The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 17, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
hgmeyer

Anything better than Boretech Eliminator?

Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is...LOL A co-worker made me an offer I couldn't refuse (dumb-az me). He has always talked about shooting, etc. So I wasn't surprised the other day when he said; "You know, I have a 5 gallon bucket about half full of brass, all new once fired, that I will give you if you will do a real 'professional' job of cleaning my Kimber 45!" He doesn't reload, I kniow because we have talked about it. So, sure enough he showed up at work with a shooting bag and two pistols, a Kimber Classic and a Sig Mosquito. He said he hoped I didn't mind doing the Sig as well. That is when he told me that he had never "really" cleaned the .45, just wiped it down and sometimes ran an oil patch through the bore. I looked at that half full bucket of .45 cases and cringed, several thousand rounds of FMJ (yeah thats what he always buys, he said). Somehow, I think he is getting a bargain, even if I didn't have to do the mosquito as well as the Kimber.

I actually thought about going "old school" and plugging the chamber, standing it vertical and filling it with Mercury... (Used to do that, dates me doesn't it!).

But, it is the 21st Century...Is Boretech Eliminator still the best to remove copper fouling? I need help here... I am glad I can still laugh at myswelf...
Old May 17, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
603Country

I use it and have done so for maybe a year. It's far better at copper removal than other products I've used, such as Hoppe's (of various types), Butch's Bore Shine, Shooter's Choice, and Sweets, and a couple of others that don't come to mind. I cannot say that it's the best, but can say that it's the best that I've used.
Old May 18, 2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Scorch

Why are you worried about copper fouling? 45ACP hardball travels about 800 fps, so it is not really a prime candidate for copper fouling. You can clean any copper fouling you may encounter with Boretech Eliminator quite well.

Mercury is used to remove lead fouling, and you said he shoots primarily FMJ, so why would you need mercury? Be serious. That stuff is dangerous!

Sounds like you are going to be looking at a bunch of carbon fouling, so you will need a bunch of solvent like Hoppes #9 or G96 solvent, or maybe one of the high-tech new water-based solvents like Slip 2000 or Gunzilla. I clean people's dirty guns all the time, and I get it done quite easily with Slip 2000. Last week I had a Les Baer Thunder Ranch in my shop that had stopped due to carbon fouling buildup on the rails. Took it completely apart, sprayed it liberally with Slip 2000, let it sit 20-30 minutes, then took a nylon armorers brush to it and had it cleaned up and reassembled in 45 minutes.
Old May 18, 2013, 07:00 AM   #4
CowTowner

+1 to what Scorch said. Slip 2000 carbon killer is the way to go.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 19, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
hooligan1

I use G96 for carbon, then Eliminator for copper fouling, I have used a plethora of other goods, and they aren't as good as Bore Tech's Eliminator
Old May 19, 2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Jerry45

Boretech inside the barrel and Ed's Red for the frame and all parts http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips...ve_tips.htm/53. Make up a batch ant throw the frame and parts in. Let soak while you clean the barrel. If lead bullets are used forget the Boretech. Throw the barrel in with the frame and parts.Take them out out and whip clean. I've used it on my 1911's for years and they have "never" failed to function.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:49 PM   #7
hgmeyer

Scorch...

Mercury also dissolves copper. That was "old school" back in the 60s and 70s when nothing else was around. I still have a "jar" of mercury that is heavy and 3/4ths full... Enough to do a .30 caliber 30" barrel. But, I don't use it...EVER. Like I said... "I was tempted"... BTW, by weight, there are 6100 .45 cases in the bucket!!!
Old May 21, 2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
Scorch...
Mercury also dissolves copper. That was "old school" back in the 60s and 70s when nothing else was around.
I am aware that mercury will amalgamate most other metals, just that there is no reason to use it on copper. Back in the 70s we used ammonia or nitrobenzene on copper, worked great. Mercury was generally reserved for lead. But mercury is also toxic, so even then I didn't play with it much. Nowadays, I wouldn't even think of it unless a barrel was leaded so bad I couldn't scrub it out.