The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Swampman1

RCBS bench swager vs Dillon SS600 swager

Looking for anyone with experience with either, or both of the swaging tools. Is the Dillon worth the extra cost? If I heard correctly, the RCBS is about $80 and the Dillon is about $100? Need something that will easily remove crimped primer pockets and do a good job of it.
Old August 8, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Martys

I have the Dillon 600 and think its the "cats meow". Basically fast and efficient. I could go on and rave more but for the price, I don't know you can beat it IMHO.
Old August 8, 2013, 11:33 AM   #3
wogpotter

I have the Dillon also.
Pros:
Fast efficient & accurate, you can swage as fast as you can swap the cases on the mandrill. The compound linkage cam gives a lot of applied force for very little effort at the user's end of the handle.

Cons:
You MUST reset the case allignment for every caliber. The lock screw to set the depth of swaging is coarse threaded so it tends to offfset the mandrill slightly.

Would I buy another one?
Oh heck yes!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 8, 2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Swampman1

Thanks. I'm not really that concerned with speed, just that it does a good job. For only 20 bucks more, I may go with the Dillon.
Old August 9, 2013, 04:57 AM   #5
rebs

For what it is worth, I use the RCBS primer pocket swager tool in my press and it works great for me. It cost less than half the price of the other two mentioned.I bought mine used at a gun show for 15.00
Old August 9, 2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Whisper 300

Rebs,

I have both units--got the RCBS years ago and it works OK but you need to be careful about using any excessive force or better stated, STOP if it feels different because you are about to bend the rod.
Now, I must say RCBS has been stellar about my need for replacing bent rods since they have sent me 3 or 4 over the years.
Also, and maybe it is just my fat fingers, but i seem to be able to pinch the pad while holding the case in alignment, esp. if I get going a bit too fast.

Now, the Dillon--let me start out by saying I do not bleed Dillon Blue. I use what they make when I think it is the only or best for the money.
I purchased the Dillon unit when I was facing 4k 5.56 milsurp cases to be swaged and could not even imagine doing it with the old RCBS.
Spent the cash and WOW --smooth, fast, efficient. Pick a superlative.
Yeah, I know it is only a swaging tool but it is the cat's meow.

So in summation, if you have only a few cases to do, the RCBS is cheaper and works just fine.
If however you will be doing a pot full of cases, go Dillon.

IMHO

Gary
Old August 9, 2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Vance

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319...-pocket-swager
According to the reviews on Midway, most people like it. Plus RCBS is offering their rebates now.
Old August 9, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Locoweed

I looked over the various models and settled on the Dillon. I've been very happy with it. Very robust, versatile and easy to use.
Old August 9, 2013, 11:36 PM   #9
photosaurus

I got the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager-Bench Tool after it was introduced last Spring. Functionally equivalent to the Dillon Super Swage 600, it costs about twenty bucks less. Like the horizontal movement of the handle; does not require positioning at the edge of bench for manipulation. Dislike the non-captive swager head pin. Results are much better than using a reamer.
Old August 9, 2013, 11:45 PM   #10
GWS

I bought the new RCBS bench swager and reviewed it on AR15.com....the tacked thread is here. Video also. I haven't used the Dillon tool, but I think it's enough similar that the only reason to pick one over the over is personal preference. I was attracted by the option of NOT having another tool with an arm hanging over the edge of my bench. That it was $20 cheaper and matched my eyes and reloading presses' in color didn't hurt.

Works very well. Believe it or not...pictured position is the bolted down position that works perfect for me.......and lately I mounted a new Summit press in front of it. I know that seems a cluttered idea....but it actually makes for a fast case prep factory. Both the Summit and the Swager are easily removed and stored....review on the Summit is forthcoming.

Last edited by GWS; August 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Swampman1

In all the reviews I've read, I don't think I've read one single negative about the Dillon. Well I figure if only 20 bucks separates these two, may as well go for the Dillon. Ordered it yesterday. Thanks to all for their input.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

There are several videos at You Tube showing how to rig springs and linkages to cause the Dillon to have automatic anvil lift and set down and even to eject a finished case, any of which will speed up throughput (though I don't like flinging cases because of mouth dents they pick up). I don't spot any immediately for the RCBS, but it's a newer unit so it may just be a matter of time.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 10, 2013, 02:17 PM   #13
chiefr

The new RCBS looks like a Dillon.
Old August 10, 2013, 04:37 PM   #14
stubbicatt

In looking at the photo above, it seems to me that the size of the RCBS is much smaller than that of the Dillon. I find in using the Dillon that the leverage offered by the longer handle is welcome. Of course the RCBS may have some sort of compound linkage or something that would transfer forces to the swage rod, but if the handle on the Dillon were any shorter I would be concerned that it did not offer sufficient leverage for swaging 308 pockets.

I would be concerned that the RCBS would require a lot more effort to achieve the same results as one would with the Dillon.
Old August 10, 2013, 04:49 PM   #15
boostedtt91

I bought the RCBS Swager about 6 months ago even though i read some not so positive reviews on it, but i am very happy with it and works great. Easy to setup and the only part that takes alittle time is when swaging .223 brass is the mouth of the case isn't much bigger than the rod so it takes some technique to figure out the best way to load the brass where it slides over the rod.
I would recommend the RCBS swager, great tool and very useful
Old August 10, 2013, 05:11 PM   #16
osirus82

I need get one of those too, does anyone use the harvey hand de-primer? im thinking about getting one of those too.