The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #26
tobnpr

Is this really a "safe"- as in steel or concrete walls and a vault door?
Old October 17, 2012, 05:36 AM   #27
Magnum Wheel Man

$16,000.00 of concrete & steel... a custom made multi layer steel fire proof door... um... yep, it's a safe
Old October 18, 2012, 07:22 PM   #28
stuffrider147

pictures!!!
Old October 19, 2012, 05:27 PM   #29
tobnpr

Quote:
$16,000.00 of concrete & steel... a custom made multi layer steel fire proof door... um... yep, it's a safe
Sorry...didn't see your post #25 with the description.

Concrete walls and ceilings are pretty straightforward, the custom door/frame/hardware sounds interesting?
Old October 24, 2012, 06:30 AM   #30
Magnum Wheel Man

Rounded the 2nd corner enough with my paneling boards, that I can start construction of my 1st ammo bench... base of the bench is 2 treated 2" X 8" X 4' boards ( 15" actual width ) these will be anchored to the floor, some cedar 1" X 2" will be glued & screwed together for a frame & along the paneling in the back, my paneling 1" X 6" tonge & groove boards are 8ft in length, so I have enough left over from the walls, since ceiling height is only 6' 6", for the sides of the benches which are 18" high... a plywood top, that will be padded & removeable will complete the bench ( the removeable bench tops could be assembled into a bed sized area, if there were ever the need to spend the night in the safe room )... at 4ft wide, each bench will hold 12 - 30 caliber ammo cans on the width, & the bench will be tall enough to hold 2 cans high... the ammo cans will be labeled as to which caliber & fire arm they are meant for... empty cases on reloadable ammo will be in the ammo can under the loaded rounds... the benches will be placed under the gun racks on the walls, with ammo for the guns on those racks... this 1st rack will all be bolt action sporting rifles, & starting with the lil 17 Mach 2, through what ever I'm at on the 8th rifle working up in caliber... rounding the corner, will be another bolt action rifle rack, & it's corrisponding ammo bench... that'll end in .416 Rigby ( I think that's my biggest bore bolt action right now )... anyway... this will give me a corner bench arrangement that's 4ft wide on one side, & 6 ft wide on the other side... should be some room for some revolvers, & then my loading bench will finish that wall...

I'm really motivated to get enough of the wall insulated & paneled to get the loading bench built... by then, I'll be in the position to get some guns on the walls finally...

Like I mentioned before, this has been planned out for over 15 years... I'm really excited to be getting to this point

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 24, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:48 AM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

haven't got a dollar in my pocket, but I bought 8 more paneling boards, & can now finish the whole corner ammo bench... it should be finished by day's end, except for foam & seat cover... I have a display board I'm doing for my pocket & wrist watch collection, thinking royal blue or deep red fabric ( satin, minki, or velvet ) cover over plywood, then brass hooks to hang everything... waiting on MRS to get me the fabric... once I decide / get that fabric, I'll do matching vinyl on the bench cushions...

I'm at the point of getting ready to starting to apply a finish to the paneling... right now I'm thinking water based clear urethane ( less smell... spray painting ( white ) the exposed parts of the I beams about killed me with the smell & fumes, as I won't have all the exhaust / air inlets functioning till next spring )... but I'm open for suggestions on finish, as long as it's both very clear, & low odor... thinking semi gloss in the water based urethane... that stuff is right around $50.00 a gallon, but will look nice, won't add any color to my natural looking wood... sounds like it's not quite as durabile as oil based, but less smell, & easier clean up... once the walls are finished as far as I've gotten, I can look at starting to hang my 1st guns...

where I've gotten to with the paneling, is to the edge of my loading bench area, so I can get several guns hung up, without adding any more wood... I do have to finish paneling this wall & around the next corner 30" or so, so I can start my loading bench... thinking good solid wood, with a stainless steel bench top... I have 6 outlets around the bench, 3 above, & 3 below... the dehumidifier & the sump pump, are both under where the bench will be...

any problems you guys could think of using the water based urethane ???
Old October 27, 2012, 04:58 PM   #32
tobnpr

