The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Mike / Tx

Ranch Dog Molds...

I know there are a few who have a 41 magnum. Well if you ever wanted a good looking RFN TL type heavy boolit for it here's your chance at a good deal on the whole kit and kaboodle. Thought I would pass this on while supplies last.

Found this posted on RD's homepage,

"Check out the “Specials” listed in the box on the left side of this page.

Ranch Dog is discontinuing these items to make room for his 2012 offerings. Not only is now the time to take advantage of the discount pricing but these items may not be offered again."

TLC411-255-RF with .411 Lube & Size Kit plus 41 Mag FCD
$79.64
Save: 21% off

You can have it with or without the GC for a bit more or a combination of 3 each.

I have been wanting to get something like this so figured why not and picked up the whole kit. Since I have been playing with the Lee 300gr RF in my 45 Colt and 454 I have a whole new respect for the authority that these type boolits exhibit out to some pretty extended ranges.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Koveras

I can vouch for the quality of the RD molds and sizers. They work great!

But this particular bullet is designed for the Marlin 1894FG and will not chamber in a lot of 41 Mag revolvers due to the diameter of the nose portion.

My experience with my personal guns:

Ruger Redhawk: Works great
Taurus Raging Bull: Works great
Ruger Blackhawks: Depends on which one, generally will not chamber or chambers with difficulty.
S&W 657: Will not chamber

The above is using the bullet sized to .411" (the sizer included in the package deal) and seated to the crimp groove.

It is a good mold, but I don't want people to order this for their revolver and be disappointed and then have a negative view of RD products.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

I went to his site and was confused by what seemed an oxymoron. "Lee custom" molds. Lee is a manufacturer. RD claims "custom" molds. But, reading his info on the site, he, indeed, does have his molds custom made by Lee. Pretty unique business model.
Old December 6, 2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

Koveras,

Thank you for bringing that up. Something I utterly failed to consider.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:20 PM   #5
grubbylabs

Yes Mike has his molds made my Lee. He seems to do a lot of testing with his designs and Lee is good enough to produce his designs which as I understand it only he sells on his web site.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old December 6, 2011, 10:28 PM   #6
TXGunNut

That's my understanding as well. Seem to be very good if you like casting them hard and pushing them fast.
Looks like I'll get an opportunity to cast a few this week. Five day hunt became a two-day hunt. Headed home to play.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.