in 308Win. The only thing is, the smaller caliber rifles are sensitive of any weight on the free float barrel.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:09 PM   #4
SVTCobra306

I have the Savage 10 Trophy Hunter XP in 22-250 Rem., it's essentially the same thing with a wood stock instead of the synthetic. I also have an 11 Hunter XP in .243 Win, it's the same thing but no accutrigger and a cheaper scope. I have no regrets on either, other than wishing I had gone with the 11 Trophy Hunter XP for the .243, just to get the accutrigger, not that it makes a huge difference as I'll simply put an aftermarket trigger in it for about the same money.
Old May 12, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Weatherby Fan

First, let me say that I've had a lot of problems with savage rifles ranging from warped receivers to feeding problems to unfinished bluing to defective triggers.

Based on my experience with them I wouldn't touch one. Maybe I just have all the luck.

Anyway, my wife insisted on the trophy hunter xp and couldn't be talked out it.

Firstly, the scope is mounted really high. For both her and myself it would have had to be lower. So, we purchased a set of Burris zee rings (low). No matter how hard I pried open the zee rings they simply wouldn't slide onto the off-brand weaver style bases that came with the gun.

So, I took out my calipers and, sure enough, the bases are way over spec. I buy a good set of bases and try to remove the factory ones. Problem - they used a thread locker on the screws. The metal (aluminum?) screws were too soft to be removed with the thread locker in there and they stripped despite a good fit with the screw driver. I had to tap into them nice and deep to remove them.

Once I finally got quality rings and bases on things were fine. You might need a scope levelling kit as it was no where remotely near level from the factory. They didn't even try.

Oh ya, the monkey that "bore sighted" the rifle cross threaded and stripped both turret caps requiring an in-store swap.

The rifle seems mostly fine except that the plastic trigger guard broke on disassembly. It doesn't feed very smoothly, sometimes requiring a tap on the bolt to to finish closing it. The rings are totally trash and will need to be replaced if you want reliability. The scope was also not aligned with the bore which was the fault of the rings or bases as the problem went away once they were replaced.

I will post pictures this evening of the complete setup to see if you like the changes I made.

Ymmv but for my money there are better options. Weatherby vanguard s2, tikka t3, etc

Last edited by Weatherby Fan; May 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old May 12, 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Weatherby Fan

Double tap
Old May 12, 2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Weatherby Fan

Here it is with the burris bases and burris rings that were fitted to it. Please note that the Trophy Hunter XP only comes with a Nikon scope in the USA. If the rifle is exported to any other country it has a Weaver Kaspa with a bullet drop compensating reticle on it.

That's why my rifle in the pictures has the weaver scope rather than the Nikon.

picture hosting
Old May 13, 2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Weatherby Fan

Addendum: as you can see in the above picture, the trophy hunter doesn't use the 'standard' savage detachable box magazine. It uses the magazine from the savage axis/edge. If you need a replacement, and you likely will, you have to buy an 'axis' dbm.

This is a huge minus for this rifle.