The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 6, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1
jstert

ruger bearcat shopkeeper & single six

i happened on a stainless ruger bearcat shopkeeper, ss, 3", 22lr in a lgs and returned next day to buy it for $350. i took it to the range yesterday to test with my single six, blue, 4.5", 22lr/22mag for comparison.

the shopkeeper's price was low, compared to what is found on the internet. i had read about shopkeeper's difficulty to eject spent rounds and poor accuracy so i guess the previous owner shot it 1-2 times and lost patience with it.

i fired about 400 22lr (federal, rem golden, cci vel, win m22, aguila?), and 30 22mag and 30 22lr rounds from the single six to compare. the shopkeeper was a joy (as was the single six of course). im very glad that i got it. after about 100 rounds my weak hand index finger hurt a bit from the shopkeeper's ejector so i wore thin leather driving gloves. indeed it was tough to eject the first 50-100 rounds but after getting the shopkeeper warmed up and wearing the gloves i found that i could hit the empty rim and readily pop out the spent rounds. the bulk ammo (esp rem golden) ejected the easiest on one tap. the cci towards the end of my time finally came out mostly on one tap. the single six's tolerances are a bit more forgiving and its larger size make ejecting easier. loading both was fine.

shopkeeper accuracy at 20 feet was within the size of my fist with the cci, aguila, federal, rem golden and win m22 best in that general order. the latter also seemed to be the dirtiest ammo. i was surprised and happy with the rem golden, after having read of lots of problems with it on the internet.

where the shopkeeper was light and let me feel the 22lr's pop, the single six was heavier so i couldnt feel the 22lr. thus shopkeeper 22lr = single six 22mag in felt effect, both very pleasant. im happy with both guns and will probably use the single six for 22mag only.

now im eager to find a ruger bearcat 22lr; if the shopkeeper is this good, the bearcat can only be better.

i would appreciate suggestions for mass market nylon or leather holsters to fit the shopkeeper; just for now i would like to pick it up and try it rather than spending over $100 for one by mail, sight unseen (but that may come later).

Last edited by jstert; November 6, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: add words
Old November 7, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2
DaleA

I'm glad the Bearcat found a good home and someone to appreciate it.

It also sounds like a fun day at the range. Running several brands of ammo thru a new .22 and finding out what the gun likes is very, very satisfying. (Although with today's .22 ammo shortage almost impossible. Good for you for having a supply.)

That said, the traditional note as always is, if there's no pictures it didn't happen. Looking forward to some photos of the guns and targets.
Old November 7, 2013, 07:32 AM   #3
mk70ss

I love my Shopkeeper. Mine is very accurate out to twenty yards or so. The sights take a little more effort for my aging eyes, but the gun shoots where it's pointed.
Old November 7, 2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Gdawgs

I love the looks of that gun. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal. Glad you are enjoying it. I sure would love to have one someday.