The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Would you get it ??
Yes 9 25.00%
No 21 58.33%
What is a Colt Double Eagle 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
smee78

Colt Double Eagle Commander 40S&W

Hey everyone,

Was out bumming around and found a Colt Double Eagle Commander in 40S&W, it was used and had the blue box and one mag. It is the Commander size and is the only one I have seen in 40. I have seen two others in 10mm but the price was to much. This gun was listed for $599 and I am real tempted, I got rid of all my 40 S&W guns a few years ago but this may draw me back in. This would be the seldom carried and a once in a while range gun...What say you?
Old January 17, 2013, 04:33 PM   #2
RickB

I think only the Commander was chambered in .40. A couple of years ago, I tracked them on gunbroker for a couple of months, thinking of buying one, but something else got in the way (probably my lack of enthusiam for adding .40 to the selection of rounds for which I handload). Sellers seemed to think they were worth $600-$750, but I rarely saw any bids exceeding $550, so the same guns were posted over and over again.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:09 PM   #3
smee78

RickB, Thanks for the info. I'm in the same boat, I sold off my 40 stuff a few years ago but this might be a gun I get and just pick up a few hundred rounds for and be happy. I dont know.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4
grumpa72

For quite a number of months I had an itch (don't ask me why but I did) for a DE Commander. I watched Gun Broker and other sites and everybody was asking sky high prices. If I could find a DE Commander for that price I would have whiped out credit card so fast that it would have been smoking. The DE doesn't seem to have much of a following saying such things as "an answer looking for a question". I find them very interesting and unique.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:11 AM   #5
1stmar

Para lda would be a better choice
Old January 18, 2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It would be a rare pistol, for sure. While there may be more practical choices, IMHO if you like it and if you can afford it, that sounds like a pretty good price so I'd buy it.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7
smee78

"Para lda would be a better choice" A choice for what? This would be more of a just to have pistol, I have pleanty of others for CC and what not. This would just be a interesting piece for the collection. I think I will scrach this itch and get this one just because, not because I need it but just because.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:27 PM   #8
1stmar

I guess I assumed you were looking for a double action 1911 style pistol, the para lda will have a better trigger (lighter) then the colt.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9
jglsprings

Nope, it's the only Colt I'd call UGLY.

Commas save lives...
Old January 18, 2013, 10:55 PM   #10
KenW.

I voted "no". I used a full-size .45ACP Double Eagle for several years. There are so many better guns out there you'd be foolish to not take advantage of one.

If you're collecting, as opposed to shooting, you may choose otherwise. But for defensive, shooting, and carry purposes; no.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:38 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If you do buy it, and haven't owned one before, proceed VERY carefully when removing the grip panels. The grips on both sides retain small, hairspring type springs that will go walkabout if you remove the grips carelessly. You'll also want to pay close attention the first time, so you'll see how the springs are supposed to fit. (And hope they are installed correctly. I worked on one a couple of years ago that was sold from one collector to another, and when I opened it up I found the springs on both sides were seriously messed up. I don't think the seller had any idea -- he had never shot it -- it just sat in his safe for about ten years.)
Old January 19, 2013, 01:43 PM   #12
smee78

Thanks for the info so far everyone, again if I do get this gun it will be more for the collectable/weird addition to my gun collection. I will take it out a few times and shoot it but for the most part it will get cleaned up and saved for some feture date when we all dont have guns anymore and I will pull it out and the guys at the range will put down there ray guns and come over to see what the oldtimer has.
Old January 20, 2013, 05:00 PM   #13
smee78

Any one have any pics? Also has any one tried the VZ grips?
https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/colt/c...le-eagle-grips
Old January 20, 2013, 09:47 PM   #14
PatientWolf

I have a SS DE Commander in .45 and love the way it shoots. Some find it a little big in their hands though, so make sure you handle one.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:15 AM   #15
Cowboyflyer

KenW Wrote:
QUOTE]I voted "no". I used a full-size .45ACP Double Eagle for several years. There are so many better guns out there you'd be foolish to not take advantage of one.

If you're collecting, as opposed to shooting, you may choose otherwise. But for defensive, shooting, and carry purposes; no. [/QUOTE]

I also carried one as a duty gun. Had a bad experience on the range where the little spring in the grip came off! No trigger action! So back in the box it went. I still have it to this day, but will not use it or carrie it. I love Colt's...But not this one!
Old January 22, 2013, 01:49 AM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

The Double Eagle wasn't Colt's most laudable achievement.

I had one in .45, and it wouldn't run anything but ball. I ended up selling at a loss.

Didn't know they had made one in .40, though.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:17 AM   #17
rodfac

Don't know if it's germane to the discussion, but here's a Gold Cup Elite in .40 S&W that I found nearly 20 years ago. Not my most accurate Colt by any means, but is absolutely reliable. Apparently Colt ran a small run of this particular model in the 80's; but I'd have to check with a serious collector to nail down the numbers produced.

The gun's capable of 1.5" accuracy at 25 yds, with selected hand loads, but occasionally throws one out to 2.5" to 3"... and believe me when I say that I've tried to correct that flyer. The .40 S&W has not proven to be as accurate as any of my .45's and barely keeps up with the 9's, but I do like the variety of bullet weights and configuration available.

HTH's Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:15 PM   #18
smee78

Well even though the poll says not to I went ahead and put it on law-a-way. The gun has a good DA/SA trigger and and comes with the blue Colt box and an org mag. Plus with it being a Commander in 40S&W I said why not. I went ahead and ordered 2 Wilson combat 40 mags from Midway (in stock) and they are on there way, I will take it out a shoot a box or two of ammo through her and if all works well, clean her up well and put her into the safe with her brothers (Colt Combat Commander 45acp satin nickel) and sisters (Colt Mustang plus 2/Colt Pony 380's). All in all I think this will be a good addition to the collection, thanks everyone with the imput so far and I will post a few pick when it comes out of law-a-way.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:29 PM   #19
RickB

I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:21 PM   #20
smee78

I hope I do, I have blown more on worse decisions