The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 28, 2011, 11:39 AM   #1
flspy

Opinions on best bolt action & semi auto detachable mag .243 for target

I am looking for opinions of users that own detachable magazine .243 Winchester rifles. It's a nice fit between .223 and .308, has a greg variety of production ammo, and I like how fast and flat that bullet flies. I'll mostly use it for paper punching and maybe some open country hunting for deer. Not sure how good they are on hogs.

My one criteria is that it MUST be a detachable magazine fed rifle, so I can switch ammo without having to cycle through everything left in a hinged floor plate.

Also, opinions about the recoil would be helpful. My girlfriend can shoot the .223 but hates my .308, and shooting from a bench just magnifies it.
Old October 28, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
saands

I don't have the 243 version, but I do have a Browning BLR in 308 ... they make the 243 (I know because my mags are labeled "308/243") ... it is a SERIOUS tack driver and very handy. Browning also makes the BAR which is a semi-auto that has a good reputation for accuracy. S/A actions are always easier on the recoil as they use some of the recoil energy to cycle the action. That might weigh prominently in your decision. I'm sure that there are some bolt actions that are box-mag fed but I don't have any myself. The 243 is also a good choice because the 6mm bullets are available with some nice and high BC's ... and contrary to what a lot of people will tell you, bucking the wind is ALL about BC ...

Saands
Old October 28, 2011, 04:18 PM   #3
emcon5

Quote:
My one criteria is that it MUST be a detachable magazine fed rifle, so I can switch ammo without having to cycle through everything left in a hinged floor plate.
Why do you think this is important? You realize different ammo will have a different point of impact?
Old October 28, 2011, 06:14 PM   #4
flashhole

TAke a look at the CZ model 550. I had the Full Stock version. Beautiful gun, extremely accurate, low recoil and the single set trigger is one of the best you can buy in a factory gun. I just didn't care for the 243 cartridge and sold it. Been kicking myself ever since because it would be a great gun for my daughter who has shown a strong interest in hunting.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old October 28, 2011, 07:12 PM   #5
jhnrckr

Browning BAR CDNN $699
Old October 29, 2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Orphanedcowboy

I have several Browning X-bolts, from .223 to 325WSM and each one will shoot under 1" at 100yds with premium ammo, they have a detachable magazine, and come in several variations. I have varmint barreled version in .223 that will cloverleaf at 150yds with handloads.

I know Browning is the last name in the target game, but these rifles flat shoot for me.

Tags
.243 , bolt , detachable magazine , recoil