Pics would be beneficial if you want feedback/suggestions on finishes...
A picture is worth...you know...
Old October 30, 2012, 07:44 AM   #33
Magnum Wheel Man

talked to my wood guy & my machinist ( machinist will be drilling my angled holes for the pegs on my wall hanging units )... I'll be mocking up some from just left over pine boards & hardware store dowels, this weekend, to make sure my design is just right... I'm still thinking roughly 2 - 2" X 4" X 4' for the rifles, with 2 rows of dowel holes drilled 2" apart, & staggered ( 2nd row 1/2 way between the 1st row holes ) I think this will be versitile enough to hang a wide variety of long guns from, for a nice display... the hand guns I'm thinking the same dowel hole lay out, but on a 2" X 6" X 4' or if needed a 2" X 8" X 4'... I have enough scrap lumber laying around to mock up all 3 sizes & see what will work the best... once that's decided, my lumber guy has all the Hackberry lumber in stock ( matches my paneling boards )... he'll cut them in 4' lengths, run them through the planer / sander, & radius the 4 corners... then to my machinist, who will put the evenly spaced, slightly angled holes in the boards, then on to a 3rd guy, that will router a pattern ( not chosen yet ) around the front edges... then some finish, & I'll finally be able to hang my 1st guns... BTW... lumber guy will make up my dowels from the same Hackberry, they use a CNC machine, & I can get a nice tight slip fit dowel set up, so I can easily change them around as I need to...
Old November 5, 2012, 08:18 AM   #34
Magnum Wheel Man

Mocked up my design of the gun racks, just using pine construction lumber, & cheap hardware store Chinese dowels... the design works awesome, I cut 1/2" dowels in 4" lengths, & can slip them into one of the holes in the 2 rows of holes drilled 2" apart, ( the rows are staggered, so I have 1" of adjustment between both rows of holes ) I currently have my smallest bolt action ( a lil 12 Mach 2 ) a medium bolt action ( my custom Remington 700 in 17 Fireball ) & my biggest bolt action ( a custion 416 Rigby ) ... no scope on the Rigby yet, 4-12 power on the 17 Fireball, 2-7 power on the Mach 2... my CAS exposed hammer, double barrel shotgun, My lever action 45 Colt, & a single shot .410 all hanging on the same rack, with level barrels, & even spacing between them all... I'm totally happy with that design, & am going to start on 3 pairs for the walls, out of matching lumber to my paneling...

the handgun rack was the same design, but done on a 2 X 6 instead of a pair of 2 X 4's... I can get everything to hang from my lil Taurus TCP, to my long cylinder Dan Wesson 357 Maximum ... not sure if an X frame Smith would work, but we'll see later, when I actually buy an X frame... some of the more challenging to hang & display are the autos... I'm using 2 dowels in the same row, one in the trigger guard, & one over the slide, & so far that seems to work well on everything I've tried... my big bore snubbie revolvers are a challenge the Ruger Alaskan wants to flip over if I hang it from the front of the trigger guard, but if I go behind the trigger it'll hang fine... my 45 Colt single action snubbie the barrel barely makes it to the other row, but works... I may have to make a special rack out of the 2 X 4 for my antique pocket revolvers...

but I finally have guns hanging from the walls... albeit on mocked up racks... but I'm really happy with how things are working out
Old November 5, 2012, 09:35 AM   #35
pturner67

Old November 7, 2012, 08:32 AM   #36
Magnum Wheel Man

well... last night I put my 1st coat of urethane on my wood paneling ( man that really makes the grain & color variation pop on that Hackberry ) I got about 1/2 of the room done, past where the ammo benches & 2 rifle racks will go... I'll be giving everything a 2nd coat tonight... I decided to use semi gloss water based urethane... it's easy to work with, 1st coat soaked into the wood pretty well, it dries quickly ( especially with the dehumidifier running in there ), & cleans up easily

my 6 rifle rack base boards are being done up right now, will be ready to pick up Thursday, finish planed & sanded, 1/2" radius on the front edges & with the corners radiused as well... they'll be ready to drill the holes & finish... this will do up 3 rifle racks, all are 48" long & built out of 1 15 /16" X 4" rough planed boards, one board is at 44" length, as I have an exhaust fan switch box at the top of where one rack will hang... they should be finished out at like 1 3/4" X 3 3/4" X 48"... I think I'm going to use oak or hickory 1/2" dowels... I'm hoping my machinist buddy can do the holes in the 6 boards over the weekend... if so, I could have my rifles hanging on the walls by next weekend...

my next batch of paneling boards should be here next Thursday ( 2 week lead time ) & a couple more boards on the wall, & I can start my work bench... which now that I'm getting closer, I've got a better idea on... 5' X 32" bench top, with 2 - 12" shelves over the top, mounted on the wall... will likely get a couple drawer slide mounts, & add a couple drawers under as well
Old November 11, 2012, 08:35 PM   #37
Lawmaker

