The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2002, 12:15 PM   #1
interloper

1100 modifications

I have a Remington model 1100 Skeet-B 20 gauge my father gave me a few years ago. The gun is over 25 years old as far as my memory serves. Is it feasable to make modfications for home defense or am I better served getting another shotgun all together for this purpose. I am not shy about making temporary changes as long as I can get it back to original. Thanks again.

James
Old January 3, 2002, 12:55 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

An 1100 makes a great HD tool. Just get a short bbl and you've got one. The bellsnwhistles add a bit, but not all that much.

Just get it out and shoot it. When it feels like a body part, you're a lot more capable than what all the addons and mods will get you.
Old January 8, 2002, 03:11 AM   #3
mikey357

Actually, I HATE to disagree with Dave here, BUT...two things come immediately to mind...first, your Dad's old "Skeet-B" 20 is probably a STANDARD-WEIGHT 20...newer 20-ga. 1100's are built on the "lightweight" frame, but, IIRC, all the "B-grade" 20's were built on the 12-ga. frame--hence, the "standard-weight" designation--the "standard-weight" 20's have been discontinued for some time and, as such, they have developed a degree of "cult status" among serious 1100 aficionados and have some collector interest, as well...also, parts are HARD to find for 'em...
MY suggestion would be to shoot it occasionally, leave it "stock", and search out another "scattergun" for HD use....mikey357