It is my dream to have a walk in. Next house I will build with a "safe room" so it can be approved by the SO.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:43 AM   #38
Magnum Wheel Man

I test hung up bolt action rifles on my walls last night... got my bored vertical rack boards back from my machinist on Monday... put a couple coats of urethane on them, bored 2 screw counter sink holes, measured where they needed to be, so the longest stock & barrels would fit properly in the corner, & put them up... I'll finish putting a couple more coats of urethane while they are mounted on the walls... I used my cheapie hardware store dowels to verify everything would hang up right... I picked up a pack of 1/2" mushroom shapped plugs... my 1st thought was to cover up the screws, but MRS suggested I put them in all the non-used holes, after I finish setting everything up... I like that idea, it'll give everything a more custom look, & if I wanted to shift anything around, I'd just have to pop out the plug & slip a dowel in the hole... I got 14 scoped bolt actions on the rack in the corner, & have room for a couple more... I might pull my 25-06 with the unertl scope on it, out of the storage crate, to make sure that'll fit ok... I have a little bolt action single shot & my CASS lever gun on the wall right now, those will come down, giving me room for 4-5 more rifles in the corner total ( I just put them up to verify that my measurement were correct for a full variety of guns ) the lever guns will go on a different wall, along with my single action revolvers... the single shot will likely go on the moveable /wheeled center vertical rack, that the shotguns & other single shot big bore rifles will be going on... I think I have 5-6 more bolt action repeaters in the storage crate that will go on the wall in this corner... it's a dream come true... to see them on the wall in all their glory... now to pull them down, & finish up the racks, so they can get back to their new home...

I'm also thinking about some sort of finishing touch to the dowel ends ( brass would look nice ??? )... I planned on finish sanding them nice, but a round ball, some sort of cap, or even a drawer pull on the end might look nicer... just thinking about ideas... that'll get done much later, after the rest of the room is completed... I was thinking, that a 1/2" deep brass ring, might look intersting, with finished wood on the end ) again MRS suggested the ends of cases ( I had some case head "buttons" made up from old case heads, for my holster making a while back ) that would be cool, but doing the rim fire 17 would be tougher, & I don't think there is a head stamp on any rimfire ??? but for the centerfire cartridges, that could be done, by gluing a case head button from the cartridge the gun is chambered for on the end of the 2 dowels used for that rifle ???

any other suggestions for dressing up the ends of the dowels ???

I'll have the next lot of paneling in on Thursday, & will be able to finish up the other corner, so I can start my loading bench...

I'll have to find a way to get a couple pics up somehow, as the finished Hackberry looks mighty nice, under all those bolt actions...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; November 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:56 PM   #39
pturner67

Looking forward to the pics. From what you've described, it sounds really nice!!
Old November 16, 2012, 10:13 AM   #40
Magnum Wheel Man

Made good headway last night, picked up another $150.00 worth of foam insulation ( we had some very cold weather a week back ), & some of the exposed steel ceiling that the concrete was poured on, was sweating, ( most of it is insulated with 3.5" of foam ) so I want to get the rest of the insulation in the ceiling ( need to do some the cuts around the lighting fixtures yet, & a big chunk in the middle of the room )...

picked up 16 more wall paneling boards, & that's enough to get my lever gun / coach shotgun rack up, & start on my loading bench corner... I think I'm going to do up some more of the 2 X 4 racks, & use them for the double action & single action revolver racks... ( my machinist can't fit / work with an 8" board, on his smaller home shop equipment ) & I think 4 rows of dowel holes will give me more flexability, so I'll have my guys start on those next week... with the plan being putting 2 of them next to each other for each revolver rack

for the loading bench, I just bought a pair of machinist drawers, that I can stack... they are sold by Fastenal, ( they have a store just across the street from where I work ) they are rollerbearing trays, that removeable, latchable drawer / boxes fit into, so I can use them as a regular drawer, or grab the handle, & remove the whole box to set on the bench top... they have removeable plastic devider trays that fit into them... I'm stacking two 4 drawer units on top of each other under one end of my bench, they are the perfect size for what I was looking for, 2 units stacked measure 30" high giving me floor to bench drawers with a bench height at 32" they are 20" wide, which is just right to fit between the end of the bench, & the 1st outlet under my bench...they are only like 12" deep, so I'll have some storage behind them, they're for commercial use, so are nice & heavy duty, are a nice medium blue color, which I think I'll use to match the vinyl for the seat cushions for the ammo benches & the fabric for my watch collection display board... I plan on starting to lay out the bench this weekend... still trying to decide on the material to use for the 2 shelves over the bench... I was going to use that white partical board stuff for closets ( they'll be supported on both sides, & on the back ) but I've seen some of these sheves warped across the front from long term use storing all the loading dies, etc... so I was going to add an angle of magnetic stainless across the front, for some more support, & to allow magnet use for notes... but now I'm thinking of having my fabricator buddy bend me up some stainless to use for the sheves, to match the stainless I plan to put on my bench top ???

this is what my drawer cabinets look like... ( I bought 2 of them, they'll stack on top of each other... the drawer / box inserts remove as a single unit, in case I want to put larger parts or tools in the drawer )

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=63004

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=63005

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; November 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:25 AM   #41
Magnum Wheel Man

Looking forward to the extra time off this holiday weekend... last night I cut some treated 2 X 8's & leveled them for the base for the drawer sections ( the floor is sloped towards the sump pump pit, which is under the bench, beside the drawers, since there are no floor drains in the "room" )... I got the level 2 x 4's around the walls, which will also support the bench top & am now ready for the plywood bench top... will pick up 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood, & the material for the 2 - 12" shelves today... once the plywood is in place, I'll measure up for my stainless bench top...

started on the base for the 2nd corner ammo storage bench last night also, since I have most of the paneling boards up now, so with the extra time off this weekend, I should get quite a bit done on that as well... I was in shopping for vinyl for the ammo bench seat cushions yesterday, trying to match my blue drawers... I also have a small 4 ft steel office desk, that will hold hold our important papers in a file drawer, & give MRS MAGNUM a place to put her jewlery box... I have to disassemble it to get it downstairs anyway, & it's grey right now, was thinking about painting it tan ( about the color of the wall paneling ) or white, while I had it apart, but now may paint it the same blue... I think Fastenal has spray paint to match their cabinets ???

amaizing how fast the space is getting smaller, with a small steel desk, 2 corner ammo storage benches, & my loading bench now taking shape... the guns themselves don't take up much space, just all the other "stuff" really eats into the room space

got my 1st plastic panel ( light cover ) under one of the 4' flourecent lights... it diffusses alot of light, but cuts the brightness some... but looks good...balance of the ceiling will be aluminum diamond plate inset in white suspended ceiling grid

BTW... I'm so happy with how my gun racks are turning out, that I've decided to do up a few extras for a couple buddies for Christmas, as I've got the wood guy making up my next group of them

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; November 21, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:41 AM   #42
Magnum Wheel Man

Got alot done over the long weekend... finished my loading bench ( well still need to get the stainless bench top yet ) but used 2 layers thick of 3/4" plywood glued & screwed bench is 60" x 30" has my drawer sections under one end... I did get my sump pump installed ( it's under my bench, along with the dehumidifier... I was getting tired of bailing the dehumidifyer water out anyway, & now that the bench covers the sump pit, it was time to spend the money on a pump ) there are 2 - 12" shelves over the top of the bench... got a couple coats of urethane on the walls behind the shelves, & started moving my loading dies to the safe / room... also added a small shelf stereo ( I was using my MP-3 player & a battery powered speaker... & was going through too many batteries )

also built a 2nd corner ammo storage bench... this unit will house the ammo for my lever action rifles, single action revolvers, & CAS double barrel shot guns, which will be on racks over this bench section... this pretty much finishes the "construction" of this room... I still have alot of calking & urethane to do yet, as well as trimming, & most all of the ceiling ( which is still pretty much all foam )

at this point, I'll mention, there is a 2nd room, which is to be hidden, when I get the door / cabinet completed... total space is 10' X 22' with a devider wall that helps support the 3 I beams... so I've been working on getting the back room insulated, & the steel framed for the door between the rooms... I'll still be using the Hackberry paneling in the back room, which will be used primarily for bullet casting, reloading component storage ( there are 2 more inlet / exhaust fans in that room, as well as another sump pump pit ) as well as housing other emergency supplys... ( not "doomsday" prepping, just emergency prepping ) so there are "some" guns ( antique collectables, & some shotgun collections that my FIL had collected ) that won't fit in the front room, plus I've allowed space to put down the ammo storage bench padded covers as a bed, if needed ( tornados during the night, etc. ) plus several shelves for emergency supplies... so far I don't have any wood on the walls in the back room, but I do have the wiring completed, & a good portion of the treated 1" X 4" on the walls, so paneling will start going up soon, since the front room's walls are now complete, except for some trimming around the devider wall doorway

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; November 26, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:34 AM   #43
Magnum Wheel Man

my fabricator buddy needed to borrow a set of my hot rod tires for fitting on his car, so he was over & measured for my stainless bench top last night... ( it's a little complex, with the front being rolled over, & 1/2 of the left side. the other 1/2, the back, & the right side will fit flush to the wall... the left front corner will be welded where the 2 rolled over edges meet up...

might have my bench top done by this weekend ??? if I can come up with the $200.00 the stainless costs
Old December 3, 2012, 10:01 AM   #44
Magnum Wheel Man

Got a holy mess right now, as I'm in the process of moving ammo & reloading stuff... all my ammo is going from a set of 6 - 5ft shelves ( about 70 different calibers ) into 30 caliber ammo cans that will store in the ammo benches... Contender ammo will be last to go, since I haven't gotten the the racks designed or built for all the Contender barrels, but I got the rest of the bolt actions & lever guns out of my storage crates... & they are all on display, except for the CZ / BRNO rifles, & handguns, which will go on a seperate display rack, & the 2 shotgun collections the FIL had...

I also discovered it's now time to do some trading... I have a Herters international ( full length manlicher stock ) with a Herters scope, in .270... as nice as the rifle is, I think I want a more traditional american sporting style rifle in .270... so may get a Tika, or see what my LGS has on hand, in that caliber...

also have a really nice Remington 600 in 6mm Remington, wearing a Bushnel 3 X 9 on a one piece base, & a couple boxes of 6mm Remington headstamp cases... the lil bolt action, doesn't fit in well with my other bolts, so I may trade that one off... from 17 caliber to 53 caliber, I don't have any gaping holes ( already have a .243... my 1st rifle... stainless Ruger )... so I may pick up a .308 or 7mm Magnum bolt action, to fit between my 7 X 57, & 30-06... any other suggestions here ??? 284, or ???

I knew I was wanting to get a 22 lever gun, but looks like I have space for a 44 Magnum or 44-40 lever gun as well... I have an Ithica single shot 22 lever gun on the rack, but that will move to the single shot rack, once that is done...
Old December 10, 2012, 06:33 PM   #45
Magnum Wheel Man

Really starting to look like I wanted... at least in the "front room"... I now have all the guns on the walls... the same drilled 2 X 4 arrangement worked well for all guns, different spacing between the bolt actions & the lever actions... revolvers use the same racks, only with with a 1/2" spacing...

got my stainless bench top slid in place... I need to contact cement it into place yet this week... working on pulling apart the steel desk, thats going in the one corner, so I can fit it into the room, & get it painted to match the drawers under my bench... as it starts to get visually like what I'm looking for, I'll try to sneek a few pics in here...
Old December 17, 2012, 07:15 AM   #46
Magnum Wheel Man

OK... finally sneaking in a couple pictures...

this is the back room, which is still more "unfinished"

When I nstarted this thread, it had nothing to do with my room, I wanted to know what to use to hand on the walls... well... he's what I came up with... I like how versitile the system is... here is one pic from the front room, shows my bolt actions, & double action revolvers note the top of the rack on the left has the plugs added to the holes, my ammo storage benches near the floor ( still need foam & vinyl ) & the corner of my loading bench, in the lower right corner... this is my hackberry paneling, with 2 coats of semi gloss urethane

Attached Images
File Type: jpg basement unfinished 1.JPG (114.0 KB, 1136 views)
File Type: jpg basement unfinished 2.JPG (144.4 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg basement NW corner.JPG (197.3 KB, 4451 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 20, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:27 PM   #47
pturner67

That looks really nice!!!
Old December 20, 2012, 07:15 AM   #48
Magnum Wheel Man

still working on it just about every night... a couple more pics...

The lever actions, coach guns, & single action revolvers

foam & vinyl added to the storage benches from the 1st pic...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basement unfinished 3.JPG (206.8 KB, 1947 views)
File Type: jpg Basement unfinished 5.JPG (224.4 KB, 1334 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 20, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:19 AM   #49
Magnum Wheel Man

a couple more... BTW... last night I finally got the custom steel door hung... about 350 lbs of steel door ( before the cement gets added to it ) down the basement stairs, but, at least the door fit perfectly

my loading bench... something about flat surfaces in a work area

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basement unfinished 4.JPG (223.9 KB, 1097 views)
File Type: jpg Basement unfinished 6.JPG (220.5 KB, 1307 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 20, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old December 21, 2012, 12:38 AM   #50
vostracker

Hole

I like that PVC Firemans pole to go down the escape hatch!!! LOL